Bourbon

Jimbaround

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I scored a bottle of Boone County 12 year on my way to Gruene this morning. 

The owner claims it’s the second to last bottle in Texas for sale at a liquor store. I actually believe him. 

Napoleon, like anyone could even know that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Austin half marathon. Wanted to do the full, but bailed and did the half. Hence the lamentation and Weller 12 drinking

45 minute delay and 1000% humidity. I'd have just taken the bottle on the course with me. That climb up Enfield is no joke. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Was very excited to open up this present over the weekend. Distillery-only, rather young and pretty hot, with Irish-like qualities but without the sweetness.

Certainly an interesting offering, but easily my least favorite of their slate... maybe I’ll try it with some Coke this weekend.

798d8a9e8d31a7927ee500074756d37b.jpg

I assume the distillery was awesome and in a beautiful setting? How was the gift shop? I'd definitely buy a single barrel/pick Prairie Bourbon. 

Brief review of 2019 Birthday Bourbon : 

Nice nose as always. Cherry bomb on the first sip that softens, but it consistently present throughout every pour. Complex with a nice long finish. Punches above it's 105 proof. I'm not sure if it's better than 2018, but damn, it's a change. 

There's Jackie Zykan hate out there, but man you have to give credit for taking risks and some artistic license with Old Forester line. Some olds might be pissed that 2019 Birthday Bourbon is so different from the previous releases, but oh well, there all good. 

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Holy shit what were the results ?  Favorites, flavors, etc. ??

16 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Was the Eagle Rare 20 a dissapointment?

DEVR was a huge disappointment. Tannic, dry liquified oak barrel. Lacked any depth of flavor. Super glad i tried this though. Won’t even buy it at retail should i come across it. 

In order:

1990 15/107 (export only) - amazing

1982 10/101 (lawerencberg) - almost as amazing, solid A

2019 ER17 - extra proof helped, still not my thing though for the money, B

2011 ER17 - sweet, but almost flat B-

DEVR - C-

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

DEVR was a huge disappointment. Tannic, dry liquified oak barrel. Lacked any depth of flavor. Super glad i tried this though. Won’t even buy it at retail should i come across it. 

In order:

1990 15/107 (export only) - amazing

1982 10/101 (lawerencberg) - almost as amazing, solid A

2019 ER17 - extra proof helped, still not my thing though for the money, B

2011 ER17 - sweet, but almost flat B-

DEVR - C-

Much o-bliged.  Gonna put out some feelers for the 15 and the 10. Have a bud in Euroland that may be able to help on the 15.  I figured the 20 would be a pass.

I assume the distillery was awesome and in a beautiful setting? How was the gift shop? I'd definitely buy a single barrel/pick Prairie Bourbon. 

Have some pictures upthread, but they were closed the weekend I was on property. Sister was back last month and picked this bottle up.

It’s one hell of a distillery to be sure.

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A r/bourbon reviewer just dropped a 5/10 on Weller Antique. It’s time to burn the whole damn thing down. 

I applaud the Weller family receiving bad reviews.  If it keeps up I might be able to find a bottle on a semi-regular basis at something approaching a reasonable price.

• Like 2