Bourbon

Jimbaround

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This was my biggest fear when I pulled the trigger on Cornerstone. I'm glad I got it for about $25 off. 

I was alternating bourbon and rye every weekend, but I really don't see the point. Rye American Whiskey is such a small segment of the market. I could never drink a rye every other week that was up to snuff with my bourbon collection. I'm thinking 85 : 15 is about the right right ratio for bourbon to rye in your collection. 

I don’t try to maintain any kind of ratio, but I have 96 bottles open and 13 are rye. If they’re not exceptional sippers then they can be relegated to cocktail service. 

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What's everybody drinking this evening to wash away the Brockermeyer Blues? 

Weller SR.  I’m still New new to this stuff.  Passed on getting a 1.75 liter bottle of Buffalo Trace for $45.  Is that really, really dumb?  Or is that the going price?

Edited by stork642

Bought Garrison Bros Single Barrel for $98 to share with cousin hosting us in CO.

Good choice or did I fuck up?  Wanted to get something uniquely Texas, as he was born in Amarillo...

I figured as much. For a guy that doesn't like ryes, Jimmy Russell sure as hell knows how make a good one. 
I don't want to fire shots at [mention=290]BigDHornfan[/mention], but I think Goody Goody prices their ryes poorly. At least $7-10 more than Spec's. 

Oh they definitely have higher prices on some bottles than Spec’s.
But I will pay more to not have to deal with the complete dishonesty and lying that my local Spec’s dishes out all the time.

Goody will price match if you bring it up to them and show them Spec’s pricing. At least mine does.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

PSA if you are looking for HH BiB around Austin the new TW in Bee Caves has a healthy supply. They’ve got some other harder to find bottles as well, looks like they were well stocked for their opening.

Scored a bottle the other day.  Looking forward to trying it.

Edit: Looks like Woodinville distills in Quincy Washington and then barrels/ages in Central Washington. 

The early returns are pretty good. 

Glad you’re enjoying - My second bottle wasn’t as good as the first, but I have two more so we’ll see what shakes.

8 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Really enjoying a Redemption wheated. Taste is good. Smell is phenomenal.

This is the underrated bourbon of the year. So far 4/5 people I’ve made try this blind prefer it to OWA even if it’s an NCF pick.  That MGP wheated mash bill is going to be crazy at 7-8 years.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

High West is discontinuing Yippee Ki Yay. I can’t say I’ll miss it, but I am sad to see a unique rye leave the market. I bought one bottle, and that was enough. 

If you’re a High West fan, I know that Debs Liquors has a store pick of Double Rye coming in the next 2-3 weeks. It’s finished in Syrah barrels. 

I’ve never had their ryes before, but some reviewers I really trust swear by the High West store picks, so I’ll be picking this one up when it comes out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

If you’re a High West fan, I know that Debs Liquors has a store pick of Double Rye coming in the next 2-3 weeks. It’s finished in Syrah barrels. 

I’ve never had their ryes before, but some reviewers I really trust swear by the High West store picks, so I’ll be picking this one up when it comes out. 

I’ve been looking for store pick of Prairie Bourbon. I’ve only seen it once at NASA Liquor. I might pick up a half bottle to see if I like the flavor profile. 

Regarding the ryes, I appreciate the recommendation, but  I’ll wait out Midwinter. I usually don’t like finished anything. 

Well I’m torn. Really like High West Double Rye but not a huge fan of barrel finishes.

35 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Well I’m torn. Really like High West Double Rye but not a huge fan of barrel finishes.

I think the good thing is that I bet the price point won’t be too high. Double Rye is usually $30-$40 bucks, so I bet a store pick wouldn’t be more than $50 (just a guess). 

13 hours ago, USCATX said:

This is the underrated bourbon of the year. So far 4/5 people I’ve made try this blind prefer it to OWA even if it’s an NCF pick.  That MGP wheated mash bill is going to be crazy at 7-8 years.  

Might have to give it a shot.  Saw it recently at a nearby store, but did not pull the trigger.

Really enjoying a Redemption wheated. Taste is good. Smell is phenomenal.

Just passed on that at my Total Wine over the weekend because the bourbon aisle guy was pushing it and he’s often full of shit. Dammit.

They also had a bunch of Mckenna too so that may be dropping.

What does store pick mean?   Sorry for the dumb questions.  

Didn’t see anyone answer you: often stores will be allowed to sample a few barrels or batches and pick one, and then the maker bottles up a bunch from that one barrel/batch, throws a special sticker on it, and sends it to that store. If the bourbon guys at said store know what they are doing (or have similar tastes to yours) you can get something special.
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 9:52 PM, slorch said:

Bought Garrison Bros Single Barrel for $98 to share with cousin hosting us in CO.

Good choice or did I fuck up?  Wanted to get something uniquely Texas, as he was born in Amarillo...

great bottle.  you did not fuck up.  it will say on the bottle what corn he used but i've seen it say it came from amarillo before.  your cuz might get a special kick out of that.

39 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

great bottle.  you did not fuck up.  it will say on the bottle what corn he used but i've seen it say it came from amarillo before.  your cuz might get a special kick out of that.

yeah it is from Dallam County, so I told my cousins in CO it was sourced as close to the Rocky Mountain State as we could get while still maintaining a standard of excellence. 

I liked it, as it is definitely a deeper, more complex flavor that I have had in the past.  Loved how it changed as I sipped it and held it for a few moments and then down the chute. I prefer bourbon on the rocks with nothing else.  Last night they were also making old-fashioneds, but I talked them out of using that bottle for those.

I'm a long time lurker on the thread, and I appreciate the response.   I see more nicer bourbons in my future.

22 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Vanilla smell. Also butterscotch.

Taste is hazelnut. Finish of black pepper.

Definitely strong on the standard bourbon flavors, especially the vanilla and caramel.  In general it has more oak than OWA and less corn taste than Makers.  

On 7/18/2020 at 8:29 PM, Neonmoon said:

George Remus Repeal Reserve much better value 

I had to try this out after you said it because I frequently recommend Repeal Reserve when somebody wants an expensive yet readily available bottle.  Volstead beats Repeal easily and it’s not even really close.  Twice as good is always a tough claim to make, but it’s absolutely better.  I’m not really aware of anything that’s better than 14 yr, 100 proof MGP for less money.  

74841B89-9330-44ED-9BC9-06ADE0FA34E9.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I had to try this out after you said it because I frequently recommend Repeal Reserve when somebody wants an expensive yet readily available bottle.  Volstead beats Repeal easily and it’s not even really close.  Twice as good is always a tough claim to make, but it’s absolutely better.  I’m not really aware of anything that’s better than 14 yr, 100 proof MGP for less money.  

74841B89-9330-44ED-9BC9-06ADE0FA34E9.jpeg

What would you compare Volstead to? Same mashbill as Boone County 14, but it’s 7 proof points lower. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What would you compare Volstead to? Same mashbill as Boone County 14, but it’s 7 proof points lower. 

I have a ton of love for Boone County 12 90 proof but I haven’t had a store pick 14.  It reminds me most of ‘18/‘19 ER17 101.  MGP doesn’t really taste like most Kentucky bourbon so I’m not really sure what to say.  

• Like 1