Bourbon

Jimbaround

Anyone familiar with Heaven’s Door? Saw one in a local likker store today. 26 year old bourbon, very limited release obviously.78ed12f327d1d44a4eff8d29394b6840.jpg

Really wonder where that HD is sourced from, but that’s a damn pretty bottle... what are they asking? Gonna guess $1220 based solely on packaging.

14 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Really wonder where that HD is sourced from, but that’s a damn pretty bottle... what are they asking? Gonna guess $1220 based solely on packaging.

It was $700 out the door.

The purple top is a Rowans Creek.

Whoa just "hit the lottery" at Twins

I have a dozen + bottles of W12 and can source ERs whenever I want...that said I do love my W12, so do I just pick up another bottle..... or one of the others?

You can choose one of the following bottles to purchase:

Weller 12

$    28.99

Stagg Jr

$    49.99

High West Midwinter Dram

$    78.99

EH Taylor SmBatch

$    39.99

Eagle Rare

$    29.99

6 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I have a dozen + bottles of W12 and can source ERs whenever I want...that said I do love my W12, so do I just pick up another bottle..... or one of the others?

Weller 12

$    28.99

Stagg Jr

$    49.99

High West Midwinter Dram

$    78.99

EH Taylor SmBatch

$    39.99

Eagle Rare

$    29.99

Weller 12, but Stagg Jr is a tempting choice. It was never a shelfer, but you could find it up until about a year ago. The Best of 2019 reviews of Batch 12 and 13 have thrown the Stagg Jr craze into overdrive. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Weller 12
$    28.99
Stagg Jr
$    49.99
High West Midwinter Dram
$    78.99
EH Taylor SmBatch
$    39.99
Eagle Rare
$    29.99
Coin flip on Stagg Jr or Weller 12 for me, if you already have a dozen Weller though I would go Stagg, new batches are good.

It's "bargain" bourbon night. I've been putting a whooping on Eagle Rare lately, so I switched it up with Shenk's Homestead Kentucky Sour Mash Whiskey, 2018, about 91proof. Allegedly Michter's couldn't call it bourbon because they blended juice from French Oak barrels. You definitely pick up the tannic, mildly bitter notes from the French Oak, but it's been growing on me. It's different and pretty good. I think I paid $40 for it at a Goody Goody. I can live with that. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 6:38 PM, Bert Orange said:

Disagree. Nose is very strong. But palate and finish is going to leave dusty a turkey folks very disappointed. 

Bert you definitely know you stuff. I respect your opinion. Did you get a second pour? Minnick (I know, huge douche, but good palette) said it improved on the second pour. The Rare Bird 101 guy liked it, and he’s probably the foremost Wild Turkey expert. But yeah, mixed reviews isn’t what you want to see on a $175 bottle. 

16 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Weller 12

$    28.99

Stagg Jr

$    49.99

High West Midwinter Dram

$    78.99

EH Taylor SmBatch

$    39.99

Eagle Rare

$    29.99

of all of those, midwinter dram is the hardest to find.

• Like 1

One of my local Kingwood stores just got a Knob Creek private barrel. It’s 9 years and 3 months and pretty good. Owner said he picked it over a 15 year.  Could well have been the better barrel but I’m guessing it will move slowly and a 15 year would fly out.  I’m trying to respect his decision but pretty sure I’d have made a different call - even if I truly preferred the younger barrel.  

One of my local Kingwood stores just got a Knob Creek private barrel. It’s 9 years and 3 months and pretty good. Owner said he picked it over a 15 year.  Could well have been the better barrel but I’m guessing it will move slowly and a 15 year would fly out.  I’m trying to respect his decision but pretty sure I’d have made a different call - even if I truly preferred the younger barrel.  
You are spot on for my area too. 15 year picks are gone in an hour or two and anything else sits for months.

27 minutes ago, brown water said:

Rice Liquor in Bellaire also has a 9 year as their KC store pick. Similar explanation, but I didn’t buy it. 

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bert you definitely know you stuff. I respect your opinion. Did you get a second pour? Minnick (I know, huge douche, but good palette) said it improved on the second pour. The Rare Bird 101 guy liked it, and he’s probably the foremost Wild Turkey expert. But yeah, mixed reviews isn’t what you want to see on a $175 bottle. 

I’ve revisited three times. It’s not a bad pour. It just lacks the character that makes dusty turkey so enjoyable. It’s like a more recent 101 taken up a couple notches in age. Which makes it rare (comparably) and unique in recent vintages. But it’s still lacking the depth I seek. I won’t buy another at retail. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

I’ve revisited three times. It’s not a bad pour. It just lacks the character that makes dusty turkey so enjoyable. It’s like a more recent 101 taken up a couple notches in age. Which makes it rare (comparably) and unique in recent vintages. But it’s still lacking the depth I seek. I won’t buy another at retail. 

Probably a one time purchase for me. I agree, it’s too expensive. It’d  be unreasonable to expect Wild Turkey to produce something 3 times better than Russell’s Reserve Single Barrels. 

You’re a Turkey fan. How did they lose the magic touch? How does a 101 dusty beat the pants off the best stuff they produce now?

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Early Fathers Day gift from the wife. She found it at a Twin in Austin.
4457657b56e1933fa232b1737ba574d9.jpg

Yep, it’s a 1.75!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard about some 1.75's floating around in Houston.   Did not expect to hear of any in Austin.   i'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

On 6/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Probably a one time purchase for me. I agree, it’s too expensive. It’d  be unreasonable to expect Wild Turkey to produce something 3 times better than Russell’s Reserve Single Barrels. 

You’re a Turkey fan. How did they lose the magic touch? How does a 101 dusty beat the pants off the best stuff they produce now?

I wish I knew. I wish more they knew. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m cruising thorough this OF 1870. It’s amazing the amount of very drinkable good bourbon on the market. This bottle is an afterthought for most people but it’s a great daily drinker type. 

You know, B-F makes some really good stuff. I think the whole lineup of OF is solid. That said, I don’t really care for the OFBB. Which puts me in the minority. 

On 6/19/2020 at 10:00 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Cracked all these for a solid SBS

9BCB74B2-4095-4698-AEA2-677A14BE9F9F.jpeg

• Like 3