Bourbon

Jimbaround

Need to be in Texas or can you live in Kentucky to join? It seems like every group I'm in gets shut down and I like to keep a pulse on what secondary is because I like to torture myself apparently

Geez me too. I must pick the exact wrong time and place to go because it seems like everyone else has the hooch I want whenever they go.

18 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

I chase the hard to find and allocated as much as anybody, but sipping an Evan Williams single barrel tonight is a good reminder that good juice does not have to be overpriced or unobtainable.

Thanks for reminding me. My Daily Drinking Quarantine Restock List keeps getting longer. It depends on the barrel, but I’ve enjoyed some Evan Williams SiB bottles more than Eagle Rare.

2 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Really? Haven't run across, nor heard anything about this year's B and C batches of ECBP around Houston. Found the A pretty easy.

C won’t come out until at least September. The number represents the month of release  

1=January, 5=May 9=September

16 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

A question from a somewhat bourbon newby: does the A vs B vs C batch matter all that much or does it just indicate the order of release?

It’s the same barrel vintage with progressive angle’s share with each release. Kinda interesting to compare all three during the year and see the impacts. 

6 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

A question from a somewhat bourbon newby: does the A vs B vs C batch matter all that much or does it just indicate the order of release?

The letter is the order of the batch. The first number is the month of release. The last two numbers are the year of release.  ECBP has three releases— January, May and September (thus, 1/5/9)

Typically for ECBP, the C release has been the best release of the year, but B520 is supposed to be the tits. Will be tough for the C batch to top it. 

Though I have yet to try B520, the proof is down a bit from previous batches, but still packs a punch. I’m betting the bit of lower proof is letting more flavor through and you’re not getting as much ethanol on the palette. 

• Like 1

I know there are some notable recent exceptions, I enjoyed the Heaven Hill 7 meltdown from afar, but do y'all usually get new releases early? 
I can't speak for other areas of KY but in nky we seem to get them later actually for stuff released all over. Seems weird to me, but like the last wild turkey release was showing up on secondary way before release here.

I'm still a little pissed they took my Manhattan making 12 dollar hh bib haha

2 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

I can't speak for other areas of KY but in nky we seem to get them later actually for stuff released all over. Seems weird to me, but like the last wild turkey release was showing up on secondary way before release here.

I'm still a little pissed they took my Manhattan making 12 dollar hh bib haha

I wasn't impressed with the HH7. I probably won't buy another bottle. Hard to beat Rare Breed at the same price point. I guess Evan Williams BiB at $13 is the new HH BiB. 

* Hot take alert*

I don’t buy many of the brand stereotypes. All Brown - Forman products don’t taste like banana. It’s like Minnick said it once  and all the r/bourbon reviewers latched on. A “a dab of banana bread” seems to be the subtle dig most professional reviewers throw at BF products. 

I think the Jim Beam boiled peanuts stereotype has some heft. Any Jim Beam labeled bottle tastes like peanuts. You’re a follower and possible snob if you pick it up in Knob Creek/ Baker’s/ Booker’s/ OGD. 

I think I’m starting to figure this whole Bourbon thing out.  Just finished a bottle of Weller Special Reserve.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I’m getting some Elijah Craig Small Batch next.  

Edited by stork642
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I think I’m starting to figure this whole Bourbon thing out.  Just finished a bottle of Weller Special Reserve.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I’m getting some Elijah Craig Small Batch next.  

This thread has a ton of info in it. Helped me out along me the way tremendously 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 11:48 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Had a good storm roll in last night, made for a great night on the patio with a really good local EC pick and a great cigar.
030f0e7041c61449f0c0d336560e2b12.jpg

Missed out on this one last weekend by getting HogFather instead.. 

Picked up the longhorn steakhouse (oct 19 dump so 14.5 years) from hall's today. Along with the mirage ECSB. 

Heading up to Loyalty in the morning to drop off some mules. 

Edited by msudawg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

This poorer man's Pappy's is starting to come around.  Can't recall when I blended it, but it's growing on me (disclaimer:  2+ margaritas and 3 bourbons in tonight)....

My issue with Poorer Man’s Pappy is that it’s about the price as Maker’s Private Select. Why mess with a masterpiece? 

Missed out on this one last weekend by getting HogFather instead.. 
Picked up the longhorn steakhouse (oct 19 dump so 14.5 years) from hall's today. Along with the mirage ECSB. 
Heading up to Loyalty in the morning to drop off some mules. 

That Longhorn KC is really good.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Scored a Weller 12 today. Yeah me. When you see the regular Weller bottles are fully stocked, you know somethings up. 

Was offered a Weller Full Proof for $260. I didn’t pull the trigger. Was that dumb?

I was passing through Blanco this morning and stopped in a small store just to see what they had. They had OWA for $129 and Weller 12 for $225.  First time I’ve ever seen either in a store, but still passed.

Went on a bottle of Weller Full Proof with a few others at $250. It’s not worth that, but you are unlikely to find it at MSRP that it’s going to be in that range if you want to try it.

It’s pretty damn good. Is it 5x better than 1920 or 2x better than Woodford Batch Proof? Of course not. If you’re hell bent on trying it out then that’s likely what it’s going to run you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Scored a Weller 12 today. Yeah me. When you see the regular Weller bottles are fully stocked, you know somethings up. 

Was offered a Weller Full Proof for $260. I didn’t pull the trigger. Was that dumb?

not dumb.   that's a ridiculous price.

• Like 2

I've bought 2 Weller 12s and a Weller Antique 107 in my bourbon life. All 3 times were under $100. Having tried them and with Old Forester 1910, 1920, and Buffalo Trace readily available at MSRP, I don't think I'd ever pay more.