Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

what do you have currently?  not knowing i will submit for your perusal knob creek, whistle pig, and old forester.

Bert Orange, please don't laugh at me. Here goes : 

2019 Thomas Handy Rye

Bulleit 12 Year Rye 

Michter's Barrel Strength Rye 

Old Forrester Rye 

2017 Kentucky Owl Rye 

WhistlePig Cask Strength 10 Year Rye, Spec's Store Pick

I picked up a bottle of Rossville Union Barrel Proof Rye and Bulleit 12 today. 

I liked the Oak Cabinet's store pick of Sagamore Rye. If they do one on the Cask Strength Rye, please let me know. 

My preference is the barely legal, 51% ryes. I believe Pikesville 110 falls into that category. That's next on the list. 

53 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

2019 Thomas Handy Rye

Bulleit 12 Year Rye 

Old Forrester Rye 

2017 Kentucky Owl Rye 

I liked the Oak Cabinet's store pick of Sagamore Rye. If they do one on the Cask Strength Rye, please let me know. 

My preference is the barely legal, 51% ryes. I believe Pikesville 110 falls into that category. That's next on the list. 

sagamore is good shit.  i have the oak liquor store pick too.  outstanding.

On 1/31/2020 at 7:02 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I need to build out my rye collection; recommendations would be appreciated. 

Yes I know Rittenhouse is good. 

Pikesville is the available best. I like the Alberta stuff so WP 10 picks and Treaty Oak 10.  Owl batch 1 and 2 are great, haven’t had three yet.  Michter’s 10 rye is bsdass but I don’t have a bottle yet.  Willett 4 yr is pretty intense but good.  If you can’t find that try Kooper family rye.  It’s a dead ringer for Willett. 

Okay - I have a really stupid question. I found some collectors bottles of Evan Williams Texas Ranger 2018 and bought a couple. It's pretty crappy whiskey, but some sentimental values. We named our daughter Adreinne after Beltre who retired that year. 

If I don't open the bottle will it still be okay when he goes into the HOF in 2023. Or should just drink it and keep the bottle/. 

Okay - I have a really stupid question. I found some collectors bottles of Evan Williams Texas Ranger 2018 and bought a couple. It's pretty crappy whiskey, but some sentimental values. We named our daughter Adreinne after Beltre who retired that year. 
If I don't open the bottle will it still be okay when he goes into the HOF in 2023. Or should just drink it and keep the bottle/. 

It doesn’t matter either way.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

2019 Thomas Handy Rye

Bulleit 12 Year Rye 

Old Forrester Rye 

2017 Kentucky Owl Rye 

Solid rye collection. I put Pikesville right up there. 

Other very good bourbon-y ryes:

WT XMAS Rye at 52%

HW Bourye

Russels Reserve - 51%

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

Solid rye collection. I put Pikesville right up there. 

Other very good bourbon-y ryes:

WT XMAS Rye at 52%

HW Bourye

Russels Reserve - 51%

Thanks for there recs. I assume WT Christmas Rye is a dusty? Really cool looking bottle. I have an older label WT Rye 101, no idea on the year because they change the label all the time.

Fascinating history of ryes at WT. Jimmy Russell doesn’t like ryes, and in the past WT only made ryes when it was too hot to make bourbon. Yet WT has produced some of the best ryes ever made.

I also have two bottles Midwinters Night Dram from 2018. I always forget about those because I only drink them around Christmas. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Did the blind tasting last night with the following: 

Eagle Rare 10
Weller Antique 107
Blantons
Rittenhouse Rye
Four Roses SBS
Elijah Craig BP
Angel's Envy
Garrison Brothers Single Barrel Barrel Proof (Total Wine store pick)
Old Forester 1910
Suntory Hibiki Japanese whisky
Elmer T Lee
Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch
Foursquare 2005 Rum
Old Forester Rye
Henry Mckenna 10
Bookers
Buffalo Trace
Weller 12

Everyone had a great time and some interesting results came out. 

1) Everyone spotted the rum immediately but loved it. 

2) Almost all thought the Hibiki was a Scotch

3) Elijah Craig Barrel Proof melted everyone's faces off. 

4) Angel's Envy Finish Rye was the top rye by far, some mistook it for rum on account of the rum barrel finish. 

5) Garrison Brothers shockingly received the highest rating of all. 

22 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Eagle Rare 10
Weller Antique 107
Blantons
Rittenhouse Rye
Four Roses SBS
Elijah Craig BP
Angel's Envy
Old Forester 1910
Elmer T Lee
Foursquare 2005 Rum
Old Forester Rye
Henry Mckenna 10
Bookers
Buffalo Trace
Weller 12

4) Angel's Envy Finish Rye was the top rye by far, some mistook it for rum on account of the rum barrel finish. 

The Garrison Bros store pick is $140 right? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Eagle Rare 10
Weller Antique 107
Blantons
Rittenhouse Rye
Four Roses SBS
Elijah Craig BP
Angel's Envy
Old Forester 1910
Elmer T Lee
Foursquare 2005 Rum
Old Forester Rye
Henry Mckenna 10
Bookers
Buffalo Trace
Weller 12

i don't believe you anchorman GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Thanks for there recs. I assume WT Christmas Rye is a dusty? Really cool looking bottle. I have an older label WT Rye 101, no idea on the year because they change the label all the time.

Fascinating history of ryes at WT. Jimmy Russell doesn’t like ryes, and in the past WT only made ryes when it was too hot to make bourbon. Yet WT has produced some of the best ryes ever made.

I also have two bottles Midwinters Night Dram from 2018. I always forget about those because I only drink them around Christmas. 

Yessir. XMAS rye is a dusty. Late 80’s into late 90s. I think 90-92 is the sweet spot for quality and price. 

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

well ......... I'd say you need friends with better taste buds ........... obviously.... : )

That...or I found the right friends who won't reach for my good stuff when they come over.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:49 PM, USCATX said:

There’s no MGP on that list, which is sad.  Sounds like you’re in SA so you need to get your ass over to Alamo and pick up their 12 yr Widow Jane 100 proof picks for $86.  That and the Redemption High Rye 10 yr at $79 are the two best MGP values right now.  Both will wreck shop in a blind tasting. 

You know, I went to the Alamo City Liquor at Thousand Oaks and was not impressed with their selection. I may give it another try, but I live downtown so a trip up there oughta be worthwhile.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Eggo said:

That...or I found the right friends who won't reach for my good stuff when they come over.

You know, I went to the Alamo City Liquor at Thousand Oaks and was not impressed with their selection. I may give it another try, but I live downtown so a trip up there oughta be worthwhile.

I guess I can assume you've been to the downstairs bar at Esquire Tavern? Damn I loved their selection, and the fact that they would let me have 1 oz pours to taste a larger variety of whiskey. Damn, I really enjoyed that Old Rip VW.

1 hour ago, PsychMike said:

I guess I can assume you've been to the downstairs bar at Esquire Tavern? Damn I loved their selection, and the fact that they would let me have 1 oz pours to taste a larger variety of whiskey. Damn, I really enjoyed that Old Rip VW.

I do enjoy living downtown and taking in the river during an early morning run, but I try to avoid bars frequented by bros with backwards hats and sleeveless shirts. 

Spoiler

314420064_ScreenShot2020-02-04at3_01_34PM.thumb.png.43bc6eb8627c1df56be2960559d4fddd.png

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Shiiiiittttt... I’d pay that price for Antique all fucking day and twice on Sunday.

giphy.gif

Man, I don’t know. Antique is a personal favorite of mine, and it definitely punches above its weight class, but $99 is too much. 

I’ve paid $80 before, but it was a store pick from an owner that really knows his stuff. It was all but guaranteed to be really good, and it was. 

All that said, the working theory is the new Weller releases, Full Proof and soon to be Single Barrel, are pulling barrels away from Antique. The Whiskey Neat guy out of Houston thinks Antique is going to be a really tough find in 2020 because the Weller Single Barrel release is going to be massive. 

Finally, screw all the Weller CYPB taters. If they had waited a year or so, they could buy essentially the same thing in Weller Single Barrel for $50. 

going to my 3rd houston whiskey social this weekend.  done the btac tasting twice, and the pappy once, so signed up for the pappy tasting this year.  in addition to those 10, there are close to 400 other whiskies to sample.  one year brown forman had about 6 different years of birthday bourbons.  that was outstanding to sip them side by side.  last year four roses had al young manning the booth and he was giving out samples of his limited edition 50th anniversary release.  can't wait for this year.

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I would agree, but the market is the market. Supply and demand

as someone watching from the sidelines, the whole bourbon craze has been interesting to follow

again, axiomatically -

1) People don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find.
2) The best bourbon is often hard to get, but the hardest bourbon to get us not usually the best.
3) All good blends are better than all but the best single barrels, and only the absolute best individual barrels are better than the best blends.
4) There’s plenty of good bourbon.
5) Until somebody drinks it, it isn’t any good.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ISUCyclones said:

Said assholes can't resist making minimum wage for all the time and effort put into flipping bottles

I can’t figure out how the flippers even make it a decent side hustle. You can consistently make more money as a cashier at Wal Mart. 

My guess is the truly successful  flippers already have existing Amazon or eBay businesses , so they have some infrastructure to start with. And they own/work at a liquor store.

Flippers would only see really good margins flipping BTAC/Pappy/Birthday Bourbon which as we all know are exceedingly difficult to obtain. So they need  access to these bottles at MSRP or below. 

Guys flipping Blanton’s for a $40 profit are losers and deserve a special place in hell. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I can’t figure out how the flippers even make it a decent side hustle. You can consistently make more money as a cashier at Wal Mart. 

My guess is the truly successful  flippers already have existing Amazon or eBay businesses , so they have some infrastructure to start with. And they own/work at a liquor store.

Flippers would only see really good margins flipping BTAC/Pappy/Birthday Bourbon which as we all know are exceedingly difficult to obtain. So they need  access to these bottles at MSRP or below. 

Guys flipping Blanton’s for a $40 profit are losers and deserve a special place in hell. 

If only people would stop buying shit on secondary at hilarious prices....

• Like 1