Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

You know, B-F makes some really good stuff. I think the whole lineup of OF is solid. That said, I don’t really care for the OFBB. Which puts me in the minority. 

Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Barrel Strength is criminally underrated. But, much like Maker’s Mark I wish they’d give the “blend to taste stuff” a rest and release one older, age stated product. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I wish I knew. I wish more they knew. 

Jimmy Russell has been there the whole time. 60 years. The most convincing theory I’ve seen is that in the 80s and 90s Wild Turkey had such a huge surplus of older stock that they mixed it with 8 year old 101. By most accounts it went down hill after WT removed 101’s age statement.

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jimmy Russell has been there the whole time. 60 years. The most convincing theory I’ve seen is that in the 80s and 90s Wild Turkey had such a huge surplus of older stock that they mixed it with 8 year old 101. By most accounts it went down hill after WT removed 101’s age statement.

This is 100% accurate. The bourbon glut that began in the late 70s and carries into the early 90s certainly contributed to whiskey ages well beyond the age statement. But that isn’t it. The flavor profile dramatically changed. Dusty turkey is decidedly different. Even 1998 WT tastes nothing like the stuff on the shelf today. That “funk” you used to get. Don’t know how to describe it, but you try and and you just know. 

Just now, Bert Orange said:

This is 100% accurate. The bourbon glut that began in the late 70s and carries into the early 90s certainly contributed to whiskey ages well beyond the age statement. But that isn’t it. The flavor profile dramatically changed. Dusty turkey is decidedly different. Even 1998 WT tastes nothing like the stuff on the shelf today. That “funk” you used to get. Don’t know how to describe it, but you try and and you just know. 

I’ve read recipe change rumors as well. When WT ownership changed hands they urged the Russells to change the recipe. I believe the Russells have consistently shot this rumor down. 

It seems like a High West Double Rye kind of night. May just have to do some damage to this bottle and go sit on the beach and do some late evening fishing in a little while assuming I can still cast.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You’re living all of our best lives.

Apparently not, plans were foiled by the kids belief that going to get ice cream was a better ending to the day then sitting on the beach chasing Snook. Guess I’ll make a to-go drink.

I’m enjoying a nice pour of Blanton’s tonight, and while it’s very good, I’m finding more and more that I prefer higher proof pours. 

After the last few weekends of drinking ECBP, Larceny BP and a 15 year Knob Creek single barrel store pick, this 93 proof Blanton’s tastes like water. 

Now I understand what everyone says about how Blanton’s is quite overrated and not worth the hype. 

46 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I’m enjoying a nice pour of Blanton’s tonight, and while it’s very good, I’m finding more and more that I prefer higher proof pours. 

After the last few weekends of drinking ECBP, Larceny BP and a 15 year Knob Creek single barrel store pick, this 93 proof Blanton’s tastes like water. 

Now I understand what everyone says about how Blanton’s is quite overrated and not worth the hype. 

Blanton’s has higher proof bourbons available, they’re just a little difficult to locate.

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

Lower proof is harder to do well. Higher proof can hide imperfections, specifically age. I think liking the higher proofs is a natural progression, but don’t sleep on the lower proofs. They can be more complex and layered. I like Hancock’s Reserve better than Blanton’s.

IW Harper 15 is the lowest you should go at 86 proof.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It looks like the Oak Cabinet's Four Rose Single Barrel, Barrel Strength pick went in a great, big hurry. I blame social media. Oh well it was nice while it lasted.  You Austin guys were getting spoiled on that honey hole. 

There was a line around the building. It didn't last long. That place has a few secret bourbon groups that pretty much know before anyone when they get the goods. 

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There was a line around the building. It didn't last long. That place has a few secret bourbon groups that pretty much know before anyone when they get the goods. 

A similar thing happened in Houston at Village Liquor in Garden Oaks. It was an online sale billed as being open to the public on a Saturday morning. I wasn't even able to log in to attempt to buy it. It turns out they were sold out before the sale because local bourbon groups had already purchased the entire stock. 

Crazy times. I remember the Four Roses Single Barrel, Barrel Strength display just sitting there for months at Spec's in 2017. They'd sell out in under an hour now. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Does anybody have a solid guess on the EH Taylor Rye mashbill? What I’ve read about it: 

1) It’s a higher rye mashbill than the traditional Buffalo Trace barely legal rye (51%) mashbill. It’s Barton’s rye mashbill.
2) It’s distilled by and at Barton and later bottled at BT. 
3) Barton sold their entire stock of excellent 16 year ryes to High West some years back, and it’s the secret sauce in Midwinter’s. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Does anybody have a solid guess on the EH Taylor Rye mashbill? What I’ve read about it: 

1) It’s a higher rye mashbill than the traditional Buffalo Trace barely legal rye (51%) mashbill. It’s Barton’s rye mashbill.
2) It’s distilled by and at Barton and later bottled at BT. 
3) Barton sold their entire stock of excellent 16 year ryes to High West some years back, and it’s the secret sauce in Midwinter’s. 

A solid guess? It’s a high rye, no corn recipe with some malted barley. I’m guessing 85% rye with 15% barley 

• Like 1

Only 95 barrels for the 2020 Birthday Bourbon. https://www.gobourbon.com/old-forester-announces-the-20th-release-of-birthday-bourbon/

And they lowered the age statement and the proof. Just lovely. 

I’ll give myself 1 chance in 5 of getting a bottle this year. 20th release of Birthday. 150th Anniversary of Old Forester. Nothing gets the taters more lathered up than anniversaries. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Only 95 barrels for the 2020 Birthday Bourbon. https://www.gobourbon.com/old-forester-announces-the-20th-release-of-birthday-bourbon/

And they lowered the age statement and the proof. Just lovely. 

I’ll give myself 1 chance in 5 of getting a bottle this year. 20th release of Birthday. 150th Anniversary of Old Forester. Nothing gets the taters more lathered up than anniversaries. 

1 in 5?  I've never seen a bottle of it in any liquor store.

12 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Shit, it's easier to get a BTAC than a Birthday bourbon.  Even with a good relationship, I've not gotten a BB @ retail. 
The ones I have gotten, I have traded secondary for.

My connect has called me the past three years for it. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. I will say the call last year was very late in the game. Some people in front of me maybe didn't answer their phones, and I did. 

I didn't fare well on the BTACs last year. Just a bottle of Handy. Missed on GTS and WLW. Again no rhyme or reason. 

27 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

A120 ECBP >>>> A119

This may be my third favorite batch behind batch 1 and hazmat. Amazing stuff. 

image.jpg

I splurged and spent the extra $40 above MSRP for the A120, and I'm glad I did. An A1- batch bottle is pretty tough to find in Houston. B1- and C1- are out there, but require a little hustle. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Could somebody walk me through the Facebook secondary process? Please DM me if you'd prefer to keep the conversation private.

There’s a group called “Texas Tater Marketplace” that you can join after answering a few basic questions.  There’s a good amount of daily posting activity on both the buying and offering sides. Good luck!

Could somebody walk me through the Facebook secondary process? Please DM me if you'd prefer to keep the conversation private.

I’m a moderator for one in DFW.
Look up Dallas Anything can go moving company.
Couple of questions and you’ll be approved.
Lotta people will ship.
  • Like 1

I’m a moderator for one in DFW.
Look up Dallas Anything can go moving company.
Couple of questions and you’ll be approved.
Lotta people will ship.
Need to be in Texas or can you live in Kentucky to join? It seems like every group I'm in gets shut down and I like to keep a pulse on what secondary is because I like to torture myself apparently