Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

But why?

Kidding...sort of

Well, if it doesn't exist, then it doesn't exist. I've bought enough Texas vodka to say I that I've tried to support liquor production in the Lone Star State even without buying any bourbon.

Edited by Woland

I want to find a Texas bourbon to mix Manhattans and sours...trying to get some Texas product on my shelf. Lots of choices at Total wine but no help from the store associate. Suggestions?

Herman Marshall

Lone Elm

Ironroot

Balcones

All Texas craft distillers that have achieved some level of notoriety.

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I wanted to get out to Garrison this morning but couldn't make it. Will these be on any shelves here in ATX or are they all spoken for already?

Distillery only release. Was told around 900 bottles. No clue if they sold out already. When I left, the line of cars was pretty damn long

Just has an amazing mail call Saturday. My Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend (batch 24) and Bardstown Chateau de Laubade just arrived. I received these in a trade for a Weller Single Barrel (Plus $50 and shipping).  MSRP on the Magnus is $150-$200 and for the Bardstown is $150 or so (and it’s not even distributed in Texas).  For the $50 MSRP I paid for Weller SiB, I think I did pretty well here.

The Bardstown is 12 year MGP sourced juice, finished 18 months in armagnac barrels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

Just has an amazing mail call Saturday. My Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend (batch 24) and Bardstown Chateau de Laubade just arrived. I received these in a trade for a Weller Single Barrel (Plus $50 and shipping).  MSRP on the Magnus is $150-$200 and for the Bardstown is $150 or so (and it’s not even distributed in Texas).  For the $50 MSRP I paid for Weller SiB, I think I did pretty well here.

The Bardstown is 12 year MGP sourced juice, finished 18 months in armagnac barrels.

I saw the Bardstown Chateau de Laubade at a Spec’s in Houston in Friday. A lot of people like Fusion, reviews are all over the place on Bardtown’s other products. I’ll probably break down and buy a bottle of Fusion at some point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Distillery only release. Was told around 900 bottles. No clue if they sold out already. When I left, the line of cars was pretty damn long

About time Garrison Bros releases a 8 year old product. Did they say what they had proofed it down it from? 101 proof is on the low end for them. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I saw the Bardstown Chateau de Laubade at a Spec’s in Houston in Friday. A lot of people like Fusion, reviews are all over the place on Bardtown’s other products. I’ll probably break down and buy a bottle of Fusion at some point. 

Really?  That’s good to know. One of the reviews I read on it listed a bunch of states it was available in, but Texas wasn’t one of them. Sounds like they expanded distribution, which I’m all for. 

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I just don’t get the Garrison Bros hype. $300 for an 8 year old, non- cask strength bourbon (Laguna Madre)?  How about $75-$80 for an 80 proofer (Honeydew). 

Hard pass from me. 

It’s the only one produced in TX that I actually like, but good lord it’s not worth the money.

Just now, conVINCEd said:

I’m talking about their entire product line being overpriced.

Just my opinion but not a bad price for me. For having easy access to arguably the best distillery outside of Kentucky (certainly the best grain to glass distillery), id rather pay a premium for their products and not have to hunt or suck off someone for a bottle of something that is half the price

Balmorhea and Cowboy are well known as some of the best non-kentucky products out there. Laguna Madre is even better than those two, imo. 

Bourbon on the whole is hilariously overpriced for what you get across the board. Its a product that isnt real hard to make and time is the only real factor that one really pays for imo. Its not like the corn or wheat is expensive, its not like its physically hard to make, or that its even made in some far away land. The vast majority of “distilleries” also do not put out a good product. I dont mind paying $300 for a bottle of bourbon that was actually made in Texas, grain to glass, and is actually fucking amazing to boot. To each their own

I’ve had Discovery, Prisoner, and Fusion all within the same week. I rank them in that order. Fusion has a great nose on it, but the juice itself doesn’t deliver on the promise of the smell. It by no means bad, but it’s thin with a short finish and just not remarkable or complex in any way.

Discovery is damn good. It’s a big brawny bourbon that hits all the classic notes. It’s not breaking new ground, but it’s blended very well and hits all of the notes that I love in a bourbon.

The Prisoner is something unique given the time it spent in the wine barrel. I’m a big fan of the Prisoner wine, so this one really works for me even though there are some notes there that you typically wouldn’t expect to find.

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Just my opinion but not a bad price for me. For having easy access to arguably the best distillery outside of Kentucky (certainly the best grain to glass distillery), id rather pay a premium for their products and not have to hunt or suck off someone for a bottle of something that is half the price

Balmorhea and Cowboy are well known as some of the best non-kentucky products out there. Laguna Madre is even better than those two, imo. 

Bourbon on the whole is hilariously overpriced for what you get across the board. Its a product that isnt real hard to make and time is the only real factor that one really pays for imo. Its not like the corn or wheat is expensive, its not like its physically hard to make, or that its even made in some far away land. The vast majority of “distilleries” also do not put out a good product. I dont mind paying $300 for a bottle of bourbon that was actually made in Texas, grain to glass, and is actually fucking amazing to boot. To each their own

Yeah, I don’t think Garrison Bros is better than MGP or Jack Daniels. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I’ve had Discovery, Prisoner, and Fusion all within the same week. I rank them in that order. Fusion has a great nose on it, but the juice itself doesn’t deliver on the promise of the smell. It by no means bad, but it’s thin with a short finish and just not remarkable or complex in any way.

Discovery is damn good. It’s a big brawny bourbon that hits all the classic notes. It’s not breaking new ground, but it’s blended very well and hits all of the notes that I love in a bourbon.

The Prisoner is something unique given the time it spent in the wine barrel. I’m a big fan of the Prisoner wine, so this one really works for me even though there are some notes there that you typically wouldn’t expect to find.

Which distillery does Bardstown does source from? 

Which distillery does Bardstown does source from? 

Several. Most believe the Discovery is a blend of Beam or Wild Turkey 10 year, Barton 12 year, and Heaven Hill 14 year.

The Prisoner is believed to be from Dickel.

I haven’t seen any guesses on the older bourbon in Fusion, but 60% of that bottle has their own juice in it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I’m a big believer in to each their own.  If you like it, enjoy it.

• Hook 'Em 2

Local experts have acknowledged the “Kentucky Limestone Filtered Water” is marketing BS. There is limestone filtered water all over the US. I think the local craftsmanship and the climate is what makes Kentucky bourbon special.

Jim Beam is 225 years old. Buffalo Trace started in 1792. Generation after generation passing down their craft/expertise. 

All this is to say, there are bourbon snobs that say only Kentucky can make good bourbon. They’re not entirely right or entirely wrong. 

I think Dan Garrison could do himself a favor if he explained his pricing. The State of Texas and the feds are probably taxing the s*** out him. Just say hey guys, I’m paying 60-70% in taxes. I don’t have the economies of scale that Kentucky big boys enjoy. I need to charge $200 for Cowboy to turn a buck.

Instead he trots out arrogant ads celebrating how expensive his product is. This is why people hate Garrison Bros. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

First off, I love the delicious simplicity of Eagle Rare. Going to lean into this bottle tonight. 

Second off, I concur with my esteemed colleague Bill. Kentucky is better because they have a couple hundred years of expertise and more importantly they have the climate. Garrison says it’s so hot that his bourbon matures faster in the barrels because of the heat. Heat pulls the bourbon out into the charred barrel which enriches the bourbon with oak and vanilla, etc.That’s only part of the equation. He’s missing the cold swings that contract the bourbon back from the oak. This process really hits a sweet spot anywhere from 6-12 years depending on your palate. Garrison can’t leave his juice in the barrel that long because the excessive heat would over oak the bourbon quickly. I think that different process affects the outcome. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, Neonmoon said:

First off, I love the delicious simplicity of Eagle Rare. Going to lean into this bottle tonight. 

Second off, I concur with my esteemed colleague Bill. Kentucky is better because they have a couple hundred years of expertise and more importantly they have the climate. Garrison says it’s so hot that his bourbon matures faster in the barrels because of the heat. Heat pulls the bourbon out into the charred barrel which enriches the bourbon with oak and vanilla, etc.That’s only part of the equation. He’s missing the cold swings that contract the bourbon back from the oak. This process really hits a sweet spot anywhere from 6-12 years depending on your palate. Garrison can’t leave his juice in the barrel that long because the excessive heat would over oak the bourbon quickly. I think that different process affects the outcome. 

This all day:  The Eagle Rare comments, and the hot & cold cycles needed to really make bourbon age properly.  Tonight it's some 1910, and a couple Rare Breed 116 pours to finish it off.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

F***ing this. You need some semblance of winter for good bourbon.

I actually think Ole Dan would be better off putting Garrison Bros in Amarillo or somewhere up there in the Panhandle. But he wouldn’t get the winery tourist crowds.

I don’t want to hate on Greenspoint. He seems like a good fella. I have a bottle of Balmorhea in the pantry. I hope it’s good. I paid enough for it.

6 hours ago, RichUT said:

de1507b8787618f300fa6ae8e5d17602.jpg

Super happy to find this old feller on the shelf for $25.99 today.

Grabbed a bottle myself a few days ago and enjoyed some last night.  For a relatively high-rye bourbon, I was getting some corn funkiness on the nose and in the taste, but it didn't bother me.  It helped that I was drinking it over a large cube. 

a7fc31452795e2eed88ec9d62082243e.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I love Magnus Cigar and would love to try the Bardstown take on the theme.  I’m sure Weller SB is good and all, but seems like it’s probably not much better than Poor Man’s Pappy which should cost you about $50 to make.  Pretty sure you came out on top there. 

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Balmorhea is an 8 on the Texas scale and a 4 or 5 on the Kentucky/Indiana scale.  They’re not even playing in the same league. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1