Bourbon

Jimbaround

Let me preface by saying, we're in a public health emergency and Spec's wanted to sell as much product as quickly as they could and get people in and out of the store. Pennsylvania is closing their liquor stores, maybe Spec's wanted one last cash grab before shutting down. The event wasn't advertised, but Spec's did tip off their distributors like Glazer and Republic. 

At about 4 pm, my buddy called me to tell me he picked up a bottle of George T. Stagg, W12, and Blanton's at about 345 pm. His friend at Glazer tipped him off earlier in the afternoon. Spec's was selling the restaurant allocation to the plebs. I drove from the Heights to Midtown in about 7-8 minutes, speeding of course. When I arrived, they only had a couple cases of Eagle Rare, and maybe 7 bottles of Hancock's. I grabbed one bottle of Hancock's and tried to figure out what the f*** was going on. There was a rush in the back near will call. I'm not sure what they were handing out back there. 

The flippers were out in full force. Their distributors probably tipped them off. I saw people with multiple cases of Blanton's, W12 liters, and a lucky few with a case of Stagg. I didn't see the guy with 48 liters of W12, but I hope he's mugged/beaten in a flipper-tater exchange. 

I saw a case OFC going somewhere. I saw individuals with Mitcher's 10, some of the good Japanese whiskeys, and Old Charter Canadian Oak. By the time things settled down, I was in line for EH Taylor Small Batch/Rye. Pass.

The social media crowd hit about 10 minutes after I arrived. It got pretty hectic, so I grabbed my bottle Hancock's, and a bottle of Baker's 7 SiB and got the hell out of there. I risked COVID-19 for a f***ing bottle of Hancock's. Something is better than nothing I guess. It is a personal favorite of mine.

Stagg 19 continues to be my white whale. At least I've enjoyed a pour. 

In conclusion, Spec's hoards the good stuff for the restaurants, and gives us the crumbs at Christmas. This shouldn't be a surprise to any of us. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Let me preface by saying, we're in a public health emergency and Spec's wanted to sell as much product as quickly as they could and get people in and out of the store. The event wasn't advertised, but Spec's did tip off the distributors like Glazer and Republic. 

At about 4 pm, my buddy called me to tell me he picked up a bottle of George T. Stagg, W12, and Blanton's at about 345 pm. His friend at Glazer tipped him off earlier in the afternoon. Spec's was selling the restaurant allocation to the plebs. I drove from the Heights to Midtown in about 7-8 minutes, speeding of course. When I arrived, they only had a couple cases of Eagle Rare, and maybe 7 bottles of Hancock's. I grabbed one bottle of Hancock's and tried to figure out what the f*** was going on. There was a rush in the back near will call. I'm not sure what they were handing out back there. 

The flippers were out in full force. Their distributors probably tipped them off. I saw people with multiple cases of Blanton's, W12 liters, and a few lucky few with a case of Stagg. I didn't see the guy with 48 liters of W12, but I hope he's mugged/beaten in a flipper-tater exchange. 

I saw a case OFC going somewhere. I saw individuals with Mitcher's 10, some of the good Japanese whiskeys, and Old Charter Canadian Oak. By the time things settled down, I was in line for EH Taylor Small Batch/Rye. Pass.

The social media crowd hit about 10 minutes after I arrived. It got pretty hectic, so I grabbed my bottle Hancock's, and a bottle of Baker's 7 SiB and got the hell out of there. I risked COVID-19 for a f***ing bottle of Hancock's. Something is better than nothing I guess. It is a personal favorite of mine.

Stagg 19 continues to be my white whale. At least I've enjoyed a pour. 

In conclusion, Spec's hoards the good stuff for the restaurants, and gives us the crumbs at Christmas. This shouldn't be a surprise to any of us. 

This whole story sounds like my personal hell. I've decided that I'm fine with the rare hits I get with my local store. Fuck that rat race bullshit. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Tonight has been an Old Fashioned night with OF Rye with the wife.
Highly recommend.
Killed it and now we are onto WT Rye 101.
Also recommend
61eb653458899ff74d863074bc96fa1d.jpg

Thank me later. https://glacio.store/products/sphere-mold-packs?variant=34794512402&currency=USD&utm_campaign=gs-2018-11-27&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjwsMzzBRACEiwAx4lLGyRn4lf7BE0j7Nm4CgJdeNQN7eCGyNVKTRhOANDfqhC2ItJHGiCDbRoCBKUQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

Structurally, there are many years worth of bourbon already in barrels. Prices will be reasonable. Even better for scotch, as the lower temperatures requires longer on the wood. All of the distilleries were in the middle of expanding. Macallan, for example, doubled their capacity. 

Good times are coming.

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

681f53a7bd3ec0a665459a6933a2bf55.jpg

Picked these up today and going to break into them. One on the right was the #1 rated Whiskey in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually check bourbonr,  breakingbourbon, whiskey wash, and whiskey jug if I have some time before I buy something. You did OK with the 1792, but the Dickel is a drain pour. I don’t who they paid off/ planted a hooker on over at Whiskey Advocate.  Dickel is the Dr. Manhattan of shit. It exists in the past, present, and future. Dickel was shit. Is shit. Will always be shit. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I usually check bourbonr,  breakingbourbon, whiskey wash, and whiskey jug if I have some time before I buy something. You did OK with the 1792, but the Dickel is a drain pour. I don’t who they paid off/ planted a hooker on over at Whiskey Advocate.  Dickel is the Dr. Manhattan of shit. It exists in the past, present, and future. Dickel was shit. Is shit. Will always be shit. 

I found some fun YouTube reviewers called Bourbon Junkies that were pretty entertaining. I think they’re based on Michigan, but they have several great reviews of a wide variety of bourbon and seem to know their stuff.  They don’t take themselves too seriously and appear to be genuine enthusiasts. Feel free to check them out if you’re so inclined. 

8 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I found some fun YouTube reviewers called Bourbon Junkies that were pretty entertaining. I think they’re based on Michigan, but they have several great reviews of a wide variety of bourbon and seem to know their stuff.  They don’t take themselves too seriously and appear to be genuine enthusiasts. Feel free to check them out if you’re so inclined. 

Michigan ??  Bourbon reviewers ??  Man you have lost yer damn mind.....  : )

• Haha 1

I’ve been pimping makers barrel select for all our local stores in this thread for the last year. I don’t know much but I know these are solid bottles of brown water for the shekels.

You convinced me to try it, even though I’m not a fan of standard Maker’s. Don’t dislike, just there’s plenty out there at that price I like better. But the barrel select is damn tasty.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bert reminds us all again why he’s a living legend. What year is the Handy? 

Booker’s reluctance to make ryes is one of life’s great mysteries. 

No kidding. One of the better ryes out there. Shame they only did it once. The Handy is a 2007. 

Edited by Bert Orange

3 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

No kidding. One of the better ryes out there. Shame they only did it once. The Handy is a 2007. 

Booker Noe allegedly died before passing on the recipe for the rye. I think Freddy is working on a sequel, but it’s a very tall order. 

I’m furious with myself for passing on Country Ham. I saw it once or twice before the hype machine got rolling. I haven’t seen it since. I’m going to start buying the third release every year. It’s almost always their best. 

Booker Noe allegedly died before passing on the recipe for the rye. I think Freddy is working on a sequel, but it’s a very tall order. 
I’m furious with myself for passing on Country Ham. I saw it once or twice before the hype machine got rolling. I haven’t seen it since. I’m going to start buying the third release every year. It’s almost always their best. 

I did the same, and recently... regretting it now, but passing on nearly any bottle of bourbon yields a form of regret.

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As much as I enjoy ham, we did a blind SBS and Theresa and Shiny scored higher on our group. Shiny was the highest marks if memory serves. Gotta go check my notes. 

26 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

As much as I enjoy ham, we did a blind SBS and Theresa and Shiny scored higher on our group. Shiny was the highest marks if memory serves. Gotta go check my notes. 

I liked Shiny, but I passed when I saw some recently. It’s good enough to buy once, but it’s not worth the encore in my opinion. 

Kentucky Chew was on another level.