Bourbon

Jimbaround

My thought process on that is that with the high price point on Cigar Blend they probably don’t order too many at a time. 
It may just be a distribution thing. I’ve seen Cigar Blend all over Florida for whatever reason.  I wish our stores here focused on procuring better options than most of the local Texas shit they shill on us. 
Yeah it's not sitting on shelves where I am either but like you said also not the most rare thing in the world. Worst they can say is no.

4 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

My thought process on that is that with the high price point on Cigar Blend they probably don’t order too many at a time. 

It may just be a distribution thing. I’ve seen Cigar Blend all over Florida for whatever reason.  I wish our stores here focused on procuring better options than most of the local Texas shit they shill on us. 

Cigar Blend was all over TWs in Houston earlier this year

I prob drink as much Weller SR as anyone on this thread, but it’s readily available where I’m at. I’d venture to guess I go through a 1.75 every 2 weeks at a minimum as it’s my everyday drinker. We went through a spell in late June where it was harder to find but it’s back in full force now. Three of us went through an entire 1.75 on Saturday night from seal bust to empty. Sunday sucked balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, burns_312 said:

I prob drink as much Weller SR as anyone on this thread, but it’s readily available where I’m at. I’d venture to guess I go through a 1.75 every 2 weeks at a minimum as it’s my everyday drinker. We went through a spell in late June where it was harder to find but it’s back in full force now. Three of us went through an entire 1.75 on Saturday night from seal bust to empty. Sunday sucked balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bet there was some ball sucking on Saturday night, too. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I drive by it every day on the way home from downtown. For grins, I will go by this evening. I can always use another handle of Weller SR.

If my memory serves me correctly, their prices a few dollars higher than larger Spec's stores. They have a really good wine selection, given their size, if you're into that. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

If mine memory serves me correctly, their prices a few higher than larger Spec's store. They have a really good wine selection given the size if you're into that. 

Yes, I know the store fairly well. I bought W12 there last summer the day it was released. The guy behind me bought the last bottle. Lately I’ve been going more to GG on Woodway across from Second Baptist.

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

Yes, I know the store fairly well. I bought W12 there last summer the day it was released. The guy behind me bought the last bottle. Lately I’ve been going more to GG on Woodway across from Second Baptist.

Nice on W12. Mixed feelings about the GG on Woodway. If a bourbon "expert" works there, I still haven't met him. It's always 2-3 people working the registers, one guy stocking, and a manager walking around. I've been in there plenty and I only shop the bourbon/rye aisle. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nice on W12. Mixed feelings about the GG on Woodway. If a bourbon "expert" works there, I still haven't met him. It's always 2-3 people working the registers, one guy stocking, and a manager walking around. I've been in there plenty and I only shop the bourbon/rye aisle. 

That's pretty much my experience with the bourbon guys at that GG, but they are nice guys and I always ask if they have anything nice in the back.  It's been a while, but I've scored W12 there as well as W107.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:20 PM, Buzzrock said:

Went back for another birthday present and while O was there picked up the Redemption Wheated. I’ve only had a little pour but I think I like it.

I drank a ton of good tequila on Saturday night, and while I didn’t feel great this morning I would have felt worse if it had been bourbon. I may switch to good silver tequilas on the go-hard nights.

Picked up Redemption earlier today.  Wheat's are by far my favorite bourbons.  Thx for the rec.

• Like 1

Picked up Redemption earlier today.  Wheat's are by far my favorite bourbons.  Thx for the rec.

I’m on my second double pour this evening. I really like it. My buddy with the whiskey bar agrees fwiw.

Wheater fans: pick this one up. I’d put it above Makers Private easily.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Lately I like my bourbon like my guitars: cheap and pretty good and fun.

Got a Maker's Cask Strength 750ml for 39.99 today.  Hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew with the high proof, but it seemed like a good value.

Just got the last Redemption Wheated on the shelf at Twin Liquors South Lamar.  Can’t wait to try it.  

They have a bottles of OWA and Blanton’s and a 375ml of Eagle Rare at the front counter, but they are each bundled with a bottle of something random and you have to buy both to get them. The OWA was over $100 for the pair, so I didn’t bother asking about the other two. Thought someone might be interested.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Druggist said:

Just got the last Redemption Wheated on the shelf at Twin Liquors South Lamar.  Can’t wait to try it.  

They have a bottles of OWA and Blanton’s and a 375ml of Eagle Rare at the front counter, but they are each bundled with a bottle of something random and you have to buy both to get them. The OWA was over $100 for the pair, so I didn’t bother asking about the other two. Thought someone might be interested.

This unfortunately, is getting very popular at liquor stores.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This unfortunately, is getting very popular at liquor stores.

I could see this as a way to cut into the secondary market. If flippers have to take a bite out of their margins by buying a “worthless” bottle (to them), perhaps not as many will be eager to just scoop up allocated bottles. 

For example, right now OWA goes anywhere from $100-120 on secondary.  If they have to drop $100 to flip OWA to maybe make an extra $20, that’s not a great ROI. 

I wouldn’t mind spending $100 on OWA package with whatever they throw in there. At worst you’ve got an extra mixer for your bar. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I could see this as a way to cut into the secondary market. If flippers have to take a bite out of their margins by buying a “worthless” bottle (to them), perhaps not as many will be eager to just scoop up allocated bottles. 

For example, right now OWA goes anywhere from $100-120 on secondary.  If they have to drop $100 to flip OWA to maybe make an extra $20, that’s not a great ROI. 

I wouldn’t mind spending $100 on OWA package with whatever they throw in there. At worst you’ve got an extra mixer for your bar. 

Taking known flippers off their call lists would be more effective. But it’s the Wild West if Total really is going to put every allocated bottle on the shelf. 

I still don’t see the good margins for flippers unless they can get cases of BTAC at MSRP. They could make a lot more money, with a lot less effort working a job instead of flipping Antique. How broke are these assholes?

I think for most, they’re bourbon enthusiasts/hoarders under orders from their wives to clear out the pantry. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

The flippers will stay until demand subsides or distilleries raise their price. Distilleries won’t raise their price because they believe everyone should be able to afford their product, which is noble and good. It just means only people in Kentucky, or people who spend a lot of money weekly at local stores, or those that will pay secondary prices will enjoy said product. It’s possible to get a unicorn without paying a lot of money, but that’s more exception than rule. You’re either spending X amount limit at TW or Specs, or your paying secondary. But this system still gives you a chance at a MSRP bottle. It’s possible. Raising prices to actual makers value fucks everyone but the rich. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The flippers will stay until demand subsides or distilleries raise their price. Distilleries won’t raise their price because they believe everyone should be able to afford their product, which is noble and good. It just means only people in Kentucky, or people who spend a lot of money weekly at local stores, or those that will pay secondary prices will enjoy said product. It’s possible to get a unicorn without paying a lot of money, but that’s more exception than rule. You’re either spending X amount limit at TW or Specs, or your paying secondary. But this system still gives you a chance at a MSRP bottle. It’s possible. Raising prices to actual makers value fucks everyone but the rich. 

After saying I’ll never pay secondary, I paid secondary twice this year on international products. When the hell is anybody going to be traveling internationally again? I can live with it, but I’m not proud of it. 

On 7/29/2020 at 10:43 PM, huge said:

I guess OWA

(Kind of a joke)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wanted OWA to win because I’ve killed a few picks with friends as we all went on about how good it was.  But yeah, Redemption beat OWA by a hair and RC6 brought up the rear with a weird young corn note.  OWA and Blanton’s are probably my most frequently drained bottles because that’s what people want when they look at my shelf.  The hype is real. 

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

I wanted OWA to win because I’ve killed a few picks with friends as we all went on about how good it was.  But yeah, Redemption beat OWA by a hair and RC6 brought up the rear with a weird young corn note.  OWA and Blanton’s are probably my most frequently drained bottles because that’s what people want when they look at my shelf.  The hype is real. 

Redemption Wheated’s mashbill scares me a little bit. 45% wheat is on the extreme end of wheaters. 

I can’t put my finger on it, but Antique has declined the past 3 years. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Redemption Wheated’s mashbill scares me a little bit. 45% wheat is on the extreme end of wheaters. 

I can’t put my finger on it, but Antique has declined the past 3 years. 

Scares you to death I tell you. 

USCATX got me intrigued so I finished another Repeal Reserve and then opened up the 14 year. He is correct. It’s not great value. In fact I would say just buy the Repeal if you want aged MGP.

To be fair this doesn’t suck, but its not $100 better. It lasts longer on the palate and has more depth in flavor

552c0d318e9a483b7b2d522bb7a17943.jpg

What’s the consensus on bulleit 12 rye and 10 bourbon? Can’t find the redemption wheated but found those two and sorta remember Good reviews on here but couldn’t exactly recall. Thanks in advance!

They are both solid and worth owning. I think the 10 year bourbon is slightly better than the 12 year Rye, but you can’t go wrong with either.

16 minutes ago, achooloco said:

What’s the consensus on bulleit 12 rye and 10 bourbon? Can’t find the redemption wheated but found those two and sorta remember Good reviews on here but couldn’t exactly recall. Thanks in advance!

The Bourbon was sourced from 4Roses and some Barton. I know 10 year old 4Roses is delicious. The Rye is sourced from MGP which makes outstanding rye. Bulleit is owned by Diageo, but they’ve been sourcing the good stuff for decades so they have great connections obviously and good product. 

Sorry, got caught up with a bottle of Weller Single Barrel at the local haunt... honestly didn’t even know that bottle existed, so we got familiar.

Very interesting for a Weller product and perhaps the smoothest. Couldn’t quite put my finger on the front, but there’s a distinct flavor there that I don’t necessarily love, but it’s intriguing.

Anyway, the Old Tub doesn’t live up to the hype for me... very dusty up front, qualities of terpentine in the middle and finishes with fermented green apple

• Like 1