Bourbon

Jimbaround

53 minutes ago, huge said:

I hate finishing things I can’t replace.

I agree, the sad part is that I'm putting more and more bottles to the side because I can't find them anymore.  ECBP and Stagg Jr seem to be the latest 2 casualties around here.

5 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Today’s snags - Gotta support our local bartenders!

86fea7167f6a3ef64008d61072424168.jpg

Passed on both of these but thinking of going back for the Shenk’s... thoughts?

a4966a41f0533a7a868d7567c851fb48.jpg

291e4ab6a585ff5a2a2b04c11584f058.jpg

Shenk’s is very mysterious. It’s a Michter’s product so none of us should be surprised. No age statement. Unknown mashbill. I bought a couple bottles at around $40 and enjoyed them. I’d say it’s better than Michter’s Sour Mash, but not in the same class of Michter’s 10. 

Michter’s is obviously playing with the mashbill and barrels because it’s not classified as a bourbon or rye. It’s a Kentucky Sour Mash Whiskey. I’ve read about them using French oak in their barrels. 

Based on past vintages, I’d recommend it as something different and M10 adjacent. 

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

There’s a fairly interesting Weller Single Barrel thread on r/bourbon. They’ve reached a consensus that it’s bait for taters trying to collect money the entire Weller line. 

I tend to agree. It’s basically Antique cut with more water. I’ve already been warned Antique will be unusually scarce this year because Buffalo Trace reallocated Antique barrels for the Weller SiB program.

I haven’t had it, but I’ve yet to taste a Weller product that sucks 

There’s a fairly interesting Weller Single Barrel thread on r/bourbon. They’ve reached a consensus that it’s bait for taters trying to collect money the entire Weller line. 

I tend to agree. It’s basically Antique cut with more water. I’ve already been warned Antique will be unusually scarce this year because Buffalo Trace reallocated Antique barrels for the Weller SiB program.

Tater bait or not - it does have a burnt orange label.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Somehow, even though I haven’t been a huge fan, I end up with a few bottles of Garrison Bros. Today I picked up a TW SB store pick clocking in at 142.4. Struggling with the age but assume it’s 7-8 years even though the pre-printed statement says 3. Believe you can technically be older as the age statement refers to the youngest whiskey in the bottles.  Anyway...   

15839D49-565C-490D-BE2F-CC660F2EF673.jpeg

1311F7D0-4FF6-4561-BCF0-CC89F7B926AE.jpeg

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Grab your pitchforks boys. Minnick is advocating Buffalo Trace double the MSRP on Weller Single Barrel to $100. He believes this would discourage retailers from marking it up and scare off flippers.

Yeah, that wouldn't happen. 

Fred Minnick is a parasite. 

Anyone tried the recent Michters 10 release?
i’ve got one available for 126+, but the last couple of bottles were just ok, compared to 2-3ish years ago.
and, FFMinnick

Yeah, the toasted barrel I hit maybe 3-4 years ago was finominal. Got one this year that’s fine but nothing special. That said, I cracked open a michters 10 a few weeks ago and am enjoying the hell out of it. If you open it and don’t like it, I’d take the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:
Finally got a Russels Reserve SB store pick. Can’t wait to try it tonight 

I've got a bunch and I really like them, tasty drinker that isn't impossible to find.

Working on it now. It is very tasty. Very balanced 

Finished in a tequila barrel ?  That does not sound tasty at all.

This is a strange but pretty damn tasty whiskey.
Definitely get the fig and honey on the nose along with some mint. Big time sweetness on the palate up front which tails into a bit of cinnamon.

Don’t get the tequila until the tail end of the finish.
Very unique release. It may turn off some of the people who aren’t real big Balcones fans but
Overall I dig it, may end up getting a 2nd bottle.