Bourbon

Jimbaround

Suggestions for a gift for my banker for getting our PPP loan approved today?  $100 is the limit (that's the most he's allowed to accept and probably about what I want to spend).  

I think I can find Stagg Jr. for that or maybe $10 less.  Weller is a fucking unicorn up here.  Have never seen Weller 12 or Antique in a store in Denver.  Thoughts on the best bottle for (realistically) $100?

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Suggestions for a gift for my banker for getting our PPP loan approved today?  $100 is the limit (that's the most he's allowed to accept and probably about what I want to spend).  

I think I can find Stagg Jr. for that or maybe $10 less.  Weller is a fucking unicorn up here.  Have never seen Weller 12 or Antique in a store in Denver.  Thoughts on the best bottle for (realistically) $100?

Knob Creek 25th Anniversary is a superb bourbon for $120. Most of your smaller stores should have a bottle. 

• Like 1

If Stagg Jr is that readily available I am planning a move. Good choice. Also, consider an OF barrel select or any of the Barrel Bourbons that fall under your limit. I’m also a big fan of Breckinridge’s Distiller’s proof, which should be easy to find in Colorado but isn’t well known.

Just now, Godzillatron said:

If Stagg Jr is that readily available I am planning a move. Good choice. Also, consider an OF barrel select or any of the Barrel Bourbons that fall under your limit. I’m also a big fan of Breckinridge’s Distiller’s proof, which should be easy to find in Colorado but isn’t well known.

I wouldn't call it readily available.  I'd say it can be found (sometimes) for $90-100.  Seeing how it retails for $60, I wouldn't call that great.  But it might be my favorite bottle under $100.  There is a liquor store near me that has George T Stagg for $900.  Needless to say, I'm never going to darken their door again.

I've never had a CO bourbon that I really liked, unfortunately.  And they're all priced like premium bourbons.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

If you can find it, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof will run you about $80. One of the best rated bourbons of 2019. If he’s a fan of high proof then he should like this one. 

If you can find it, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof will run you about $80. One of the best rated bourbons of 2019. If he’s a fan of high proof then he should like this one. 
Agreed, although i think i like Stagg Jr a tiny bit better. But i would happily pick up either one i could find.

He's allowed to accept up to $100, but if they ask, just show them the MSRP online. Pappy 15 is $120 MSRP :)

Speaking of Stagg Jr, I snagged a bottle for $90 in San Antonio yesterday. Haven't been drinking this week after giving myself a horrible hangover on Rittenhouse last Saturday, but I'm excited to pop this one. 

12 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Ok, this OFSB is outstanding.

Similar mouthfeel as the 1920 with a hint of caramel on the front. Honestly has a lot in common with the KAVALAN port finish, and for 1/4 the price of that bottle I am mighty pleased with this purchase.

I'm always pleased when I can find a cheap drunk.

• Like 1

He's allowed to accept up to $100, but if they ask, just show them the MSRP online. Pappy 15 is $120 MSRP

Speaking of Stagg Jr, I snagged a bottle for $90 in San Antonio yesterday. Haven't been drinking this week after giving myself a horrible hangover on Rittenhouse last Saturday, but I'm excited to pop this one. 
I'm glad he helped us, but not $1500 glad.

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Kicked off my infinity bottle with a couple oz each of Eagle Rare and OF 1910. Using an old Blanton’s Gold bottle. I need to kill more bottles so I’ll have more to add.

I’ve started kicking around ideas for mine. Based on what I currently have, this is what I’m thinking of starting with:

4 oz Eagle Rare

2 oz OF 1920

2 oz Maker’s Mark Private Select

2 oz Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (C919)

2 oz Russell Reserve SiB

Some other stuff I have on hand that I haven’t decided to add includes:

McKenna 10, Buffalo Trace, Weller SR, OF Rye, Redemption Wheated, Early Times BiB, OGD 114 and Balcones Baby Blue.

I’ve started kicking around ideas for mine. Based on what I currently have, this is what I’m thinking of starting with:
4 oz Eagle Rare
2 oz OF 1920
2 oz Maker’s Mark Private Select
2 oz Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (C919)
2 oz Russell Reserve SiB
Some other stuff I have on hand that I haven’t decided to add includes:
McKenna 10, Buffalo Trace, Weller SR, OF Rye, Redemption Wheated, Early Times BiB, OGD 114 and Balcones Baby Blue.

Good list.

I’m sticking with the last pour of whatever I finish. So that means it will be slow.

Finished this guy off. Still working on my 1910. It was pretty good, but I think I prefer most Buffalo Trace products. There is a taste in the OF I just can’t quite describe that I notice. It’s not bad but noticeable and is not in the Buffalo Trace stuff which I prefer. What is the major difference between distilleries that makes then distinguishable by taste? Is it the yeast strain?

04ADF82E-6824-4D71-A9D3-0AAD4D85CE7A.jpeg

I am an old guy and not smart enough to know how to upload a pic of my recent purchases from Total Wine.

Elmer T Lee Single Barrel Sour Mash

Blanton's 

Eagle Rare

Stagg -- 127.4 proof

A Midwinter Night's Dram

Weller 12

Col EH Taylor

Yes, it's really true.  Don't be a hater.

Edited by smwhorn

4 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

I am an old guy and not smart enough to know how to upload a pic of my recent purchases from Total Wine.

Elmer T Lee Single Barrel Sour Mash

Blanton's 

Eagle Rare

Stagg -- 127.4 proof

A Midwinter Night's Dram

Weller 12

Col EH Taylor

Yes, it's really true.  Don't be a hater.

That is solid effort. I have not seen Blanton’s in a while. And while the ETL can be had in my area, it is way overpriced.