Bourbon

Jimbaround

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Score at retail today at Goody Goody.
Fuck yes.
97e7b637471b6aef07b2d884e8620f30.jpg

That’s a Blanton’s box behind the Woodford Reserve. Holy moly, that’s the best glass case I’ve ever seen. 

If that happened here, some Houston Bourbon Society member with a man bun would post it on Instagram and it’d be gone in under 30 minutes. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That’s a Blanton’s box behind the Woodford Reserve. Holy moly, that’s the best glass case I’ve ever seen. 

If that happened here, some Houston Bourbon Society member with a man bun would post it on Instagram and it’d be gone in under 30 minutes. 

LOL.  that's my shelf at home.    There were posts here in the local DFW clubs that a few Goody's got the FP but were all gone in about that time.  And within 20 minutes, several on local secondary sites being flipped for 275.  Goddamn flippers.  
I've been wanting a FP for 2 years now and refused to pay secondary.  I am going to enjoy every damn drop for 50 bucks.

Edited by BigDHornfan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

LOL.  that's my shelf at home.    There were posts here in the local DFW clubs that a few Goody's got the FP but were all gone in about that time.  And within 20 minutes, several on local secondary sites being flipped for 275.  Goddamn flippers.  
I've been wanting a FP for 2 years now and refused to pay secondary.  I am going to enjoy every damn drop for 50 bucks.

I should have known. Good for you. I'd say Full Proof is at best a $75-100 bourbon. It's not worth secondary.

I'm not sure what goes into the barrel selection process, but as a bourbon fan without a financial stake in the game, I wish Buffalo Trace would focus on making more Weller 12 and discontinue the special Weller offerings. If they want to do special releases every 5-10 years, fine have at it, but please make more Weller 12. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

Great thread!

About 6 months ago I started lurking here when I started drinking bourbon more.  I knew next to nothing and have been using this thread as a guide.  I’ll keep lurking to figure out what to get next.  Maybe a Texas bourbon or something I haven’t tried yet (OF, EC, 4R, .........).  

Thanks everyone!  Here is what I have on my shelf right now.

6FFEDB3E-09F3-44AC-8181-862E65CAF989.jpeg

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Druggist said:

Great thread!

About 6 months ago I started lurking here when I started drinking bourbon more.  I knew next to nothing and have been using this thread as a guide.  I’ll keep lurking to figure out what to get next.  Maybe a Texas bourbon or something I haven’t tried yet (OF, EC, 4R, .........).  

Nice starter's kit. All those are pretty good. I'd suggest a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel/Store Pick for your next bottle. 

• Like 2

... and I say this with love ... fuck you. Goddammit, a FP and Ant, on the goddamned shelf?

Just the FP. Already had the OWA, it wasn’t on the shelf, I got a text from the store manager, I’ve stressed in the past on here several times, get a good relationship built with a good store manager and shit like this happens. Normally not the FP, as this was the first time Goody Goody had gotten it to my knowledge.
More times than not, I’m one of the first people he calls when something drops.
It’s taken a long time, but it’s been worth the work.
  • Like 1

Found a Col. Taylor Rye today at retail. I’ll buy every EHT I can find at retail. Passed on Blood Oath Ch 6 because I’ve figured out I don’t really like cask finished juice and fuck paying $120 for that. And grabbed an Uncle Nearest 1856 because that’s great stuff and will soon be unobtainable just because they won an award.

7 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Found a Col. Taylor Rye today at retail. I’ll buy every EHT I can find at retail. Passed on Blood Oath Ch 6 because I’ve figured out I don’t really like cask finished juice and fuck paying $120 for that. And grabbed an Uncle Nearest 1856 because that’s great stuff and will soon be unobtainable just because they won an award.

Yeah EHT Rye and Single Barrel are automatic buys for me. 

I’m not a fan of the one per customer on EHT Rye. I‘ll go without it for months a time. One of my favorite ryes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nice starter's kit. All those are pretty good. I'd suggest a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel/Store Pick for your next bottle. 

Also may be time to step up to barrel proof. On the likely to find list would be 1792 Full Proof, 4 Roses Small Batch Select, a Makers private select or Bookers (but that may be a pretty big step). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, brown water said:

Also may be time to step up to barrel proof. On the likely to find list would be 1792 Full Proof, 4 Roses Small Batch Select, a Makers private select or Bookers (but that may be a pretty big step). 

I’d suggest Old Granddad114 as well. It’s pretty inexpensive. If you like OGD 114, you should like Booker’s. 

I honestly don’t remember what Booker’s Batch was my first bottle. It wasn’t for me at that time. It was super hot and medicinal. I’m glad I gave it another try, but it’s acquired taste. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Druggist said:

Great thread!

Nice start!  Like others said, get a Russell's Single Barrel ( Store pick if you can) and also look for the Woodinville Port Finish.  It's fantastic.

• Like 2

I’m trying Woodinville for the first time tonight. Interesting process. I believe they distill it in Seattle and then truck it out to Eastern Washington for barreling/aging. 

I don’t think tank dumping is a bad thing, but some of the bourbon snobs take great offense to it. I mean it happens, what are they supposed to do? Buffalo Trace famously tank dumped some of the recent batches of Sazerac 18 and people still bought it. 

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m trying Woodinville for the first time tonight. Interesting process. I believe they distill it in Seattle and then truck it out to Eastern Washington for barreling/aging. 

I don’t think tank dumping is a bad thing, but some of the bourbon snobs take great offense to it. I mean it happens, what are they supposed to do? Buffalo Trace famously tank dumped some of the recent batches of Sazerac 18 and people still bought it. 

Edit: Looks like Woodinville distills in Quincy Washington and then barrels/ages in Central Washington. 

The early returns are pretty good. 

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

And the lauded VW rye too

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wild Turkey guys what's the better rye Rare Breed or Russell's Reserve Single Barrel? 

Rare Breed Rye is damned good. 

If you can find a Russell’s store pick, go with that one. Rare Breed is better than the regular Russell’s SiB (which is still really great). 

Total Wine and Spec’s have the Russell’s store picks pretty regularly. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

If you can find a Russell’s store pick, go with that one. Rare Breed is better than the regular Russell’s SiB (which is still really great). 

Total Wine and Spec’s have the Russell’s store picks pretty regularly. 

I figured as much. For a guy that doesn't like ryes, Jimmy Russell sure as hell knows how make a good one. 

I don't want to fire shots at @BigDHornfan, but I think Goody Goody prices their ryes poorly. At least $7-10 more than Spec's. 

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I figured as much. For a guy that doesn't like ryes, Jimmy Russell sure as hell knows how make a good one. 

I don't want to fire shots at @BigDHornfan, but I think Goody Goody prices their ryes poorly. At least $7-10 more than Spec's. 

I found a Rare Breed rye at TW earlier this week, but haven’t cracked it open yet.  I still have an OF rye and Michter’s rye (the regular one) to get through first. 

14 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I almost picked up the Rare Breed Rye. Still never had any Russel's Reserve. Guess I need to add it to the list.

Had it tonight with Cornerstone. It’s in the same ballpark for way less money and is definitely worth the money. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Had it tonight with Cornerstone. It’s in the same ballpark for way less money and is definitely worth the money. 

This was my biggest fear when I pulled the trigger on Cornerstone. I'm glad I got it for about $25 off. 

I was alternating bourbon and rye every weekend, but I really don't see the point. Rye American Whiskey is such a small segment of the market. I could never drink a rye every other week that was up to snuff with my bourbon collection. I'm thinking 85 : 15 is about the right right ratio for bourbon to rye in your collection. 

1 minute ago, ISUCyclones said:
4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Cookie Monster gif. Me waiting for Old Tub in Houston. 

Old tub is everywhere here, I guess I should pick one up at some point

There's a limited release out "nationwide". A 750 mL for $20 - 23. It'll probably be a Beam Peanut Bomb, but worth the risk at that price. 

Allegedly it was Booker Noe's daily drinker. 

There's a limited release out "nationwide". A 750 mL for $20 - 23. It'll probably be a Beam Peanut Bomb, but worth the risk at that price. 
I have friends that picked up a bunch at 19.99 right when it hit shelves last month, they've all pretty much said it's terrible though and flipped or tried to flip the rest haha. Totally agree it's worth a gamble at 20 bucks though and I'm sure I will too

1 minute ago, ISUCyclones said:
6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I have friends that picked up a bunch at 19.99 right when it hit shelves last month, they've all pretty much said it's terrible though and flipped or tried to flip the rest haha. Totally agree it's worth a gamble at 20 bucks though and I'm sure I will too

The new Jim Beam Single Barrel should be pretty similar and it was awful. I finished a pour and put on the cocktail shelf. But sure, there's an off chance I catch a good one and enjoy it.

The new Jim Beam Single Barrel should be pretty similar and it was awful. I finished a pour and put on the cocktail shelf. But sure, there's an off chance I catch a good one and enjoy it.
It's pretty rare anyone comes out with a new bourbon priced like that so I give props for that alone.

10 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's pretty rare anyone comes out with a new bourbon priced like that so I give props for that alone.

Jim Beam stubbornly pushes the boiled peanuts stuff on everybody while they can make masterpieces in Knob Creek SiB store picks, Knob Creek 25, Little Book Chapter 3, and Booker's Kentucky Chew. Bring back Distiller's Cut and make white and black label Jim Beam. I'm drawing the line in the sand with Old Tub. That's it. If it's not good, I'm done with any label with Jim Beam on it. 

20 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse Select and Old Tub are bad, they'd be the back breaker for me. But even then there's the Jim Beam Signature Collection which everybody loved. Again greatness is there, but they push boiled peanut bombs on everybody because? 

Jim Beam stubbornly pushes the boiled peanuts stuff on everybody while they can make masterpieces in Knob Creek SiB store picks, Knob Creek 25, Little Book Chapter 3, and Booker's Kentucky Chew. Bring back Distiller's Cut and make white and black label Jim Beam. I'm drawing the line in the sand with Old Tub. That's it. If it's not good, I'm done with any label with Jim Beam on it. 
Here's to hoping my man, I would love another daily drinker at 20 bucks