Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
17 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:
Hasn’t seen it around in a while, but picked up some McKenna 10 tonight. 

McKenna 10 now costs 50 around here the last few times I've seen it. I just don't think it's worth that. Don't think i would pay more than 40 for it.

The 2019 McKenna I have is excellent and I would pay $50+ for another.

• Like 1

I probably won't bourbon hunt again until mid April. I couldn't live myself if I got my wife sick because I wanted to find some allocated brown water. That said, if y'all find something truly remarkable in Houston, please PM me. The plan is drink the good stuff out of my reserves, and replenish the cocktail bar. 

I took the plunge and ordered Spec's Curbside. As with everything Spec's does, I have some complaints: 

1) They don't offer MANY products that are always in stock at the store on the website. I imagine they do this to drive certain brands. 

2) Charging a personal shopper fee given current events is uncouth. 

3) They place a temporary 15% fee on your card in case they need to make substitutions. They do this even if you request no subs. 

4) You can't order store picks online. OK, I actually like this one. 

5) No 5% discount, even if you order using a debit card. 

39 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Can I pay someone to go find me some store picks in Austin? Is that an app yet?

There's a state created website to look for specific items in ABC stores anywhere in the state. It gives location, # of bottles, and their cost.

Kind of takes the thrill of the hunt out of it, but there are sacrifices I'm prepared to make in these times of tribulation, and woe.

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

There's a state created website to look for specific items in ABC stores anywhere in the state. It gives location, # of bottles, and their cost.

Kind of takes the thrill of the hunt out of it, but there are sacrifices I'm prepared to make in these times of tribulation, and woe.

What is this magical site?  I’m just looking for a fucking bottle of Blanton’s in San Antonio. 

3 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

What is this magical site?  I’m just looking for a fucking bottle of Blanton’s in San Antonio. 

Since Va. controls the sale of liquor, they know the inventory of every store in Va. They can post what each store has. I've found a whole case of Eagle Rare at a couple locations. Had a nice little road trip to score several bottles for the collection recently.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

ABC stores = State run stores

Yes, so the prices are always retail.  $55 for Blantons, $30 for Eagle Rare and Bulleit, $45 for Rare Breed,  Russels Reserve is $40 I believe.  Blantons is the only one on that short list that's gotten much harder to get, but it's still out there if you know where to look, and which day deliveries are made.  You can routinely find 1910, 1920, EH Taylor, and usually most of the ones listed above.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are Oak Cabinet and Austin Shaker not enough for you? 

Just went to their website. Would not let me order. It’s not on Drizzly. Sooo, maybe I can get a favor guy to ask OLC to sell them a store pick because I’m not leaving my house 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Just went to their website. Would not let me order. It’s not on Drizzly. Sooo, maybe I can get a favor guy to ask OLC to sell them a store pick because I’m not leaving my house 

Understood. I bet Total Wine would bring it out to your car if you called ahead and asked. 

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yes, so the prices are always retail.  $55 for Blantons, $30 for Eagle Rare and Bulleit, $45 for Rare Breed,  Russels Reserve is $40 I believe.  Blantons is the only one on that short list that's gotten much harder to get, but it's still out there if you know where to look, and which day deliveries are made.  You can routinely find 1910, 1920, EH Taylor, and usually most of the ones listed above.

I know big, close knit family out of Pittsburgh and the entire family enters the state Pappy/BTAC lottery every year. They usually get several bottles. Again, it depends on how you look at it. 

The only additional power I’d give the TABC is to shut down price gouging. It would make Texas a better place.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brown water said:

Stopped at twin liquors (Kingwood) for the wife to stock essentials (Tito’s and some random tonic shits). Asked the cashier about any good bourbon they had for the end of days.  Left with ER ($30) and Stagg Jr ($50). I’ll say that’s a square deal. 

If it was 2019 Stagg Jr you did well. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I know big, close knit family out of Pittsburgh and the entire family enters the state Pappy/BTAC lottery every year. They usually get several bottles. Again, it depends on how you look at it. 

The only additional power I’d give the TABC is to shut down price gouging. It would make Texas a better place.

I Won one of the bottles of 20 yr old Pappy bottles in the Va. lottery this Christmas.

What does it mean by store only?

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

image.jpeg.5b1fa296b7180ad7460c2c368d34f238.jpeg

I like you man, but that’s ridiculous. Nobody can possibly drink all that W12. You’ll sell 90% of that. 

I went down there and they were sold out of W12 of course. Spec’s didn’t employ the one item per customer sticker this afternoon. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like you man, but that’s ridiculous. Nobody can possibly drink all that W12. You’ll sell 90% of that. 

I went down there and they were sold out of W12 of course. Spec’s didn’t employ the one item per customer sticker this afternoon. 

Dude, I didn’t buy that. Was just sharing. What the hell am i going to do with that much W12?