Bourbon

Jimbaround

All the Woodinville talk made me thirsty.
Finishing this Single Barrel cask strength store pick tonight.
Mmmmm!
e543c25f35ae903ec6bc46677a08f5da.jpg

BigD I’m enjoying the cigar pairings with the bourbon. There needs to be a cigar thread on here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe Uncle Nearest could be good. Gentleman Jack is 5 years old, 90 proof and pretty good stuff. Nearest is a blend of 8-14 year old barrels and 100 proof

I don't think my pallet is very sophisticated.  I bought a bottle of uncle remus 6 months to a year ago and killed it with my brothers over canasta and cigars.  it was good, but maybe not $55 good. 

I don't taste the charcoal in it, or the maple, and don't taste it in jack or the charcoal or mesquite in longbranch either.

1 hour ago, ousuxndallas said:

Picked up a bottle of Knob Creek 14 year old Longhorn. Really like it, went back and bought 3 more bottles. 9f85f998297ccbd76d1d941701d3955d.jpg

I picked up a store pick the other day of that, but it was barreled in '06.  yours is older.  looks like a worthy bottle to add to the collection.

21 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I don't think my pallet is very sophisticated.  I bought a bottle of uncle remus 6 months to a year ago and killed it with my brothers over canasta and cigars.  it was good, but maybe not $55 good. 

I don't taste the charcoal in it, or the maple, and don't taste it in jack or the charcoal or mesquite in longbranch either.

I think the Lincoln County Process is over vilified. If I had some skin in the game at a distillery, I wouldn’t do it, but Jack does it correctly. Dickel doesn’t. 

Heaven Hill also does it well. Evan Williams BiB, and Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength are both charcoal filtered. 

I think might Jack do it because of tradition, and their stubborn instance that they’re not bourbon, but “Tennessee Whiskey”. But others do it as a short cut to aging in the barrel. 

35 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m toasting “Opening Day” with some newly acquired Weller 12. 

hadn't been out and about in a few months to look at bourbon, but went yesterday.  made 3 stops.  zero purchases.  saw weller 12 for $299.

this is what i'm dealing with.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

hadn't been out and about in a few months to look at bourbon, but went yesterday.  made 3 stops.  zero purchases.  saw weller 12 for $299.

this is what i'm dealing with.

It’s too long of a story for this message board to go into how I acquired this latest bottle of W12. 1) I paid I well over MSRP. 2) There was a catch. 3) I had to drive to go get it. 

Just an all around pain in my ass. 

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s too long of a story for this message board to go into how I acquired this latest bottle of W12. 1) I paid I well over MSRP. 2) There was a catch. 3) I had to drive to go get it. 

Just an all around pain in my ass. 

There was a catch ?  Was your anus involved ?  You did say pain in the ass.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Meh. I paid $119 for Weller 12 recently. Yes it was way overpriced. Yes I also bought great affordable ER10 and 1910 in the same purchase, but I like W12 sooo sometimes you just have to get fucked with a smile. 

Buffalo Trace is allegedly trying to root out and stop liquor store mark ups. Yeah, f***ing right. 

But I’m right there. I’d just at/under $100 for a W12 750mL, $150 for a liter, and $200 for a 1.75 mL.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:40 AM, huge said:

Also someone remind me which Master's Keep are worth buying?

Overall Ranking:

1. 17 BiB

2.  Decades

3.  Cornerstone

4.  Revival 

Value Rating:

1.  Decades

2.  17 BiB

3.  Revival

4.  Cornerstone

All worth picking up at retail in my opinion. Cornerstone is probably the most iffy of the bunch, but still significantly better than the new Rare Breed Rye.  Revival is as good as some of the other finished bourbons that fly off the shelves and can routinely be found for $129.  

Edited by USCATX

1 hour ago, USCATX said:

Overall Ranking:

1. 17 BiB

2.  Decades

3.  Cornerstone

4.  Revival 

Value Rating:

1.  Decades

2.  17 BiB

3.  Revival

4.  Cornerstone

All worth picking up at retail in my opinion. Cornerstone is probably the most iffy of the bunch, but still significantly better than the new Rare Breed Rye.  Revival is as good as some of the other finished bourbons that fly off the shelves and can routinely be found for $129.  

Did you pick a smoke note on 17 BiB? This is kind of concerning in some of the reviews I’ve read. 

Agreed on Cornerstone Rye. It was terrific and better than Rare Breed Rye.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:50 PM, ousuxndallas said:

Picked up a bottle of Knob Creek 14 year old Longhorn. Really like it, went back and bought 3 more bottles. 9f85f998297ccbd76d1d941701d3955d.jpg

Longhorn Steakhouse is sourcing barrels?  What’s next, Applebee’s Single Barrel?

If a 500-location chain restaurant is putting it’s name on bourbon, I’m skipping that one.

Went back for another birthday present and while O was there picked up the Redemption Wheated. I’ve only had a little pour but I think I like it.

I drank a ton of good tequila on Saturday night, and while I didn’t feel great this morning I would have felt worse if it had been bourbon. I may switch to good silver tequilas on the go-hard nights.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Longhorn Steakhouse is sourcing barrels?  What’s next, Applebee’s Single Barrel?

If a 500-location chain restaurant is putting it’s name on bourbon, I’m skipping that one.

The Longhorn Steakhouse picks are pretty popular around the country. It’s hard to imagine 14 year old, 120 proof Knob Creek not being good. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Longhorn Steakhouse picks are pretty popular around the country. It’s hard to imagine 14 year old, 120 proof Knob Creek not being good. 

I’m sure it tastes fine.  My comment intended to note that if we’re at the point where barrel select is now being used by Longhorn Steakhouse, it’s not that “select.”  Longhorn = Darden, the purveyors of Olive Garden and Cheddar’s.  Granted, they also own Capital Grille and Eddie V’s.  I’d expect barrel select from the latter two, but will still raise an eyebrow at the Longhorn select.

14 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I’m sure it tastes fine.  My comment intended to note that if we’re at the point where barrel select is now being used by Longhorn Steakhouse, it’s not that “select.”  Longhorn = Darden, the purveyors of Olive Garden and Cheddar’s.  Granted, they also own Capital Grille and Eddie V’s.  I’d expect barrel select from the latter two, but will still raise an eyebrow at the Longhorn select.

Any retailer can “select” a barrel if they pay for it. It was never an exclusive club.

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Any retailer can “select” a barrel if they pay for it. It was never an exclusive club.

Well, that’s the point.  The idea of ‘barrel select” has gone from a place working with a distiller on a specific single barrel product (which still exists at some places) to producing “select” for stocking 491 Longhorn Steakhouses (or insert any other mass retailer here).  It’s no longer “select,” it’s just more large production bourbon.  Doesn’t mean it’s not good, it’s just not unique.

On 7/25/2020 at 7:30 AM, ousuxndallas said:
On 7/24/2020 at 6:09 PM, billfromlaketravis said:
Chain or local store?

Local

Did you get both dates?.. I prefer the 14.5 year old from Longhorn Steakhouse put in the barrel on 6/13. 

Local store had both.. or did. 

Edited by msudawg

On 7/26/2020 at 9:11 PM, AustinMT said:

Your lose. I usually don't care for normal KC.. but loving both dates of the longhorn pick and 14 / 14.5 year year juice for that price is killer. 

9 hours ago, huge said:

These days I’ll settle for good

Unique is way too much of a hassle

c'mon, you don't enjoy hunting unicorns?

waiting in line for overpriced products that end up having a negligible difference in taste/ quality doesn't appeal to you?

I have 2 bottles of each.  I need to run a Pepsi challenge on them blind.

That actually would be interesting. I’ve done blind tastings and it’s amazing how the label affects our taste. I have been unable to tell Weller SR from Weller 12 in a blind tasting. I’m convinced that a lot of Weller SR is being sold on the secondary market in a Weller 12 bottle. I’m sure someone has figured out how to reseal the bottles. I hardly ever see Weller SR at Spec’s. Last week the guy just laughed when I asked if he had any Weller SR in stock.

58 minutes ago, HouTex said:

That actually would be interesting. I’ve done blind tastings and it’s amazing how the label affects our taste. I have been unable to tell Weller SR from Weller 12 in a blind tasting. I’m convinced that a lot of Weller SR is being sold on the secondary market in a Weller 12 bottle. I’m sure someone has figured out how to reseal the bottles. I hardly ever see Weller SR at Spec’s. Last week the guy just laughed when I asked if he had any Weller SR in stock.

Weller SR is usually on the shelf in Houston. If it ever goes on allocation, I f***ing give up. I think it has some unique charm in the Weller line up. It drinks a lot hot for its proof. Some would call it a flaw, but I like it. 

• Like 1

Weller SR is usually on the shelf in Houston. If it ever goes on allocation, I f***ing give up. I think it has some unique charm in the Weller line up. It drinks a lot hot for its proof. Some would call it a flaw, but I like it. 

I’ve seen it at GG lately but not at Spec’s downtown.

21 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Well, that’s the point.  The idea of ‘barrel select” has gone from a place working with a distiller on a specific single barrel product (which still exists at some places) to producing “select” for stocking 491 Longhorn Steakhouses (or insert any other mass retailer here).  It’s no longer “select,” it’s just more large production bourbon.  Doesn’t mean it’s not good, it’s just not unique.

You dont think that someone in the LS Corp chain went through the process to select a "specific" product? Obviously they had to select several barrels (2 or more) to support their need, (at aprox. 170 bottles per barrel) but with their financial clout, they more than likely chose from 10 or more cherry barrels. TW did this a couple years ago with fine results, as have other larger companies.

I could care less if they called its Jane's Fuzzy Butt Plug on the label,  if it has that amazing juice in the bottle...

Does anyone know if Total Wine will order a specific bottle of bourbon for you if you request one?  I’ve been looking for Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend and it shows they carry it at my store in SA, but it’s out of stock.

Just curious if anyone has done this before. 

6 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

You dont think that someone in the LS Corp chain went through the process to select a "specific" product? Obviously they had to select several barrels (2 or more) to support their need, (at aprox. 170 bottles per barrel) but with their financial clout, they more than likely chose from 10 or more cherry barrels. TW did this a couple years ago with fine results, as have other larger companies.

I could care less if they called its Jane's Fuzzy Butt Plug on the label,  if it has that amazing juice in the bottle...

One last time, then I am giving up:

1.  I am not saying it’s not good.  I have no idea.  Sounds like it might be good.

2.  What I’m saying is that it’s not very “select.” And, honestly (yes being a food snob), I don’t associate Longhorn Steakhouse with anything “select.”

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Total Wine will order a specific bottle of bourbon for you if you request one?  I’ve been looking for Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend and it shows they carry it at my store in SA, but it’s out of stock.
Just curious if anyone has done this before. 
I've got a bunch of requests for them to put in...

(no idea for a real answer)
  • Haha 1

Just now, ISUCyclones said:

I've got a bunch of requests for them to put in...

(no idea for a real answer)

My thought process on that is that with the high price point on Cigar Blend they probably don’t order too many at a time. 

It may just be a distribution thing. I’ve seen Cigar Blend all over Florida for whatever reason.  I wish our stores here focused on procuring better options than most of the local Texas shit they shill on us.