Bourbon

Jimbaround

46 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

First blush on the new Blood Oath is a decided meh. Will give it another go this weekend, but really wasn’t impressed... was like a Smooth Ambler but softer on the palette and relatively unremarkable.

Probably my last BO purchase.

A hard and fast of rule of mine is to not buy finished bourbons. 

I'll give finished ryes a shot because Midwinters changed my mind. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 12:28 PM, conVINCEd said:

He already bought the bottle.  Sunk cost and all that.  I always have a bottle of EWBiB around the house for that purpose.

Not sure if this quote was about my post but I did not buy either bottle just the Knob Creek 12.  I just bought a bottle of Old Ezra 7 year for $34.  Anybody try that one yet?

10 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Not sure if this quote was about my post but I did not buy either bottle just the Knob Creek 12.  I just bought a bottle of Old Ezra 7 year for $34.  Anybody try that one yet?

where'd you find the ezra 7.  it seems plentiful in other cites, but not Austin.

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

where'd you find the ezra 7.  it seems plentiful in other cites, but not Austin.

It was in the “allocated” section of customer service at Total Wine in Dallas.  They also had some Bibb and Tucker 12 year for like $130 but  I passed on that one.  Have you tried the Ezra 7?

10 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It was in the “allocated” section of customer service at Total Wine in Dallas.  They also had some Bibb and Tucker 12 year for like $130 but  I passed on that one.  Have you tried the Ezra 7?

never found an ezra 7, so no.  been looking for it for a couple of years now.   good call on the bibb and tucker - bought a bottle, killed it, was okay but not impressive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

never found an ezra 7, so no.  been looking for it for a couple of years now.   good call on the bibb and tucker - bought a bottle, killed it, was okay but not impressive.

I’m in this boat. Been looking for Ezra 7. Never in Austin

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's kinda soft.  Not much of a nose, and very little finish.

i'm not a huge fan myself, but i find it's a good brand to introduce non-bourbon drinkers to bourbon.  i'm a purist and actually believe the finishing barrel step should be enough to kick it out of the bourbon category and just classify as a whiskey.  if you go through the pain-staking, forest-clearing process of strictly adhering to new white oak barrells, then what's the point of pouring the juice into a port barrell after that?  why not just use a port barrel to begin with?

2 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

i'm not a huge fan myself, but i find it's a good brand to introduce non-bourbon drinkers to bourbon.  i'm a purist and actually believe the finishing barrel step should be enough to kick it out of the bourbon category and just classify as a whiskey.  if you go through the pain-staking, forest-clearing process of strictly adhering to new white oak barrells, then what's the point of pouring the juice into a port barrell after that?  why not just use a port barrel to begin with?

100% correct. It's a great introduction to the bourbon world. Yep, mixed emotions about barrel finishing,  but if it tastes good ... Ill let it slip...  Bowmans does this a lot, and their offerings have been pretty strong without straying to far from a bourbon flavor

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

100% correct. It's a great introduction to the bourbon world. Yep, mixed emotions about barrel finishing,  but if it tastes good ... Ill let it slip...  Bowmans does this a lot, and their offerings have been pretty strong without straying to far from a bourbon flavor

I don't know half of what some of you guys know but introduction into bourbon is pretty spot on in my experience

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

Picked up a 1792 BiB, Knob Creek 9yr Single Barrel and Larceny Single Barrel store pick today.   I’m thinking of cracking open the 1792 first. 

Larceny Single Barrels are manna from heaven for $23. I bought 4 bottles, but I should have cleaned them out.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 1:04 PM, thrillhammer said:

i'd buy it if i could find it.  how was it?

I’m actually giving it away but if it was awesome I thought about gifting another bottle. 

Been really enjoying OGD114 lately based on suggestions from this thread!

10 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

In the past few days I’ve picked up Blood Oath, Hancock’s Presidents Reserve, Bookers’s Granny’s Batch and Heaven’s Hill BiB. Yet I think the best buy was probably the 2 - 1L’s of OF rye for $24 each.

you've tried the blood oath, hancocks, and bookers, and the of rye was the best?  I hands down its the best value of the 5, but was it the best tasting?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

In the past few days I’ve picked up Blood Oath, Hancock’s Presidents Reserve, Bookers’s Granny’s Batch and Heaven’s Hill BiB. Yet I think the best buy was probably the 2 - 1L’s of OF rye for $24 each.

Hancock’s tasted the best I assume? I love that stuff.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 4/25/2020 at 4:30 PM, Godzillatron said:

Thinking strictly from the value and availability standpoint. Best tasting answer for me is always Col. Taylor, all varieties.

You and many in Southern California...what used to be a 'gettable' bottle has turned into a rare dog...

I’m up to 25 open bottles on the bar which is a lot for me. But not for long if this quarantine keeps up. It takes me a good couple minutes each evening to decide what I’m gonna have so as not to run out of any one thing.

I need to drink the stuff I don’t like and get shed of it.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m up to 25 open bottles on the bar which is a lot for me. But not for long if this quarantine keeps up. It takes me a good couple minutes each evening to decide what I’m gonna have so as not to run out of any one thing.

I need to drink the stuff I don’t like and get shed of it.

Or start a couple of infinity bottles, mixing some of the not so good/average with the good/great might raise it to a new level. 

• Like 2