Bourbon

Jimbaround

41 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

still never seen ezra 7 or new riff on the shelf in Austin.  not seen that bakers or woodford before either.

There’s some Baker’s SiB in Houston. I bought a bottle the second it was available at Total Wine, but I’ve seen it on the shelf. I haven’t tried it yet. 

I’m fine with Four Roses Small Batch Select,  and Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength being on the list. Heaven Hill 7, Woodford Reserve Batch Proof, and Dickel SiB shouldn’t be on there. It feels like a Best New Bourbon List rather than Best of 2020. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, brown water said:

Yes. Great reviews - Whisky Advocate’s pick of the year.  I found a couple bottles and don’t know I’d go that far but for what it is and at the price point...

http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-reviews/?search=&submit=&brand_id=54&rating=0&price=0&category=0&styles_id=0&issue_id=0

How did Legent not make that list? That’s some bullshit 

Wife came around on it so just booked a Kentucky trip for Spring Break.    Been looking forward to this for the past few years.

3/19-3/22

Tentative Itinerary:

Thursday:

Land in Louisville and have a nice dinner and relax

Friday:

Maker's Mark-  get to hand dip bottles from my Ambassador program barrel that has had my name on it for 7 years.

Old Forester

Michter's

Saturday:

Wild Turkey

Four Roses

Buffalo Trace

Sunday:

Heaven Hill

Angel's Envy

Close to what I did last spring break for a bachelor party. Hit Le Moo for dinner that first night (great wine list). Heaven hill might be a bummer compared to most of the rest because what we saw was the “heritage center”. You’re not even onsite of a distillery. Just a big gift shop with a tasting room attached. Try to hit one of the cooperages as well. Damn fine tour and amazing craft.

If you need to sober up after AE, against the grain brewing (which is distributed here) is literally across the street in the baseball stadium.

Have fun. Be merry. Hook em.

Edit: we stayed in the brown hotel. It’s nice and all. The legendary “hot brown” is so so when you’re used to getting amazing breakfast tacos and honey butter chicken biscuits. Trying White Castle for the first time was a nice drunk experience.

• Like 2

Good Bourbon Pursuit pod this week, Episode 236. It’s about distributors. 

As expected, no transparency, pay for play, system of insider favors, and plenty of swag. I found the fight between liquor stores and bars for allocated bottles pretty interesting. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Wife came around on it so just booked a Kentucky trip for Spring Break.    Been looking forward to this for the past few years.

3/19-3/22

Tentative Itinerary:

Thursday:

Land in Louisville and have a nice dinner and relax

Friday:

Maker's Mark-  get to hand dip bottles from my Ambassador program barrel that has had my name on it for 7 years.

Old Forester

Michter's

Saturday:

Wild Turkey

Four Roses

Buffalo Trace

Sunday:

Heaven Hill

Angel's Envy

If you are staying in Louisville for this whole trip I hope you have a driver.  Some of those distilleries are quite a hike from there. 

Also, second the recommendation for Woodford if you can squeeze it in.

Also, Castle & Key is a very cool new distillery (located in the old EH Taylor Castle, you could swing through there on your way to Buffalo Trace ... its worth seeing)

On 1/15/2020 at 6:58 AM, Brew said:

You need to go skiing. Both were sitting on shelves everywhere we stopped. Picked up a bottle of Michters 10 in Frisco otherwise I probably would have brought some ER home because I don’t see it often here.

Very much this right here.

Was in Crested Butte for New Years and got a bottle of BIB Henry McKenna 10yr (not available for me locally)

Also, they had Weller Antique 107 and 12, but they were gouging on prices ($150 & $250 respectively)

15 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

Woodford reserve is worth seeing too if you can squeeze it in on the Saturday. 

Agree.  When I went the only reservation they has was for 10am.  I was hungover and almost blew it off.  So glad I didn't.  As I said earlier it's a beautiful property and a beautiful drive out there. Of course I only have BT to compare it too so maybe it's like plenty of others.

36 minutes ago, deft said:

Yes, you need a driver or tour package. Some of these places are far out and down crazy windy roads.

Why would I need a driver?  Other than the tastings, the only time we will be drinking heavily will be at dinner in Louisville.

The way I've tentatively planned it out it doesn't seem that bad.

Friday we head to Maker's first which is an hour or so outside of Louisville and after there it's an hour or so to Woodford Reserve, head back to Louisville to do Old Forester and Michter's.

Saturday head to Wild Turkey first then Four Roses which are 15 min apart then head to Buffalo Trace.

Yes, it's some driving, but it doesn't seem to difficult to pull off.   
Am I way off base here?   Thanks for any input!

7 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Why would I need a driver?  Other than the tastings, the only time we will be drinking heavily will be at dinner in Louisville.

The way I've tentatively planned it out it doesn't seem that bad.

Friday we head to Maker's first which is an hour or so outside of Louisville and after there it's an hour or so to Woodford Reserve, head back to Louisville to do Old Forester and Michter's.

Saturday head to Wild Turkey first then Four Roses which are 15 min apart then head to Buffalo Trace.

Yes, it's some driving, but it doesn't seem to difficult to pull off.   
Am I way off base here?   Thanks for any input!

I've never done the bourbon trail, but I have been to Napa.  Would never drive there as you drink a lot more at the tastings than you think you will.  We were shithoused before dinner.

• Like 2

When I was there we did 2x tours/tastings per day and driving was dicey.  If you can get a driver, I'd do it.  Otherwise I'd pass on tasting the white lightening and vodkas they will offer you.  Also, bring snacks.  You'll usually get a chocolate or something to eat with your bourbon, but that's about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

BT had some heavy pours at the tasting, IIRC.  I wouldn't have been able to drive after two like that.

Random question: Does BT sell White Dog in the gift shop? I’d like to char a stave at home and age it in mason jar. It will probably go horribly, but it’ll keep me occupied during the summer.

48 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Random question: Does BT sell White Dog in the gift shop? I’d like to char a stave at home and age it in mason jar. It will probably go horribly, but it’ll keep me occupied during the summer.

Is there a reason you want their WD?  As opposed to any that are easy to source around here?  I can't imagine that you'd be able to tell much without their (or anybody else's) barrel program.  It's just sooooo damn hot. 

3 minutes ago, deft said:

Is there a reason you want their WD?  As opposed to any that are easy to source around here?  I can't imagine that you'd be able to tell much without their (or anybody else's) barrel program.  It's just sooooo damn hot. 

I believe it’s a wheated mash bill which is pretty unique. I was also inspired by this Bourbonr article: http://bourbonr.com/blog/how-to-age-whiskey-at-home/

Hey I've tried it too.  Just bought the first rotgut white I found on the shelf and threw a charred oak stick from amazon in there.  Not bad but it's definitely less that what I was hoping for.  I've gone on to put the sticks in red wine and even in a corny of already barrel aged sour.  

a5eab2c4361a86b9a0d9893b61156ad8.jpg

• Like 1

As expected, no transparency, pay for play, system of insider favors, and plenty of swag. I found the fight between liquor stores and bars for allocated bottles pretty interesting. 

Buddy who owns a local bar is attempting to secure some of the unicorns I posted a while back. Gonna be very interesting to see what comes back from the distributor!

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Back to the aforementioned pod, there was some good news. Buffalo Trace seems to be cracking down on liquor stores that price gouge. Stores that mark up BTAC/Pappy will get their allocation pulled. 

9 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Buddy who owns a local bar is attempting to secure some of the unicorns I posted a while back. Gonna be very interesting to see what comes back from the distributor!

Whiskey Cake has a better bourbon/rye collection than @Bert Orange. That is saying something. I do wonder if Republic prefers doing business with stores or bars?

Folks in the know, I assume most bars in Texas buy directly from Republic, and only shop at Spec’s when they’re in a pinch? Or do smaller bars go through Spec’s because they’re too small to do business with Republic? I’ve seen plenty of bar owners/employees loading up on supplies at Spec’s. Not enough to fill up a truck, but certainly enough to fill a van. 

Whiskey Cake has a better bourbon/rye collection than [mention=573]Bert Orange[/mention]. That is saying something. I do wonder if Republic prefers doing business with stores or bars?
Folks in the know, I assume most bars in Texas buy directly from Republic, and only shop at Spec’s when they’re in a pinch? Or do smaller bars go through Spec’s because they’re too small to do business with Republic? I’ve seen plenty of bar owners/employees loading up on supplies at Spec’s. Not enough to fill up a truck, but certainly enough to fill a van. 

Bars can’t buy directly from distributors. They have to go to class B liquor stores. Specs on airport is the one for Travis county.
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 6:17 PM, brown water said:

Yes. Great reviews - Whisky Advocate’s pick of the year.  I found a couple bottles and don’t know I’d go that far but for what it is and at the price point...

http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/

http://whiskyadvocate.com/ratings-reviews/?search=&submit=&brand_id=54&rating=0&price=0&category=0&styles_id=0&issue_id=0

saw the woodford batch proof on the shelf today.  $130.  I passed.  picked up a dickle bib and a benchmark 8.