Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 5/4/2020 at 7:51 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The main reason is they are not selling this good stuff to bars and restaurants right now so it goes out to the Specs/Goody Goody/Twin Liquors of the world and they sell it to us regular folks.  Total Wine near me has different allocated bottles every day and they allow one per person on a first come first serve basis.  I was at Specs last week and they had some Blantons come in and I haven’t seen that on the shelves in a while.  Would really like to find another bottle of Stagg Jr as that stuff is quite tasty.

How does one go about finding out where these allocated bottles are and how to buy them?

5 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

How does one go about finding out where these allocated bottles are and how to buy them?

Remember the allocated bottles aren’t the limited edition stuff like Pappy Van Winkle or the BTAC that get released in the fall.  That stuff is gone.  We are talking regularly old Blantons, Eagle Rare, etc... stuff that the distillery’s send out year round but never seems to be on the shelf at your local liquor store.  As far as how to find the bottles you have to get lucky.  You can call a bunch of stores and see if they will tell you what they have gotten in on that daily shipment or you can drive around to stores and go in and maybe they got something in that day.  The stuff goes quick as there are tons of people looking for this stuff.  One of my local Goody Goody stores will tell me over the phone if they have anything and are really nice about it.  My local Total Wine store refuses to tell anybody over the phone what they have and they make you come into the store to see.  At Total Wine I grabbed a Knob Creek 12 year, a Ezra 7 and they have had some other stuff like Eagle Rare, Bookers and Blantons that I did not buy.  Also, they limit this to one bottle per person near me so you cant buy as much as you want.

14 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Remember the allocated bottles aren’t the limited edition stuff like Pappy Van Winkle or the BTAC that get released in the fall.  That stuff is gone.  We are talking regularly old Blantons, Eagle Rare, etc... stuff that the distillery’s send out year round but never seems to be on the shelf at your local liquor store.  As far as how to find the bottles you have to get lucky.  You can call a bunch of stores and see if they will tell you what they have gotten in on that daily shipment or you can drive around to stores and go in and maybe they got something in that day.  The stuff goes quick as there are tons of people looking for this stuff.  One of my local Goody Goody stores will tell me over the phone if they have anything and are really nice about it.  My local Total Wine store refuses to tell anybody over the phone what they have and they make you come into the store to see.  At Total Wine I grabbed a Knob Creek 12 year, a Ezra 7 and they have had some other stuff like Eagle Rare, Bookers and Blantons that I did not buy.  Also, they limit this to one bottle per person near me so you cant buy as much as you want.

Which store locations do you have the best luck? What exactly do you ask?

I'm not a big drinker and never got much into bourbon past eagle rare and four roses and stuff like that. I've never tried Blanton's or EH Taylor and would love to try both. 

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I'm not a big drinker and never got much into bourbon past eagle rare and four roses and stuff like that. I've never tried Blanton's or EH Taylor and would love to try both. 

No rhyme or reason to which location.  Just go into a store and ask if they have any "allocated" bourbons that have come in lately or on the daily shipment.  Simple as that.  They may have some or they may say nothing has come in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

No rhyme or reason to which location.  Just go into a store and ask if they have any "allocated" bourbons that have come in lately or on the daily shipment.  Simple as that.  They may have some or they may say nothing has come in.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

In all seriousness, you have to find out what works for you. Store loyalty helps. If you’re not into spending thousands of dollars at a big box store, I would suggest finding the best small bourbon shop in your area and giving them all your business. Buy all of your beer, wine,  and of course bourbon there. They’ll see your face enough times that you’ll develop a relationship. 

There are other ways. A younger options trader friend of mine is very active on social media and he can drop everything to drive across town if he sees a bottle he wants. He’s a member of the Houston Bourbon Society and other Facebook groups. Members will often post bottles and their location. 

I know other guys that are just friends with Glazer/Republic reps and they’ll get tipped off on where allocated bottles are going. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Queue the Orangebloods’ Bourbon Thread one word response: “Relationships”.

I always fucking hate this answer. (1) The guy running the counter is probably not the guy who has any pull (especially if it's a large store), (2) I don't buy at just one store, I like to go to different places to browse and buy, (3) Even if I committed to one store I don't enough to make a real difference to make any priority list, (4) I imagine that a bunch of these guys hate by now random people trying to form "relationships" with them. 

A couple of years ago when I saw a bunch of Weller 12 posts here, I went to my local place and asked "I know it's a longshot, but I saw online that Weller 12 is making its way around, any chance you have some? The guy asked another guy (I assume the owner) and he said "maybe" went to the back and brought one out. Said it's hard to get and he wants it for people who know about it and will appreciate it. I have had zero luck since and I hate asking now.

Edited by 'stache

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I always fucking hate this answer. (1) The guy running the counter is probably not the guy who has any pull (especially if it's a large store), (2) I don't buy at just one store, I like to go to different places to browse and buy, (3) Even if I committed to one store I don't enough to make a real difference to make any priority list, (4) I imagine that a bunch of these guys hate by now random people trying to form "relationships" with them. 

A couple of years ago when I saw a bunch of Weller 12 posts here, I went to my local place and asked "I know it's a longshot, but I saw online that Weller 12 is making its way around, any chance you have some? The guy asked another guy (I assume the owner) and he said "maybe" went to the back and brought one out. Said it's hard to get and he wants it for people who know about it and will appreciate it. I have had zero luck since and I hate asking now.

My Weller/Blanton's gold mine is long dead. Their "friendly" neighboring stores dropped a dime and called the Buffalo Trace Police. It killed the store. They carry Jack, Jim Beam White Label, beer and wine now. They might be able to scratch by selling tall boys to homeless people and day laborers, but it'll never be the same. 

My point is, when really solid smaller shops start getting good bottles, their larger competitors take notice and run to their distributors to complain.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So he pulled it out of the back and didn't sell it to you because he's saving it for people who appreciate it? Or did I read that wrong? 

Thanks for the info fellas. Although I'd like to try some it's not something important enough for me to go and make it a networking lifestyle. Before this shit happened I was supposed to go to Louisville for business in April. I may get to once things open back up to normal. Are these easier to get there on a distillery tour? If so I may just wait until then. 

4 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

So he pulled it out of the back and didn't sell it to you because he's saving it for people who appreciate it? Or did I read that wrong? 

Thanks for the info fellas. Although I'd like to try some it's not something important enough for me to go and make it a networking lifestyle. Before this shit happened I was supposed to go to Louisville for business in April. I may get to once things open back up to normal. Are these easier to get there on a distillery tour? If so I may just wait until then. 

The Heaven Hill gift shop on site at the distillery in Bardstown is supposed to be a gold mine. 

Pretty solid Kentucky only list : https://gearpatrol.com/2019/05/02/bourbons-you-can-only-find-in-kentucky/

24 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

No, he sold it to me. By asking for it by name he realized I appreciated it. I inferred that he didn't want people buying it as a random $30 bottle on the shelf. He would rather sell it for $30 to someone who knows that it is somewhat special.

Edited by 'stache

I have a Twin Liquors around the corner from me that I frequent once or twice a week to peek in and see what they have. There’s one guy there who I’ve chatted up there a few times and last week when I went in there I asked what they had in the back and he brought up an Ezra 7. Paid $40 for it (which I believe is MSRP). Combination of luck and making friendly conversation with the staff. You definitely strike out way more than you find something allocated. 

It's tough even for those with relationships.  I have a buddy that buys for his 11 restaurants and he had to rattle the chains from the distributor side.  He is on every list here in DFW and had called one of the big boxes as he heard they had some W12.  Guy he knew that answered said they did not.  He called his distributor rep and said WTH.  Rep looked in her system somehow and said to call back and tell that guy Tits McGee said you do.  He did and the guy replied, "Oh yeah, sorry I thought you were asking about something else.  I'll save a few for you."  

7 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

It's tough even for those with relationships.  I have a buddy that buys for his 11 restaurants and he had to rattle the chains from the distributor side.  He is on every list here in DFW and had called one of the big boxes as he heard they had some W12.  Guy he knew that answered said they did not.  He called his distributor rep and said WTH.  Rep looked in her system somehow and said to call back and tell that guy Tits McGee said you do.  He did and the guy replied, "Oh yeah, sorry I thought you were asking about something else.  I'll save a few for you."  

That level of transparency is pretty rare. 

I somehow finagled my way onto the Blanton's list at my nearby Spec's. They call once a year or so, and I get a bottle. I don't even remember how it happened - I think it was because I was asking about bottles in a knowledgeable way, and I made it clear I was buying to drink, not to resell. But when I was there, my goal wasn't to get on a list, it was just to find some bourbon. Also, this particular specs seems to be "nicer" than most .. usually when I go into a Specs and ask about "have anything fun in the back?" I get an incredibly snarky brush off. It's comical - they're just dicks.

• Like 1

PSA: as of five minutes ago, TW in Dallas showed Blanton's and Eagle Rare available for pick-up. I was able to add to cart and complete the purchase online, I guess we'll see if the order actually gets fulfilled...

Disregard, they just called and told me it was a glitch in the system. Fucking tease.

Edited by SuperSport
boooooo

13 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I somehow finagled my way onto the Blanton's list at my nearby Spec's. They call once a year or so, and I get a bottle. I don't even remember how it happened - I think it was because I was asking about bottles in a knowledgeable way, and I made it clear I was buying to drink, not to resell. But when I was there, my goal wasn't to get on a list, it was just to find some bourbon. Also, this particular specs seems to be "nicer" than most .. usually when I go into a Specs and ask about "have anything fun in the back?" I get an incredibly snarky brush off. It's comical - they're just dicks.

I can go into one, maybe two, Spec's in Greater Houston and receive a straight faced, honest (?) answer to that question. It was once as many as three, but the Spec's near my office is under "new management".

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

You know that feeling when you put on an old jacket and find a $20 in the pocket? I just found this box in the garage while I was looking for something else.

c643fe5a7197561d11532e938880da61.jpg

Women go closet shopping for old clothes they haven't worn in a long time. Bourbon guys go closet shopping for bottles they forget they bought. 

Just go to a bar that has these and taste them first. You may decide it’s not worth the time and effort to hunt these down on your own.
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

PSA: as of five minutes ago, TW in Dallas showed Blanton's and Eagle Rare available for pick-up. I was able to add to cart and complete the purchase online, I guess we'll see if the order actually gets fulfilled...

Disregard, they just called and told me it was a glitch in the system. Fucking tease.

TW's website/inventory is notoriously sketchy. I always call before I put something in my online cart. I would suggest asking them to pull the physical bottle for you to make sure. I've heard before their computer inventory defaults to 1, not 0. A new employee might not know any better and tell you they have one bottle in stock when of course they 0 bottles in stock. 

In TW's defense their website interface is clean/really easy to use and the buying process is simple. I think Goody Goody's site is running on COBOL. 

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

27babec790a4d55e3ae5ae992d5f910b.jpg

It’s a little disconcerting that I forgot about it. I’m sure I assumed I drank it all.

you're sort of an asshole. Oh, I just forgot these three ungettable bottles, and three super-rare bottles in the garage. Sheesh. Might as well just give them to me, to make yourself feel better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

I've had the best luck at independent liquor stores in small towns.  Stop by often, buy a bottle of something every now and then and  ask the person behind the counter (its usually the same person every time) if they have any specific bottles you are looking for or any other special bottles.  Some of them will take your name and number and/or put you on a list.  I've gotten 2 bottles of Blanton's 6-8 months apart keeping my name on a list at one store.

you're sort of an asshole. Oh, I just forgot these three ungettable bottles, and three super-rare bottles in the garage. Sheesh. Might as well just give them to me, to make yourself feel better.

Oh I’m definitely an asshole. I paid $40 for the big Weller Antique and $50 for the ORVW.

44 minutes ago, davidg said:

I've had the best luck at independent liquor stores in small towns.  Stop by often, buy a bottle of something every now and then and  ask the person behind the counter (its usually the same person every time) if they have any specific bottles you are looking for or any other special bottles.  Some of them will take your name and number and/or put you on a list.  I've gotten 2 bottles of Blanton's 6-8 months apart keeping my name on a list at one store.

completely agree with this. There's a hole in the wall place near my inlaws (directionally towards kerrville) that I stop in every time. I don't know the folks by name, but I always buy something, and I always ask about Blantons, Weller 12/BP, and Eagle Rare. Last time I was in there, there was a bottle of Antique just sitting on the shelf - fucker had DUST on it. I bought that with the quickness. I've found Eagle Rare and EHTSiB the same way. Crazieness.

Dumped a bunch of stuff into my infinity bottle in celebration of my find.

Old Forester 1910 3/31/2020
Eagle Rare 4/11/2020
Weller Special Reserve 5/7/2020
Evan Williams Single Barrel 5/7/2020
Blanton’s 5/7/2020
Old Weller Antique 5/7/2020
McKenna 10 year 5/7/2020
Buffalo Trace 5/7/2020
Four Roses Small Batch Select 5/7/2020
1792 Full Proof 5/7/2020
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch A119 5/7/2020
Russell’s Reserve 10 Year 5/7/2020
Maker’s Mark Private Select 5/7/2020
Fiddler Georgia Heartwood Atlanta Cystic Fibrosis Barrel Pick 5/72020

1.5 oz each

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Dumped a bunch of stuff into my infinity bottle in celebration of my find.

Old Forester 1910 3/31/2020
Eagle Rare 4/11/2020
Weller Special Reserve 5/7/2020
Evan Williams Single Barrel 5/7/2020
Blanton’s 5/7/2020
Old Weller Antique 5/7/2020
McKenna 10 year 5/7/2020
Buffalo Trace 5/7/2020
Four Roses Small Batch Select 5/7/2020
1792 Full Proof 5/7/2020
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch A119 5/7/2020
Russell’s Reserve 10 Year 5/7/2020
Maker’s Mark Private Select 5/7/2020
Fiddler Georgia Heartwood Atlanta Cystic Fibrosis Barrel Pick 5/72020

1.5 oz each

If you mix all the colors, you just get black.

I have some 12-year-old Chivas regal scotch that I picked up about 20 years ago so that would  make it 32-year-old Scotch.  I am by no means an expert on scotch or bourbon but do you guys think this is anything special/something I should saver?

18 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I have some 12-year-old Chivas regal scotch that I picked up about 20 years ago so that would  make it 32-year-old Scotch.  I am by no means an expert on scotch or bourbon but do you guys think this is anything special/something I should saver?

It is still only 12 year old scotch. Only the years in the barrel are counted, not in the bottle. 

• Like 2

Just now, Neonmoon said:

It is still only 12 year old scotch. Only the years in the barrel are counted, not in the bottle. 

Ok thanks!  Yeah I’m really an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Little late to the game but really like scotch and bourbon now.  I’ll try not to ask too many stupid questions but I’m trying to learn more now that I am drinking it more these days.  

Where was it stored? Away from sunlight? Would be interesting to compare a modern bottle of the same 12 year.

10 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Ok thanks!  Yeah I’m really an idiot when it comes to this stuff. Little late to the game but really like scotch and bourbon now.  I’ll try not to ask too many stupid questions but I’m trying to learn more now that I am drinking it more these days.  

When my grandfather died, we found an old bottle of scotch hidden in the closet.  I’m sure he just forgot it was there.  None of us had ever heard of the brand.  God only knows how long he had it stashed away.  It was probably at least 40 years old.  My dad, my uncle, and I got out 3 glasses and toasted my grandfather.  That shit was fucking terrible.

13 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Where was it stored? Away from sunlight? Would be interesting to compare a modern bottle of the same 12 year.

Yeah, it was shoved in the back of a buffet and forgot it was there.  Had some last night.  It was pretty good.  It’s a small bottle that I got at the kick off party for a Royal Forest that I think was at Hermann Park.  Not sure because I was pretty drunk.  

Edited by stork642

On 5/7/2020 at 9:09 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Most stuff isn't allocated in minute batches as a nationwide rule. It's the fact that many states don't control liquor sales, so MSRP is not a reality. We have Blantons, ER, EC, Buffalo Trace, and most other hard to find bourbons (Pappy and Weller seem to be the exception to that rule around here) on shelves throughout the state. We pay retail $35 ER,  $50-60 Blantons, and the same holds true on all other bourbons.

I think the system of false supply, and demand, which is what I think they may be doing in Texas, and other states is totally BS.

18 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

When my grandfather died, we found an old bottle of scotch hidden in the closet.  I’m sure he just forgot it was there.  None of us had ever heard of the brand.  God only knows how long he had it stashed away.  It was probably at least 40 years old.  My dad, my uncle, and I got out 3 glasses and toasted my grandfather.  That shit was fucking terrible.

Why do you think your grandfather stashed it? He knew it was shit.