Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 6/25/2020 at 10:10 AM, Smax said:

This was a few years ago, I bought 3 left 1
Still have 1 bottle left

b33d0749bd604540761e00266106b2d2.jpg

And on sale. Amazing. I could be wrong here, but it looks like the 2017 bottle. I remember the blue label and the really pale white cork.

Hilarious that the Woodford Reserve is DOUBLE the price. It must have been an interesting day for the guy with the label maker. 

You're a good person. I would have bought all 4.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Woodford Reserve Batch Proof is a solid proofer. I’ll just leave it at that. It’s probably an annual buy for me, but nothing special. 
If you’re looking for a similar, but superior flavor profile, I’d recommend Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof.
I looked at a party source jd barrel proof store pick for a solid minute and the employee actually talked me out of buying it a week ago. Mistake it sounds like?

3 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Woodford Reserve Batch Proof is a solid proofer. I’ll just leave it at that. It’s probably an annual buy for me, but nothing special. 
If you’re looking for a similar, but superior flavor profile, I’d recommend Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof.

I looked at a party source jd barrel proof store pick for a solid minute and the employee actually talked me out of buying it a week ago. Mistake it sounds like?

They sell half bottles if you’re worried about taking the plunge. I like it, and that seems to be the popular opinion. No trace of charcoal. 

17 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
They sell half bottles if you’re worried about taking the plunge. I like it, and that seems to be the popular opinion. No trace of charcoal. 

Good to know. The non store picks are always there and I think I've seen 375s, so I'll have to try it.

I wish I bought a Balmorhea 375 last year. I’d rather get out of my system at $60 instead of $140. 

Jack gets a bad rap of Old No. 7 and whatever that Sinatra bottle is. SiB Barrel Proof, Gentleman Jack, and SiB Rye are all solid. I’m sure it was much better when everything was handmade, but Old No. 7 was allocated from the mid 50’s to the mid 70’s. I’ve heard anecdotes about it being Pappy hard to find for about 20 years. Pretty wild. 

• Like 2

Managed to grab two WT 17 Bottled in Bond in the last week.  Cracked one and it’s really good, but possibly a bit behind Decades and not too much better than the Spec’s Kentucky Spirit pick I grabbed around the same time.  Don’t get all butt hurt if you missed out.  But do ask your local Spec’s guy to see if any stores around you have the Kentucky Spirit pick.  

Also, Twin was co-packing Leviathan Red Blend wine and OWA store picks for father’ day.  Slammed the wine with some steak and shelved the OWA for when my current pick is gone.  

Finally landed a Rebel Yell 10 year single barrel. I got lucky on the Total Wine app this afternoon and was shocked when they confirmed the order. During the drive to pick it up I kept telling myself that someone grabbed a Rebel Yell 100, but sure enough they got it right. 

I’m shocked that something so allocated made it to their app for sale. Hopefully this is a good sign for the future. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Finally landed a Rebel Yell 10 year single barrel. I got lucky on the Total Wine app this afternoon and was shocked when they confirmed the order. During the drive to pick it up I kept telling myself that someone grabbed a Rebel Yell 100, but sure enough they got it right. 

I’m shocked that something so allocated made it to their app for sale. Hopefully this is a good sign for the future. 

This is exactly how I landed two bottles of Little Book 4  Little Book Chapter 3. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Well, this week’s outlook just perked up!

cc127bcadb9982c94fcbdbbe4fff4bc8.jpg

Also, came across this OF100 (straight bourbon) which I don’t believe I’ve seen before...

7eb2320f7ad2297a09d320b619788032.jpg

On the back of that SAOS, does it say distilled in Tennessee or Indiana?
If it's Tenn, that's Dickel and a HARD pass for me.  If it's MGP, then you gotta good fucking bottle.

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Knob Creek 15 has hit Houston. 

Get yourself a KC 15 year store pick and save yourself 40 bucks. Also, the proof on the store picks is 120 compared to 100 for the KC15. 

With these new KC age stated releases this year (12 and 15) I have a bad feeling that the 12/14/15 year KC store picks won’t be around much longer. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

Get yourself a KC 15 year store pick and save yourself 40 bucks. Also, the proof on the store picks is 120 compared to 100 for the KC15. 

With these new KC age stated releases this year (12 and 15) I have a bad feeling that the 12/14/15 year KC store picks won’t be around much longer. I hope I’m wrong. 

Pretty tough to find and usually at smaller, neighborhood stores.

Speaking of Old Forester, could somebody explain the r/bourbon fan boy love for the brand? I guess it’s a quality, available brand. They don’t do age statements, and the only offerings priced really well are the OF 100 and OF Rye. 

I just figured out their Single Barrel 90 proof offering is only 5 years old. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Speaking of Old Forester, could somebody explain the r/bourbon fan boy love for the brand? I guess it’s a quality, available brand. They don’t do age statements, and the only offerings priced really well are the OF 100 and OF Rye. 

You probably guessed right, that's basically why I like it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Subjective taste is subjective. 

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

3 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

You probably guessed right, that's basically why I like it.

Yep. BT staples like ER, W12, Blantons are hard to find on a regular basis or at all. You can walk into any store right now and find OF 1910, 1920, or 1870. Those are good bourbons. Same can be said for 4R. They have developed an available lineup.

• Like 3

Yep. BT staples like ER, W12, Blantons are hard to find on a regular basis or at all. You can walk into any store right now and find OF 1910, 1920, or 1870. Those are good bourbons. Same can be said for 4R. They have developed an available lineup.

Yep. Every single barrel store pick I’ve had is good. Most of their regular bottles are good and easy to find. They do a good job of differentiating their bottles. 1870 (not my favorite), for example, is different from 1897 and 1920. And they have a really cheap and decent rye for mixing drinks.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like Old Forester, but I wish they’d leave some bottles in the barrel a little longer. An 8 year Single Barrel would be awesome. But hey, that’s not really what Brown-Forman does. 

You’re preaching to the choir. At the same time, you have hot brunette twins making out with each out, and you’re like, can I get a blonde spinner please. Yes, we all want that, but let’s also appreciate what we have 

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

NO NO NO IT SUCKS, IT'S ROT GUT.  LEAVE IT ON THE SHELF. MOVE ALONG GET SOMETHING ELSE THAT'S BETTER....

Pssst..... the 116 is even better...... sssssssshhhhhh....

I thought the RB bourbon was decent. Anxious to try this one. 

I think my palette is changing, I now like Weller 12 much more than Antique. I’m picking up a clove funk in Antique that wasn’t there a few years ago. It’s still a great bourbon, but it no longer fits my flavor profiles

Weller Full Proof is marginally better than Antique. The extra proof helps, and it irons out the clove funk, but it still kind of there. I’ll never pay secondary for FP, but I’ll buy it if I see it for $50.