Bourbon

Jimbaround

15 hours ago, HouTex said:

I’m very much enjoying the Evan Williams BIB 100 proof. Dirt cheap. There’s a lot of good Bourbon out there at reasonable prices.

I'm very with you on this. 1.75L of White or Black label is just fine for me and such a good value that its hard to stray from these. 

6 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Dude complained about the price and provenance of the juice and live-streamed himself burning the butcher wrapped bottle. Some people won’t touch them now. 

Ah yeah.  Didn't the NASA guys blackball him also?  Some big stink on HBS?

6 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

It’s the fourth release by Booker Noe. When Booker was hand selecting barrels at Beam and gifting them to friends and family. Profile nothing like recent releases. 

I remember something along the lines that up until 95 or 96 they were still pulling from the old man’s fixin’s. Anything after he had no hand in. Is that correct?

I remember something along the lines that up until 95 or 96 they were still pulling from the old man’s fixin’s. Anything after he had no hand in. Is that correct?

Plus or minus with the timing of his death.

This is a neat list of every Booker’s

http:// https://www.bourbonex.com/forums/topic/265/list-of-all-booker-s-batches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Nightfly said:

I'm very with you on this. 1.75L of White or Black label is just fine for me and such a good value that its hard to stray from these. 

I use the EW black label as my mixing juice, and the BiB is very respectable for its price, IMO.  You might try the 1783 small batch if you can find it.  I typically see it priced under $20, but it punches above its weight.  Like most of the other EW label products, it errs on the side of being sedate and smooth, so if you're into the spicier bourbons it might not be your cup of . . . er, bourbon.  I prefer the BiB myself.           

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/05/02/bourbons-you-can-only-find-in-kentucky/

Pretty cool. I will attempt to buy every bottle listed. 

On my tour of small town KY liquor stores last night, I looked for the Green Label and did not see any. Everything I have seen in the past made it sound like it was widely available in the state but it was not. 

One of my partners families owns Wathen’s so he has given me a few bottles of it which have been very good. Apparently they changed some things and it hasn’t been the same lately. He recommended Blade and Bow, so I picked up a bottle of it to try.

58 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Old Forester 1910, 1920 or Single Barrel?  I have all three options in front of me and looking for recs for which I should pick. 

Also have a bottle of Buffalo Trace in hand so looking for a second bottle to bring home. 

I think 1910 blows the other two out of the water, but many think the same for 1920. Personal preference 

I‘ve never had the single barrel, mainly because I’ve never seen anyone say it was good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I would call Maker's Mark Private Select pretty good. It's not $70 good, but it's nice to see a popular brand put out one quality product. 

I saw it today but didn’t pull the trigger on it. Went with Four Roses Small Batch Select, which is rather sublime. In not shocking news, Twin Liquor’s selection is not great. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

I think 1910 blows the other two out of the water, but many think the same for 1920. Personal preference 

I‘ve never had the single barrel, mainly because I’ve never seen anyone say it was good. 

Thanks for the feedback. I went with the 1920 this time just because decided I wanted to try a higher proof, but will definitely try the 1910 in the near future.  

Being new to the game, it’s nice to be able to get a wide variety of opinions on the subject to at least start somewhere. 

That’s true, and my preference is the opposite. But either way, one is special and the other is great.

On the single barrel. I’ve never had it. Like most single barrels I imagine it ranges from transcendent to just OK.

Bourbon Axioms of Bozo Casanova:
1) People don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find.
2) The best bourbon is often hard to get, but the hardest bourbon to get us not usually the best.
3) All good blends are better than all but the best single barrels, and only the absolute best individual barrels are better than the best blends.
4) There’s plenty of good bourbon.
5) Until somebody drinks it, it isn’t any good.
  • Like 4

Thanks for the feedback. I went with the 1920 this time just because decided I wanted to try a higher proof, but will definitely try the 1910 in the near future.  

Being new to the game, it’s nice to be able to get a wide variety of opinions on the subject to at least start somewhere. 

I like the single barrel. If you like other OF bottles you will too.

21 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

Old Forester 1910, 1920 or Single Barrel?  I have all three options in front of me and looking for recs for which I should pick. 

Also have a bottle of Buffalo Trace in hand so looking for a second bottle to bring home. 

Of the two I've tried (the 1910 and 1920), the 1910 is the clear choice.  I haven't been a huge fan of OF in the past simply because I get a medicinal taste up front with both the 1870 and the 1920.  But I didn't get that with the 1910, which is quite tasty.  Haven't tried the single barrel.  The OFBB is a unicorn for me -- someday I'll score a bottle.