Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think my palette is changing, I now like Weller 12 much more than Antique. I’m picking up a clove funk in Antique that wasn’t there a few years ago. It’s still a great bourbon, but it no longer fits my flavor profiles

Weller Full Proof is marginally better than Antique. The extra proof helps, and it irons out the clove funk, but it still kind of there. I’ll never pay secondary for FP, but I’ll buy it if I see it for $50.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

welcome to the enlightenment.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29c37b762d4b566b442d

Kidding, they’re both good. But yeah I like W12 better 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Antique is a great mixer. W12 is a great bourbon.

True story. Trying Redemption Wheated blind against an NCF OWA really opened my eyes.  But I’m an MGP homer who thinks Boone County 12 is better than W12 too. 

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Is old scout still hard to find? Saw 10 bottles on the shelf at twin in bee caves. First time I've come across it in probably 5 years. There are 8 left

If it says 13 year select, don’t buy it. In fact, there is no way they have 10 bottles of the good Old Scout from years ago. That shit is long gone. 

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:
I just googled. It’s 5 year old MGP. I’m sure it’s fine. 

It tastes like what I remember. But I'm a minor leaguer compared to some of you guys.

If it tastes good. That’s all that matters. 

• Like 2

Took my Scout back in a fit on panic and was surprised to find a B sitting on the shelf, so I traded that in and took a flyer in the BH 10YO Rye. Their stuff is generally too sweet for me, but I love an aged Rye so why not...

80fd129a44247d8fa121c4bc166acc0c.jpg
Let me know how the bh rye is, all over shelves but not sure I want to drop 75 bucks on it

Also, I came across this in CO over the weekend and was intrigued. Apparently a passion project from Dave Phinney of Orin Swift fame, this was the most unique bourbon I’ve had in some time.

A blend of three small batches, one from Kentucky, another from Indiana and a brother from Tennessee, the first blush is very sweet, hints of honey and marshmallow coming through, but that evens quickly and follows with a tempered burn and some barrel char.

For $50, you bet your ass!

fd0751e5d58d76121dab90eb72b8b560.jpg2a7aae5ccd123799ab5e1005c68d3bc0.jpg

Also, I came across this in CO over the weekend and was intrigued. Apparently a passion project from Dave Phinney of Orin Swift fame, this was the most unique bourbon I’ve had in some time.

A blend of three small batches, one from Kentucky, another from Indiana and a brother from Tennessee, the first blush is very sweet, hints of honey and marshmallow coming through, but that evens quickly and follows with a tempered burn and some barrel char.

For $50, you bet your ass!

fd0751e5d58d76121dab90eb72b8b560.jpg2a7aae5ccd123799ab5e1005c68d3bc0.jpg
Where did you find it in CO?

If anything, I would hope that my directionality would have been more informative, at least to anyone familiar with the highway, as it is one of only two areas in CO where it runs East/West.

But alas, that was not the case, nor is this the cartography thread, so I digress.

To get things back on track: The ECSB B bottle is some hot fire

If anything, I would hope that my directionality would have been more informative, at least to anyone familiar with the highway, as it is one of only two areas in CO where it runs East/West.

But alas, that was not the case, nor is this the cartography thread, so I digress.

To get things back on track: The ECSB B bottle is some hot fire
I knew where you were talking about before i posted that. Was just being a smart ass.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m sure you’re aware of Evan Williams Botted in Bond. I think it’s the top rotgut. It can be consumed near if you’re so inclined. Not bad for $12.

rebel yell 100 is $19.99.  I like it better than dickel bib and heaven hill bib.  for sure better than evan williams.

50 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

rebel yell 100 is $19.99.  I like it better than dickel bib and heaven hill bib.  for sure better than evan williams.

I didn’t like Rebel Yell 100. Not a drain pour, but demoted to cocktail duty. Weller Special Reserve is also $20 and MUCH better.

Never again with Dickel. Never. Again. There are better ways to get your vitamins. 

I can’t speak to Heaven BiB 6 Year as I haven’t had the pleasure. I thought the Heaven Hill BiB 7 year was average and not a $40 bottle. 

I drank a lot of black label Evan Williams in  high school when was I was broker than usual. I’m kicking myself for not spending a couple extra bucks and drinking EW BiB. I think it’s the cheapest bottle you can enjoy neat. Terrific value. 5 years old, Bottled in Bond, and $12. If you’re a college student reading this thread, make it your daily drinker. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I just drank Jack Daniels in high school. I drank a lot of it on a regular basis (including one time involving a funnel) which is probably why my bourbon palate is so screwed up now years later. 

Edited by Brew

Going upstate, got a bottle of EW SiB to relax on but saw Bakers 7, BH Rye, and Russells Special Reserve which i think have been mentioned here but wasn't willing to pull the trigger for $50ish on each (don't really remember the prices). But I did see something I had never heard of, Buffalo Trace Kosher Wheat bourbon/whiskey/? and BT Kosher Rye. Anyone tried those two? Worth it? Didn't even look at price just thought they looked really different.

7 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Going upstate, got a bottle of EW SiB to relax on but saw Bakers 7, BH Rye, and Russells Special Reserve which i think have been mentioned here but wasn't willing to pull the trigger for $50ish on each (don't really remember the prices). But I did see something I had never heard of, Buffalo Trace Kosher Wheat bourbon/whiskey/? and BT Kosher Rye. Anyone tried those two? Worth it? Didn't even look at price just thought they looked really different.

The reviews haven’t been great on any of the three Buffalo Trace Kosher products, but the Rye seems to be the fan favorite. I‘Il buy all three if I can find them for MSRP. There are much worse ways to spend $120. Also way to go Buffalo Trace releasing the Kosher line 3 months after Passover. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rare Breed Rye has hit Houston. I followed my rule and bought two. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Might have to order me some more MMPS tomorrow. Wish I could find some RBR

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You stumped me. What’s RBR? It’s Brick Top here, so I’m guessing it’s MGP.

Just a guess....