Bourbon

Jimbaround

Of the two I've tried (the 1910 and 1920), the 1910 is the clear choice.  I haven't been a huge fan of OF in the past simply because I get a medicinal taste up front with both the 1870 and the 1920.  But I didn't get that with the 1910, which is quite tasty.  Haven't tried the single barrel.  The OFBB is a unicorn for me -- someday I'll score a bottle.

A friend bought me a bottle of the OF Original 1870 and I thought it was delicious. Lower proof than either the 1910 or the 1920 and so should be a good intro to the OF Whiskey Row series. With all the talk about 1910 and 1920 on here I was surprised by the quality of the 1870 version.

Clear example of Bozo C rule #5.

4 hours ago, TxTower said:

A friend bought me a bottle of the OF Original 1870 and I thought it was delicious. Lower proof than either the 1910 or the 1920 and so should be a good intro to the OF Whiskey Row series. With all the talk about 1910 and 1920 on here I was surprised by the quality of the 1870 version.

Clear example of Bozo C rule #5.

Yeah, to each his own.  I think I'm in the minority on this board re: 1870 and 1920.  They both have fans around here (esp. the 1920), so you're definitely not alone in liking the 1870.

FWIW, I don't think the 1870 and 1920 are terrible.  I simply like other bourbons in the same general price range better, in part because of the medicinal taste I get up front with those two OF offerings.       

On 1/7/2020 at 5:39 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Holy shit. This is a tremendously good pour.
If you see one, get one.
a0c7e68d7fb0b2a7cca38f65da8c2dc0.plist

Balcones did a tasting at Pogo's right before Christmas and the Single Malt was my favorite by far.  So I'm imaging this would be something I would love to try. 

Started back on keto yesterday so no beer for 2 months... so bring on the red wine, bourbon, scotch, and whiskey. 

We just had our offices renovated and all new furniture put in. The interior designer brought by a couple bottles of Weller 12 year when she dropped off the last of the furniture today. May have to crack that open tonight to drown out the thought of the check I had to write her.

We just had our offices renovated and all new furniture put in. The interior designer brought by a couple bottles of Weller 12 year when she dropped off the last of the furniture today. May have to crack that open tonight to drown out the thought of the check I had to write her.

Your interior designer is handing out W12 as favors to customers ?

JHC - make it stop!

4 hours ago, Brew said:

Just when I thought a humble brag post couldn’t go any worse than Bert Orange displaying his hoard... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, deft said:

3e8be69147b386ff76b697434be3f665.jpgb598cb70758bc7911135750474d20aaf.jpg

Lol.

CYPB appears to have dipped some in price. It was going for a Taterrific price of $500. 

I’d like to see Weller Collection guy’s face when he finally adds that elusive bottle of CYPB. I wish these guys were building model airplanes like the good ole days instead of collecting bourbon. 

On 1/27/2020 at 9:10 AM, huge said:

Regarding the Angels Envy Rye the real problem with it is the price.

I would keep a bottle around if it was $50 instead of $90.

I quite enjoy it at times.  It’s like 100proof oatmeal cookies.  Always like having it as an option at hand

Have some friends coming over this weekend for a whiskey tasting. Here's what I'm setting out:

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Elmer T Lee

Four Roses Small Batch Select

Eagle Rare 10

Blantons

Weller 12

Weller Antique 107

McKenna 10

Garrison Single Barrell Barrel Proof

Old Forester 1910

Bookers

Eh Taylor Small Batch 

Angel's Envy Rye

Rittenhouse Rye

Old Forester Rye

Also have some gin, rum, Vodka, and aquavit for those not playing ball. 

Anything I'm missing that I could find on the shelf to round it out? 

Have some friends coming over this weekend for a whiskey tasting. Here's what I'm setting out:
Elmer T Lee
Eagle Rare 10
Blantons
Weller 12
Weller Antique 107
McKenna 10
Old Forester 1910
Bookers
Eh Taylor Small Batch 
Angel's Envy Rye
Rittenhouse Rye
Old Forester Rye

Throw in some less expensive, easy to find bourbons like Weller SR, Larceny, BT, WT and then do the tasting blind. Your friends will likely be shocked by the results. It’s fun to see what people really like without the influence of the label. Wine snobs get humiliated all the time doing this with wine.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Elmer T Lee

Eagle Rare 10

Blantons

Weller 12

Weller Antique 107

McKenna 10

Old Forester 1910

Bookers

Eh Taylor Small Batch 

Angel's Envy Rye

Rittenhouse Rye

Old Forester Rye

WT Rare Breed

Russell's Reserve

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

Elmer T Lee

Eagle Rare 10

Blantons

Weller 12

Weller Antique 107

McKenna 10

Old Forester 1910

Bookers

Eh Taylor Small Batch 

Angel's Envy Rye

Rittenhouse Rye

Old Forester Rye

Where, when and what time should we be over?

5 hours ago, HouTex said:

Throw in some less expensive, easy to find bourbons like Weller SR, Larceny, BT, WT and then do the tasting blind. Your friends will likely be shocked by the results. It’s fun to see what people really like without the influence of the label. Wine snobs get humiliated all the time doing this with wine.

I have done this on several occasions over the last month. And you are spot on. Take that label away and people have to decide on their own what defines quality. 

The good thing is I have discovered that there are many that I like. The only one I don’t like, and can pick it out of a lineup pretty consistently is regular old Jim Beam white label. I think it taste like medicine. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 1:15 PM, Scooter Monzingo said:

I have done this on several occasions over the last month. And you are spot on. Take that label away and people have to decide on their own what defines quality. 

The good thing is I have discovered that there are many that I like. The only one I don’t like, and can pick it out of a lineup pretty consistently is regular old Jim Beam white label. I think it taste like medicine. 

We secretly replaced their coffee with Folgers Flavor Crystals

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 7:17 AM, Eggo said:

Elmer T Lee

Eagle Rare 10

Blantons

Weller 12

Weller Antique 107

McKenna 10

Old Forester 1910

Bookers

Eh Taylor Small Batch 

Angel's Envy Rye

Rittenhouse Rye

Old Forester Rye

There’s no MGP on that list, which is sad.  Sounds like you’re in SA so you need to get your ass over to Alamo and pick up their 12 yr Widow Jane 100 proof picks for $86.  That and the Redemption High Rye 10 yr at $79 are the two best MGP values right now.  Both will wreck shop in a blind tasting. 

10 hours ago, USCATX said:

There’s no MGP on that list, which is sad.  Sounds like you’re in SA so you need to get your ass over to Alamo and pick up their 12 yr Widow Jane 100 proof picks for $86.  That and the Redemption High Rye 10 yr at $79 are the two best MGP values right now.  Both will wreck shop in a blind tasting. 

Angels Envy sources MGP. But yeah. 

On 1/22/2020 at 8:21 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

r/bourbon is a beating, but I keep going back for more. My favorite posters are the first timers. "First Review : Eagle Rare, 7/10" or "My First Review: Blanton's, 7.5/10". I just have to laugh at these wannabe bourbon snobs. I also love how all the reviewers let the bourbon "rest" for 15 to 30 minutes before tasting. Haha. When you're first getting into bourbon, Eagle Rare and Blanton's are the best things you've ever tasted. Just say it's a good bourbon, and I don't know s*** because I'm a newb.

I'd accuse them all of being Fred Minnick socks, but that's way too many burner phones for one man. 

i think it's a beating also, but i keep reading it everytime i get a notification.  today was elmer t. lee.  nothing but glowing reviews.  of all the bourbons i've tried that's been the most disappointing.  it was hardly drinkable after first opening.  i think i'll try another pour tonight.  most people that commented said it was their favorite or the best they've ever tried.  i would rate it somewhere near the bottom 50.  one guy said that the only other bourbon he's liked better was the original black maple hill.  first take on that site i've liked.  that was one of the best bourbons to ever cross my tongue.

going to go hunting for the eht single tomorrow.  thanks for the tip.

58 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i think it's a beating also, but i keep reading it everytime i get a notification.  today was elmer t. lee.  nothing but glowing reviews.  of all the bourbons i've tried that's been the most disappointing.  it was hardly drinkable after first opening.  i think i'll try another pour tonight.  most people that commented said it was their favorite or the best they've ever tried.  i would rate it somewhere near the bottom 50.  one guy said that the only other bourbon he's liked better was the original black maple hill.  first take on that site i've liked.  that was one of the best bourbons to ever cross my tongue.

You might have caught a bad barrel. 

I’ve never have a bad glass of ETL, but it sounds like you just got ran into a corollary to rule #3: the worst barrels in a given single barrel line are as bad as the best are good.

Making a fetish out of single barrels is even dumber than equating age with quality.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 6:17 AM, Eggo said:

Elmer T Lee

Eagle Rare 10

Blantons

Weller 12

Weller Antique 107

McKenna 10

Old Forester 1910

Bookers

Eh Taylor Small Batch 

Angel's Envy Rye

Rittenhouse Rye

Old Forester Rye

Bulleit orange label or their 10 yr brown label

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 8:33 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

You might have caught a bad barrel. 

i'm having a pour right now.  there's no age statement on the bottle, no date, no batch info, but its pretty good.  I think it was just sharp upon first opening and needed to breathe a little.  i  wouldn't say its my favorite, but it's moved up quite a bit, bordering on quite exceptional. 

had no luck with eht single barrel, but saw lots of eagle rare, old foresters, and eht small batch, but i'm flush in all those.  at one store there was a girl sampling devils river, rye and bourbon.  they were both pretty good, and drastically different.  i'd had and killed a bottle of their bourbon long ago and thought it was nothing notable.  the tamest at that price point. if you look at all the bourbons on the shelf, devils river is likely to be the lightest, which is a sign of weakness to me.  i like my bourbons dark, like i like my men, and my coffee.  don't give me any of that watery looking shit.  any how, on this particular night i was struck by the sweetness of their bourbon.  there must be a shit ton of corn in their mashbill.  so i walked out with a $25 bottle of texas bourbon.  i believe they're an ndp, but they cut it with texas water so i'll call them Texan. 

started out tonight with early times bib.  pretty good at that price point.  then i noticed i'm running out of room to put new bottles so scanned the collection to identify some that could go.  widow jane, and its dusty bottle jumped out at me as a candidate.  they are ndp also, but i was actually pretty impressed with the taste of this.  i don't heap the praises on mgp like a lot of you do, and rank them lower, as well as ndp's, than grain to glass outfits.   that's more akin to art and craftsmanship in my book.  that being said, there are some blenders out there than know their shit.  I've seen podcasts of guys in a blind tasting that can tell you that's an Elijah craig 10 yo, or that's definitely make by fred noe.  like a bloodhound can tell your smell from your brothers, these guys have a real nose for this. so i actually liked the widow jane.  i noticed i paid $49 for it, and there are 49 better bourbons out there better at that price, so I'll still kill, and not replace, the bottle. 

so then i moved on to my third and final pour of the night, the elmer t lee.  and it's an outstanding way to finish the night.