Bourbon

Jimbaround

7 minutes ago, brown water said:

Just a guess....

Haha yes, I see it now RBR = Rare Breed Rye. Goody Goody is the only store I’ve seen it in stock. Very spotty at Houston Total Wine locations. The Pearland store on Broadway appears to have it. 

RBR isn’t on Spec’s website. I’m sure I’ll go to Spec’s tomorrow and they’ll have a pallet of it in the store. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked off the last two bottles of Larceny Single Barrels at Spec’s. They appear to be out of Rare Breed Rye. 

What is the general consensus on Rare Breed Rye’s supply availability? Will it normalize like the standard Rare Breed?

A couple of liquor stores showed up on my ubereats app this week.  I was browsing them and noticed one had Blantons for $99.  Put that in my cart and went to checkout.  The app would not let me checkout and told me I had to order food to have liquor delivered.  You can't add food from another place and this being a liquor store i couldn't checkout.  I noticed they also sold mixers.  Add one and no luck, added a bag of ice, nope.  Saw some champagne my wife likes added it and it would let me checkout, no idea why.

Dude showed up about 35 minutes later with both. 

12 minutes ago, obigbo said:

A couple of liquor stores showed up on my ubereats app this week.  I was browsing them and noticed one had Blantons for $99.  Put that in my cart and went to checkout.  The app would not let me checkout and told me I had to order food to have liquor delivered.  You can't add food from another place and this being a liquor store i couldn't checkout.  I noticed they also sold mixers.  Add one and no luck, added a bag of ice, nope.  Saw some champagne my wife likes added it and it would let me checkout, no idea why.

Dude showed up about 35 minutes later with both. 

I like the hustle. I'm to ashamed to say I've paid $100 for Blanton's a couple times.

Fucking Kroger.   Jealous as hell you can get bourbon at the damn grocery store.
Oh don't you worry, in Kentucky it's a separate building from where the groceries are. Across the river it's smack in the middle of the actual grocery store including a bar in most Krogers though, much more convenient.

3 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
8 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:
Fucking Kroger.   Jealous as hell you can get bourbon at the damn grocery store.

Oh don't you worry, in Kentucky it's a separate building from where the groceries are. Across the river it's smack in the middle of the actual grocery store including a bar in most Krogers though, much more convenient.

Pretty much the same concept as Fiesta's in Houston, just much s*****er here. Most Fiesta Beverage Marts share a wall with Fiesta Grocery Stores. 

hi, i'm henry.  long time thread follower, first time poster.

hmm, where do i start?  a little about myself.  i stopped drinking bourbon as a mixer about 3-4 years ago, and started getting into buying new shit and trying a lot of different brands almost a year ago.  i started bugging @huge for suggestions about 9 months ago, and started getting into the excessive collecting side when the pandemic started.

i work from home.  and my wife used to not work from home, but in march, she started working from home.  some say that's why my bourbon buying increased.  i say that's why my bourbon buying increased.  also i got a nice bourbon cabinet as a wedding present a couple years ago, and i used to have a few bottles in there, with some other non-bourbon options.  now i have it completely full, bourbon only, with a few bottles on the floor.  space has become an issue.

also my drinking problem needs to catch up to my purchasing problem.  i'm aware of the issue, and admitting it is the first step.

the other issue, for me, is buying bourbon in southern california.  here you can buy bourbon at grocery stores, trader joe's, cvs, wherever.  but other than bevmo, there really aren't liquor store chains.  just mom and pop corner stores, where you might be able to find a bottle of blanton's, for $199.  so there aren't really spots i can waltz into and get lucky and find something on the shelf at its low, intended srp.  and i'm not sure which places here have "store picks", other than a total wine that's 35 min away.  also since march, i haven't really been in stores at all.

i'm curious now, when the smoke clears, to wander into some of these shops and see what's what.  i have an 'in' at a high end wine shop chain out here, and he hooks me up pretty good, so i get retail pricing (+10% off friends and fam discount) so i've been able to build out the collection that way.

i've been perusing the thread, always on the lookout for new ideas and things to try.  i've also been drinking some of the shittier stuff to make room for the better stuff.  which is kinda counterintuitive but i'm doing it anyway.

on our weekly brown liquor happy hour zoom last night, i tried the wt rare breed barrel proof (116.8) and was pleasantly surprised, as i hadn't tried a wt product in about 25 years.  was pretty smooth for a 110+ i thought.  some of the higher proofs make you work for it (i'm looking at you, bulleit bp 125.4).

i'll probably re-up soon with my wine guy, so as always, i'm open to suggestions.  my favorite new (to me) bottles since march are probably the russell's single barrel (yes, i know that's wt adjacent), weller 107 (i had never had weller before, and picked the worst possible time to start liking it), and of 1910.  haven't really hated anything, but i've found that i'm more of a wheated guy than a rye guy.

here's what we're working with...

111662442_image0(1).thumb.jpeg.7def72661c94e99d8ae131bf32471796.jpeg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I love Elmer T Lee

me too.  and when i originally got it, it was ~$45.  but now it's hard to find, which leaves me not wanting to drink it, because it'll be tough (or expensive) to replace.  same with the weller antique.  such a weird phenomenon.

hmm, where do i start?  a little about myself.  i stopped drinking bourbon as a mixer about 3-4 years ago, and started getting into buying new shit and trying a lot of different brands almost a year ago.  i started bugging@huge for suggestions about 9 months ago, and started getting into the excessive collecting side when the pandemic started.
i work from home.  and my wife used to not work from home, but in march, she started working from home.  some say that's why my bourbon buying increased.  i say that's why my bourbon buying increased.  also i got a nice bourbon cabinet as a wedding present a couple years ago, and i used to have a few bottles in there, with some other non-bourbon options.  now i have it completely full, bourbon only, with a few bottles on the floor.  space has become an issue.
also my drinking problem needs to catch up to my purchasing problem.  i'm aware of the issue, and admitting it is the first step.
the other issue, for me, is buying bourbon in southern california.  here you can buy bourbon at grocery stores, trader joe's, cvs, wherever.  but other than bevmo, there really aren't liquor store chains.  just mom and pop corner stores, where you might be able to find a bottle of blanton's, for $199.  so there aren't really spots i can waltz into and get lucky and find something on the shelf at its low, intended srp.  and i'm not sure which places here have "store picks", other than a total wine that's 35 min away.  also since march, i haven't really been in stores at all.
i'm curious now, when the smoke clears, to wander into some of these shops and see what's what.  i have an 'in' at a high end wine shop chain out here, and he hooks me up pretty good, so i get retail pricing (+10% off friends and fam discount) so i've been able to build out the collection that way.
i've been perusing the thread, always on the lookout for new ideas and things to try.  i've also been drinking some of the shittier stuff to make room for the better stuff.  which is kinda counterintuitive but i'm doing it anyway.
on our weekly brown liquor happy hour zoom last night, i tried the wt rare breed barrel proof (116.8) and was pleasantly surprised, as i hadn't tried a wt product in about 25 years.  was pretty smooth for a 110+ i thought.  some of the higher proofs make you work for it (i'm looking at you, bulleit bp 125.4).
i'll probably re-up soon with my wine guy, so as always, i'm open to suggestions.  my favorite new (to me) bottles since march are probably the russell's single barrel (yes, i know that's wt adjacent), weller 107 (i had never had weller before, and picked the worst possible time to start liking it), and of 1910.  haven't really hated anything, but i've found that i'm more of a wheated guy than a rye guy.
Solid selection, love the nikka coffee grain
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Smax said:
1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:
hmm, where do i start?  a little about myself.  i stopped drinking bourbon as a mixer about 3-4 years ago, and started getting into buying new shit and trying a lot of different brands almost a year ago.  i started bugging@huge for suggestions about 9 months ago, and started getting into the excessive collecting side when the pandemic started.

Read more  

Solid selection, love the nikka coffee grain

yeah, i became obsessed with it about a year ago, and have replaced the bottle several times.  it's probably the only "non-bourbon" whiskey in the cabinet.

if it's brown, drink it down (if it's black, send it back).

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

hmm, where do i start?  a little about myself.  i stopped drinking bourbon as a mixer about 3-4 years ago, and started getting into buying new shit and trying a lot of different brands almost a year ago.  i started bugging @huge for suggestions about 9 months ago, and started getting into the excessive collecting side when the pandemic started.

I was out your way about a year ago and walked to the neighborhood liquor store to pick something up to tide me over for the few days we were there.   La Cienega/Olympic area.  I think the store was actually on Wilshire.  Ho-lee fuck.  A bottle of Makers was like $75.  Do you guys just tax the fuck out of it out there, or did I just randomly walk into the most expensive liquor store in the country?

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe Washington state has the highest liquor taxes in the country. Somewhere between 13.7% to 20%. Just insane. Greater Seattle is beautiful country, but that would be a tough cross to bear. 

I'd just up the weed to bourbon ratio.  That's ridiculous..... the high tax thing, not the greater weed ratio.

26 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was out your way about a year ago and walked to the neighborhood liquor store to pick something up to tide me over for the few days we were there.   La Cienega/Olympic area.  I think the store was actually on Wilshire.  Ho-lee fuck.  A bottle of Makers was like $75.  Do you guys just tax the fuck out of it out there, or did I just randomly walk into the most expensive liquor store in the country?

if you're going to buy something like makers or jack, or even something like basil hayden or eagle rare, you go to the grocery store or cvs/rite-aid.  it's probably more expensive than total wine or specs, but it's fairly cheap.  any time you venture into a liquor store in a "beverly hills adjacent" neighborhood, you're rolling the dice on outrageous markups, though the makers mark seems unusual and excessive.

these days, even before covid, beer/liquor was easily available through a variety of delivery services (saucey, drizly, pinkdot, or dozens of postmates/doordash participants).  you'll find plenty of normal prices going that route.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

if you're going to buy something like makers or jack, or even something like basil hayden or eagle rare, you go to the grocery store or cvs/rite-aid.  it's probably more expensive than total wine or specs, but it's fairly cheap.  any time you venture into a liquor store in a "beverly hills adjacent" neighborhood, you're rolling the dice on outrageous markups, though the makers mark seems unusual and excessive.

these days, even before covid, beer/liquor was easily available through a variety of delivery services (saucey, drizly, pinkdot, or dozens of postmates/doordash participants).  you'll find plenty of normal prices going that route.

There was not a lot of thought put into it.  I was carless for an hour or two, felt like going for a walk, and needed a bottle of bourbon.  Opened google maps, typed in liquor, and went to the nearest place.  I think I ended up with a bottle of Larceny for something like $45.  I’m so accustomed to living in Texas that I never think about going to a grocery store when I’m out of state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

me too.  and when i originally got it, it was ~$45.  but now it's hard to find, which leaves me not wanting to drink it, because it'll be tough (or expensive) to replace.  same with the weller antique.  such a weird phenomenon.

Add McKenna BiB and Weller 12 to that list of bourbons that used to be decently priced and readily available but are neither anymore . . . at least in my neck of the woods.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Add McKenna BiB and Weller 12 to that list of bourbons that used to be decently priced and readily available but are neither anymore . . . at least in my neck of the woods.

i can't even buy w12 at a premium here.  i think one place in the valley has it for $200 or so.  blanton's is the same way, but luckily my wine hookup got me two bottles at msrp.

i was shocked when huge and others in tx told me that eagle rare had become somewhat scarce.  i can order that from pavillions (my neighborhood grocery) on instacart for $35.  in fact, i had a bottle gathering dust in my cabinet up until a few weeks ago when i polished it off.  i'm looking forward to being able to go back in stores so i can experience a little more of the collecting aspect of this whole thing.  brings back baseball card memories. 

donruss and fleer and shit.

On 7/9/2020 at 8:01 AM, Bert Orange said:

For those preferring W12 to Antique, there was a time pre-BT where it was made at Bernheim (circa 2000-2004) and had cherry cola on the palate. Quite amazing stuff. Obviously it was 7 year high proof stitzel-Weller before that. Doesn’t suck. 

5F239409-F191-4622-BED8-E74AC4D95C3D.jpeg

That is a fucking cool looking bottle.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

This is the store, don’t go there, they expensive af.

DC2CEE26-28FF-47F3-AF36-5CAA3AE89CDA.jpeg

37 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i can't even buy w12 at a premium here.  i think one place in the valley has it for $200 or so.  blanton's is the same way, but luckily my wine hookup got me two bottles at msrp.

i was shocked when huge and others in tx told me that eagle rare had become somewhat scarce.  i can order that from pavillions (my neighborhood grocery) on instacart for $35.  in fact, i had a bottle gathering dust in my cabinet up until a few weeks ago when i polished it off.  i'm looking forward to being able to go back in stores so i can experience a little more of the collecting aspect of this whole thing.  brings back baseball card memories. 

donruss and fleer and shit.

Yep, ER is plentiful out here in SoCal.  The TX posters react to that news the same way I react to posts that mention picking up Weller Antique or McKenna BiB for $30-40.  Grrrrrrrrrr . . . 

53 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

those white street signs will cost ya.  later you'll have to tell us about the $40 turkey and swiss you bought.

(it's technically bh because it's west of san vicente, but it's about 80 yards from la)

The 80 yards I walked north to pay more money?  😬

40 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Makers Mark Private Select is such a treat. I hope this abundant supply last forever 

This. MMPS is the light in the wilderness right now with old MGP getting harder to find. Probably the best wheater on the shelf right now, and it’s not even close. 

I’ll be loading up on Dollar Days. $50 is the sweet spot for me.

• Like 1

I received  a call this morning from my day trader/professional bourbon hunter friend. I picked up thinking this should be good. What I heard surprised me. A Bulleit Single Barrel Houston Bourbon Society Store Pick release at 6 Houston area stores. Rice Liquor sold out before 11 am. 

I don’t get it. At best it’s slightly better than Four Roses SiB with 4 extra proof points for an extra $20-25. There’s cases of Total Wine picks sitting on the shelf right now. 

So I have a question that doesn't really fit in this thread, but kind of fits in this thread. Sometimes I enjoy a pour of Bailey's mixed with whiskey. Why does it curdle with bourbon, but doesn't with Irish whiskey? Is one more acidic I guess? I've tried multiple different bourbons and it's always the same.

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

So I have a question that doesn't really fit in this thread, but kind of fits in this thread. Sometimes I enjoy a pour of Bailey's mixed with whiskey. Why does it curdle with bourbon, but doesn't with Irish whiskey? Is one more acidic I guess? I've tried multiple different bourbons and it's always the same.

That sounds right. Buffalo Trace makes a bourbon cream liquor that is available fairly regularly (at Spec’s at least). I’ve never had it, but I assume it’s pretty similar to Bailey’s. 

Because you touch yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1