Bourbon

Jimbaround

38 minutes ago, SurlyBDR said:

Georgetown. I called the other location as well but they said no 

Nice. My Twin Liquors just got some 375 mls for 34.99. I snagged one from my guy there. First one I‘ve bought in the wild, so I’m excited to see what all the fuss is about...

• Like 1

I’d recommend Rossville Barrel Proof Rye if you can’t find Pikesville. Not sure Rossville is worth the money when it doesn’t fare well against its cheaper competitors. 

But it’s not a fair fight. Pikesville is 51% rye mashbill, 110 proof. While Rossville is blend of 51% and 95% MGP ryes. Not sure if MGP had enough stock to roll out a 5-6 year old, barrel proof 51% rye, but it would have made a better product.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

The last bottle of Blanton’s I got was very average. I don’t think I’m going to pursue it any more. Guy at Total Wine says they changed the mash bill at some point, I don’t know if that’s true. I’m sure a store pick is better.

The Blanton’s Gold is still fantastic.

Yesterday I really wanted a bourbon and coke and discovered that I was out of Larceny and OF86, which are my usual mixers. What I did have on hand, in the back, was a little less than a half bottle of old label Weller 107. So, fuck it. 

When my neighbor saw what I was doing he said "at least make an Old Fashioned or something," and I said "What I want is a bourbon and coke. It's the end of the world and this is the worst thing I've got."

You don't buy whiskey to look at it, people. 

• Like 3

On 5/16/2020 at 9:47 PM, Neonmoon said:

Beware. Internet says sourced from Indiana (good) and Tennessee (bad)

I’m sure it’s fine, but with an original MSRP of $150, I’m guessing there’s a reason it’s been marked down 

I wouldn't pay one-fiddy for something I didn't know for a fact was candy...

I'm not the hugest fan of Willett Family Estate Small Batch Rye. The mouth feel is really skimpy and it has a sweet funk in the finish. That being said it's a good rye at a decent price. I wouldn't pass on a bottle. I think they'll get there, they did create some of the greatest ryes ever produced back in the day. 

Something interesting I've noticed on the r/bourbon thread, they have a very low opinion of the Bulleit 12 Year Old Rye. "Tastes like pickles" seems to be the most common complaint. I, uh, don't get it. 

18 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yesterday I really wanted a bourbon and coke and discovered that I was out of Larceny and OF86, which are my usual mixers. What I did have on hand, in the back, was a little less than a half bottle of old label Weller 107. So, fuck it. 

When my neighbor saw what I was doing he said "at least make an Old Fashioned or something," and I said "What I want is a bourbon and coke. It's the end of the world and this is the worst thing I've got."

You don't buy whiskey to look at it, people. 

I bought an OF 100 proof the other day but the finish has a very weird aftertaste. Don't really like it so I've been making juleps with 2 oz gentleman jack and 1 oz 100 proof just to get use out of it. Sacrilegious? 

Eh, who gives a fuck it actually tastes good like this

8 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I bought an OF 100 proof the other day but the finish has a very weird aftertaste. Don't really like it so I've been making juleps with 2 oz gentleman jack and 1 oz 100 proof just to get use out of it. Sacrilegious? 

As someone else posted above, drink your drink.  

Not every OF product is the elixir of gods.  To me, that product line is a mixed bag.  Both the 1897 and the 1920 have a bit of a medicinal taste up front that turns me off.  There are many other bourbons and ryes in the same price range (or even less) that I would choose over them.  But the 1910 is very, very tasty, and the rye is an excellent value.  OFBB is a unicorn for me.  Some day . . .  

5 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Look who's smart now for buying a couple cases of Benchmark 8 at the beginning of the quarantine.  I usually keep a bottle of Gentleman Jack around in case I want casual pour in the evening or in case I'm out of Benchmark and need something for a cocktail. I'd put Old Forester Rye in the same category. Very far from sacrilegious sir. 

Bozo has a pretty nice personal collection, so I won't fault him for using some Antique in a pinch. Especially on a Sunday in Texas when all the liquor stores are closed. 

I remember when Heights Bier Garten opened in 2017. They were making all of their bourbon cocktails with Eagle Rare. To use Eagle Rare at that scale for a prolonged amount of time was/is shocking. Oh well, unknowing patrons enjoyed a really nice cocktail at a good price. 

9 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

As someone else posted above, drink your drink.  

Not every OF product is the elixir of gods.  To me, that product line is a mixed bag.  Both the 1897 and the 1920 have a bit of a medicinal taste up front that turns me off.  There are many other bourbons and ryes in the same price range (or even less) that I would choose over them.  But the 1910 is very, very tasty, and the rye is an excellent value.  OFBB is a unicorn for me.  Some day . . .  

You are definitely right about OF products but I disagree on the 1920.  I think that is one of their better offerings.  The Birthday Bourbon is the best.  I have an old bottle and it is fantastic.  I was drinking the 1910 last night.  I am not one of those guys that can tell you all the different fruits/spices/chocolate flavors you smell and taste but for the first time with any bourbon I could totally smell caramel apples with peanuts when I smelled the 1910 in my glass.  If anybody else has this stuff tell me if you can smell that also.  Kind of curious.

6 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You are definitely right about OF products but I disagree on the 1920.  I think that is one of their better offerings.  The Birthday Bourbon is the best.  I have an old bottle and it is fantastic.  I was drinking the 1910 last night.  I am not one of those guys that can tell you all the different fruits/spices/chocolate flavors you smell and taste but for the first time with any bourbon I could totally smell caramel apples with peanuts when I smelled the 1910 in my glass.  If anybody else has this stuff tell me if you can smell that also.  Kind of curious.

I.... I smell bourbon....

7 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You're not alone on this board in liking the 1920.  I don't dislike it.  It's just that I've got others in the same price range (or less) that I like better.    

I also taste caramel in the 1910, along with some toffee and chocolate.  It's on the sweet side for a bourbon, but it isn't cloying to me.  And most importantly, I don't get the brief medicinal note up front like I do with the 1897 and 1920.  

I wish Ole Forester would release half bottles or pints of the Whiskey Row Series in a bundle. I would have never bought Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Barrel Proof or the Single Barrel Rye if I couldn’t try a half bottle first. Bars of course are closed right now, so it’s a good way to learn people on your brand and would make a hell of a Christmas present.

• Like 1

It’s Bourbon Night has a review of Jim Beam SiB 108 Proof up in YouTube. They recommended it as a good value bottle. They compared it to Distiller’s Cut which I believe was discontinued. 

Their palettes are decent if you’re looking for high volume reviewers. Chad has had some notable whiffs. Sara is usually right on the money.

e019996f9697460ddba2ec37a0b999d4.jpg

Had a tasting with a friend that had never tasted these tonight. I realize this was hardly a blind tasting and he only had about .5 oz of each

Still a fun little fun

Maybe I had some too along the way

A few of those look familiar. Figured you’d finished them long ago.

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Apparently the Weller Single Barrel is out in the wild... imma need a report card from whoever is lucky enough to score!

heard about it's release.  good luck finding it.  buffalo trace also just released their latest installment of the charter oak series.  that one will be even rarer.  

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

heard about it's release.  good luck finding it.  buffalo trace also just released their latest installment of the charter oak series.  that one will be even rarer.  

I saw a box of Charter Oak in a cart at the Spec’s jail break/riot/restaurant allocation sale at the beginning of the quarantine. Probably the closest I’ll ever get to a bottle. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I saw a box of Charter Oak in a cart at the Spec’s jail break/riot/restaurant allocation sale at the beginning of the quarantine. Probably the closest I’ll ever get to a bottle. 

which one?  the last one i believe was french oak.  this new one is chinquapin.  i first heard about it around the time of the mongolian oak release.  i looked so long and hard for it i finally emailed them and she responded back that they shipped one bottle total to the entire state of texas.  thanks for making me waste my time.

44 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

which one?  the last one i believe was french oak.  this new one is chinquapin.  i first heard about it around the time of the mongolian oak release.  i looked so long and hard for it i finally emailed them and she responded back that they shipped one bottle total to the entire state of texas.  thanks for making me waste my time.

I believe it was French Oak. The scarcity doesn't shock me. I read Buffalo Trace only bottled 24 barrels of Saz 18 in 2019. 

There’s a fairly interesting Weller Single Barrel thread on r/bourbon. They’ve reached a consensus that it’s bait for taters trying to collect money the entire Weller line. 

I tend to agree. It’s basically Antique cut with more water. I’ve already been warned Antique will be unusually scarce this year because Buffalo Trace reallocated Antique barrels for the Weller SiB program.