Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Cool another bourbon I won’t be able to get because of the hoarders.  Hope they all get dick AIDS and ebola.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Like 4

welp ...  it's been a historic week, for better or for worse, and i'm still here . . . at least at the beginning, not judging just saying but I can say I was there.  so with that in mind i am cracking open the 1910. smells sweet, mellow and very nice. tastes great, thanks for posting about it. cheers

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked ups bottle of the Twin Liquors’ Private Select. Hard to say no for $50.99. Interesting stave selection, they skipped Maker’s 46 staves. 

I’m drinking a Private Select from a small liquor store in East Houston tonight. Should be interesting. 

Glad to see you liked that first private select, those are usually really solid bottles. Can't beat it for 50 bucks. 

11 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Glad to see you liked that first private select, those are usually really solid bottles. Can't beat it for 50 bucks. 

I’m a convert. I thought Maker’s was bad at everything, but Private Select changed my mind. It goes to show when you have a some talented people at a giant brand, they can put out a quality product. Jack Daniel’s Heritage also comes to mind. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

57 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m a convert. I thought Maker’s was bad at everything, but Private Select changed my mind. It goes to show when you have a some talented people at a giant brand, they can put out a quality product. Jack Daniel’s Heritage also comes to mind. 

Absolutely, the jd heritage was one that surprised me too. 

Opened a bottle myself tonight. Agree with your take, good juice.

I picked ups bottle of the Twin Liquors’ Private Select. Hard to say no for $50.99. Interesting stave selection, they skipped Maker’s 46 staves. 

I’m drinking a Private Select from a small liquor store in East Houston tonight. Should be interesting. 

Twin private select is ok. Specs private is better even without $1 sale.

Makers bad at everything? Delete your account.

I’m enjoying some 1910 now

Delicious every time I crack it.

Doing a job site visit to a rural, river region of Va. yesterday (The Northern Neck). Stopped in the local ABC store.

They'd just stocked the shelves with 8 bottles of ER. I know it's not really rare, but you just don't see it on shelves like ya used to. Grabbed 2, and a bottle of Rare Breed 116, which is also getting scarce lately.   They had a pretty damn nice selection of stuff you don't see often. I'll have several more visits before the project is finished, I'll be stopping in to grab some 1910, and 1920 next time.

FullSizeRender-134.jpg

Just now, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

MM was my back up mixer when Weller SR started rising in price and scarcity. Now MM is going that route as well.
Tired Benchmark while hunting last week and it will probably replace them.

I never liked MM as a mixer.  Bourbon and ginger are one of my favorites, and I never liked MM and ginger.

1 minute ago, USCATX said:

I’ve somehow made it 100+ bottles into this without ever trying WT rare breed.  Found it for $38 at an otherwise picked over Twin during the sale for $38 and couldn’t pass it up.  

$38 ?!  Typically $54 around here.  That's a solid buy.   I think for a 116 proof bourbon, it drinks got damned smooth.

I throw a small ice chip in to negate the alcohol burn.  Some nice flavors come forward, and 2 good pours gets you where you need to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

MM was my back up mixer when Weller SR started rising in price and scarcity. Now MM is going that route as well.
Tired Benchmark while hunting last week and it will probably replace them.

I throw a bottle of Benchmark in the cart last week after reading about it here.  That’s the best bottle of dirt cheap bourbon I’ve ever had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

$38 ?!  Typically $54 around here.  That's a solid buy.   I think for a 116 proof bourbon, it drinks got damned smooth.

I throw a small ice chip in to negate the alcohol burn.  Some nice flavors come forward, and 2 good pours gets you where you need to be.

Yeah, dollar sale for the win.  I’ll try it with my favorite RR pick and WT decades to see how it holds up. 

4 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Just circling back to say that Parker’s Heritage Rye is stupid delicious.

Missed the cut by a couple days. SOB. 

Spec’s Larceny SiB are much better than regular Larceny. Otherwise it’s a pass, even as a mixer. 

Benchmark 8 is the people’s champ in Texas. It’s our Heaven Hill 6. 

I have Friday/Saturday drinkers and Sunday drinkers. The Sunday stuff is usually a cut below Friday/Saturday. I usually drink Rare Breed on Sunday, but it consistently out performs its counterparts. It’s my most frequent recommendation. 

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

That is what I went with. It was following a recommendation upthread where someone claimed that it tastes like a “Twix bar”. I bought it, I liked it. Don’t look at the label, judge the juice.

It is what caused me to start doing taste tests. At $50 it held its own against some bottles I paid far more for. Solid recommendation right there. 

• Like 1

Holy shittttt this Calumet is good.

Light notes of vanilla and charcoal on the front, mouthfeel is syrupy and the finish is char forward with hints of oak and just a touch of sweetness.

Very distinct, not too hot for a 12 year. I dig it as a change of pace, but this would bowl you over as anything but a special occasion drinker. Half way through the pour and I’m already contemplating bad decisions...