Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What does the Ohio bottle look like? The $50 bottles have a gold cap. 

The old bottles have a red cap. 

Ohio $$4.95 bottles have the gold foil with a cork. The California Total Wine $22.95 bottles have red  plastic wrap with a screw top.

Man what a day. My engineer talked a customer out of a sale. I almost murdered him in the parking lot. Then I had to go to two hours of elementary school bingo night.

Just finished a double manhattan and trying to decide what to switch to. All this Weller talk I might dip into my OWA.

Man what a day. My engineer talked a customer out of a sale. I almost murdered him in the parking lot. Then I had to go to two hours of elementary school bingo night.

Just finished a double manhattan and trying to decide what to switch to. All this Weller talk I might dip into my OWA.

I mixed old-label OWA with ginger ale today because why the fuck not? I only paid $40 for the handle

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

F***ing engineers. Amirite?!

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Spec's has a Larceny Single Barrel 92 proof for $22.99. I'm not expecting much, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised. 

Speaking of Store/Barrel picks, here's really good discussion by the Bourbon Pursuit round table on the pro and cons of said picks.

https://youtu.be/03rMX33vG2s

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Ya know, contrary to what Tom Smykowski says, engineers are really not really good with clients, and do not have people skills.

15 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Dropped into a local joint yesterday. Guy told me he sold a George T Stagg recently for $400, and a case of Blantons for $100 each. I smiled as I paid for my bottles of 1910 and 1920 which were fully stocked on the shelves. 

There is so much truth to this statement. There is a lot of good bourbon available at retail. I have a 1910, 4R SB Select, and Remus Reserve open right now that I drink. All MSRP. (Full disclosure: I have a W12 open at $30 over MSRP.)

• Like 2

Tried Balcones Baby Blue last night for the first time. I’m pretty new to the bourbon game, but I wasn’t very impressed with it. So far I have tried BT, Weller SR, Evan Williams SiB and OF 1920 and this was by far my least favorite. I tried it on ice and in an Old Fashioned and was disappointed both times  

I chose this stuff over 4R SiB and now I’m regretting this decision.  Lesson learned. 

9 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Tried Balcones Baby Blue last night for the first time. I’m pretty new to the bourbon game, but I wasn’t very impressed with it. So far I have tried BT, Weller SR, Evan Williams SiB and OF 1920 and this was by far my least favorite. I tried it on ice and in an Old Fashioned and was disappointed both times  

I chose this stuff over 4R SiB and now I’m regretting this decision.  Lesson learned. 

Baby Blue isnt a bourbon?

There are absolutely zero bourbons that are even $200 good.  I still have some Eagle Rare 17.  It’s great.  $100 great.  Not a penny more.

$100 is about my limit. That’s about $6-$7 per pour. That’s like a $40 six pack of beer.

I will occasionally pay more for something special (recently did $125 for a Blanton’s Gold) but rarely when there is so much good stuff out there.

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Any good spots in San Marcos? It looks like I’ll be up there every weekend for the next couple months. 

I mean there's a small Spec's there on the west side of I-35. I really couldn't tell you of any local haunts. 

On 2/8/2020 at 9:23 AM, Party_Taco said:

Hmm...

74cd981db769010c079ec683e6ce015b.jpg

Beam has a hard time making things taste special or different than their basics aged up.  Not sure this could possibly even be 2x as good as a 13-15 y/o Knob pick.  Little Book 03 is probably their best special edition to date and way better than knob 2001 or 25th. 

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

It was $225/oz when i had it last year at 8 Row

Wow, that is just wow...I can cover a pour at that price. But unless I got caught up in the moment. I would not let go of the cash.

Getting caught up in the moment has been a problem for me over the years.

Edited by Scooter Monzingo
More groovy thoughts

1 hour ago, USCATX said:

Beam has a hard time making things taste special or different than their basics aged up.  Not sure this could possibly even be 2x as good as a 13-15 y/o Knob pick.  Little Book 03 is probably their best special edition to date and way better than knob 2001 or 25th. 

I sort of agree. Knob 25th was really darned good. So good I immediately bought another bottle. 

I’m on the hunt for Beam Single Barrel 108 proof. It’s supposed to be really good for $23. 

I’m constantly on the hunt for a good $25 bottle of whiskey. Current favorites are base Four Roses, Old Granddad 114 and Rittenhouse Rye BiB. 

We did the Bourbon Trail last year and hit 23 distilleries and sampled over 100 spirits. It was awesome to see all of the little variations people do (Woodford steams warehouses in the winter, FR only builds single story rick houses, etc) but it also really helped define my palate. I prefer a younger (cheaper) whiskey for the spicier flavor profile with more of the cinnamon and heat profiles. At multiple distillers we had an entry level side by side with a mid to upper and preferred the entry. Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare is the side by side I remember most with the preference to BT. 

We met Jimmy Russell and got him to sign a bottle of Wild Turkey Master’s Keep Rye. Not sure if it will ever get drunk. 

F56-A7321-2401-4293-B0-F9-F252-A004-D848

Edited by Archer
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I think it'll be pretty similar to Woodford Reserve Batch Proof, but hopefully better. Zykan has a pretty good nose. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis