Bourbon

Jimbaround

21 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Castle and key was honestly pretty great too. I was very underwhelmed by Buffalo trace honestly since I got no blantons, no Freddie, and couldn't hear the tour guide haha. 

Allegedly Freddie only does VIP tours now. 

I heard Fred Noe is usually in the gift shop after 3 pm at Jim Beam. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

5 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

The Knob 12 is descent at that price, pass on the Quarter Oak unless you just have to have it, can't see the age from that photo on the KCSB, what Specs were you at? has a damn nice selection...

Barreled Feb 2010

Just remembered that I never came round to say 'thank you' for the recommendations for Christmas. Since I knew spouse already liked Maker's Mark, I bought a bottle of that and then went with the advice for the Jefferson. I didn't buy the most expensive one, but went down a level just in case he didn't enjoy it. He liked it so I may hunt around for some of the other ones you all rec'd. Thanks again.

7 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

The Knob 12 is descent at that price, pass on the Quarter Oak unless you just have to have it, can't see the age from that photo on the KCSB, what Specs were you at? has a damn nice selection...

Total Wine (Humble location) has a KCSB 11 year (barrel March 18 and bottle April 19). $48. Assume it’s available in other locations as well. 

Anyone have any experience with WB Liquors single barrel select products? A friend offered me a sample his BT WB select that he got a few weeks back. It has an orange sticker stating it's a single barrel product with a barrel #, but no other info. We did a side by side to standard BT, this stuff is better, with deeper flavors. Guessing it's a year or 2 older than standard BT.

7 hours ago, deft said:

e8e3d0c0a2cb41702e2d24aacfb59471.jpg

BIL has the twin liquors and high proof 46 bottles as well. We really liked the specs blend the most.

If I see it, I’ll buy it, but this Maker’s Mark last chance with me. I didn’t care for the last bottle of 46 I tried, but maybe it has improved. I’ve heard good things about the latest release. 

4 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

How much munny ???

$69 with the cash discount. Pretty steep for Maker’s. It looks like it’s more expensive at Total, and a little cheaper at Goody Goody. 

It’s moving pretty fast at Spec’s. I had to use one of my back up stores. I bought the second to last bottle. The word is definitely out that this is a good release. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I just wanted everyone on Surly to know that I have not had any bourbon (or any other adult beverage) since Saturday night.  Don't really have a reason.  I'm going to fix that tonight.  Probably going to crack open the Eagle Rare as I'm being forced to have dinner with my mother-in-law (no pics you sick bastards).  Wish me luck.

Edit:  MIL is not getting any of my ER even if it is her birthday.

Edited by smwhorn

r/bourbon is a beating, but I keep going back for more. My favorite posters are the first timers. "First Review : Eagle Rare, 7/10" or "My First Review: Blanton's, 7.5/10". I just have to laugh at these wannabe bourbon snobs. I also love how all the reviewers let the bourbon "rest" for 15 to 30 minutes before tasting. Haha. When you're first getting into bourbon, Eagle Rare and Blanton's are the best things you've ever tasted. Just say it's a good bourbon, and I don't know s*** because I'm a newb.

I'd accuse them all of being Fred Minnick socks, but that's way too many burner phones for one man. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Eagle Rare is $35 online, all the time. You just have to know where to look. 

Or better yet, have a friend in California send you a case. 

This wasn't a dig at anybody. I've bitched about Eagle Rare not being on the shelf too, but it's because I don't want to pay shipping costs for something that should be in stores.