Bourbon

Jimbaround

42 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Dumbass

Grab the Rye Recipe if you can, I got mine for around $55-60 (which I'm happy with)  

You know I'm a dumbass  This isn't a new trait of me. 

I did pick up a Russell;s Reserve Single Barrel Store Pick. Been wanting to try it for a while. And a snagged another Makers Mark Private Select because so good. 

Also it's scary the amount of good bourbon you've collected in a short amount of time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

This review got me excited about the BT Kosher Rye Recipe. I haven't opened mine yet, was hoping to get a 2nd bottle first. But apparently that will be difficult. 

I love the Bourbon Junkies. I think they give great reviews and their livestream on Tuesday night is awesome.

They also have a Facebook group page you can join. It’s a great community. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I love the Bourbon Junkies. I think they give great reviews and their livestream on Tuesday night is awesome.

They also have a Facebook group page you can join. It’s a great community. 

The overwhelmingly consensus is that the Kosher Rye is best of the Buffalo Trace Kosher Line. 

I can't hunt right now, so y'all are really frustrating me, haha. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The overwhelmingly consensus is that the Kosher Rye is best of the Buffalo Trace Kosher Line. 

I can't hunt right now, so y'all are really frustrating me, haha. 

I found my BT Kosher Rye recipe a few weeks ago during the great Weller Drop of Summer 2020. 

It was around 11am and I decided to swing by Total Wine on my way home from an appointment. I walk in and find an attendant and asked if he knew if they had any delivery trucks unloaded that day since I was hunting for the rye recipe (I knew that a few other TW stores in town had received theirs that week). The guy tells me the truck hadn’t been unloaded yet, so I turn around and head out. 

On my way out of the store the guy chases me down and tells me that they just brought the boxes out and they had some rye recipe at the counter. So I head back over to get a bottle, but lo and behold, what are they also putting out?  Weller Single Barrel. So I grab the WSB and check out ($56 including tax) and then call my wife to tell her to haul ass over there from work so she could grab the rye recipe (since TW only allows one allocated bottle per person).

During the next 20 minutes I’m waiting outside just hoping that none of the flippers walk in and text their buddies that the drop has happened. Luckily she made it in time and she got a bottle of the rye recipe (I think it was like $42).

That Weller drop week was glorious for me as I snagged that rye recipe, Weller Single Barrel, Weller 12 and OWA.

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

On 8/17/2020 at 7:50 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Now take that bottle and a bottle of Weller Special Reserve,  pour 500ml of Special reserve and 250 ml of OGD114 into an empty bottle.  Let it sit for a couple of weeks.
You've just made a really really good tasting blend of Poor Man's 4 grain.

I'm vatting/blending a batch tonight. I'll probably let it sit two months or longer. 

I found my BT Kosher Rye recipe a few weeks ago during the great Weller Drop of Summer 2020. 
It was around 11am and I decided to swing by Total Wine on my way home from an appointment. I walk in and find an attendant and asked if he knew if they had any delivery trucks unloaded that day since I was hunting for the rye recipe (I knew that a few other TW stores in town had received theirs that week). The guy tells me the truck hadn’t been unloaded yet, so I turn around and head out. 
On my way out of the store the guy chases me down and tells me that they just brought the boxes out and they had some rye recipe at the counter. So I head back over to get a bottle, but lo and behold, what are they also putting out?  Weller Single Barrel. So I grab the WSB and check out ($56 including tax) and then call my wife to tell her to haul ass over there from work so she could grab the rye recipe (since TW only allows one allocated bottle per person).
During the next 20 minutes I’m waiting outside just hoping that none of the flippers walk in and text their buddies that the drop has happened. Luckily she made it in time and she got a bottle of the rye recipe (I think it was like $42).
That Weller drop week was glorious for me as I snagged that rye recipe, Weller Single Barrel, Weller 12 and OWA.

Mrs T’Boo....”You already have 14 unopened bottles and countless others. I’m not helping you score another one”
T’Boo...kicks rocks and dirt and mutters under his breath.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Mrs T’Boo....”You already have 14 unopened bottles and countless others. I’m not helping you score another one”
T’Boo...kicks rocks and dirt and mutters under his breath.

Haha, I’m pretty lucky. I get the occasional side eye, but she doesn’t give me any shit for my habit. 

Without question, the single best business trip I've ever been on was in 2016 to San Diego, to meet with a major tech firm there about some partnership stuff. Had my then-boss with me who was a total badass, and a co-worker that i'm still friends with. Stopped in to a local joint for lunch and a warm-up drink to find Pappy 15 for $35 a pour. Didn't partake at lunch but we dropped a pin on the map. Wrapped up the meeting (crushed it), and made plans for dinner later. Three of us, being from out of town, had no families to go check in with, so at about 4pm we went back to that place. Put three pours down before dinner, had a badass meal with the partner, and then returned to that bar and finished the bottle. Got to talking with the manager and he said that there wasn't a massive demand for bourbon in their sleepy beach suburb, but since he'd been in business for so long his distributor kept him stocked. He priced it so that people would actually drink it, and he loved that we came to his bar three times in nine hours because of it. We also got the deal done, which made the hangover the next day TOTALLY worth it.

Nice, where was that if you recall? My favorite whiskey spot in SD is The Aero Club (which everyone on this thread should visit before they die) but somehow I doubt it’s the same spot you reference.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Nice, where was that if you recall? My favorite whiskey spot in SD is The Aero Club (which everyone on this thread should visit before they die) but somehow I doubt it’s the same spot you reference.

We were out in La Jolla - dinner was at Herringbone (which was AMAZEBALLS), and the bar was walking distance. I can't seem to track it down on google maps but it was close to Herringbone - the place was more of a restaurant, nice outside patio space, the bar was square and a pretty good size - maybe 10-12 seats along each of the three sides. 

2 hours ago, capnamerca said:

We were out in La Jolla - dinner was at Herringbone (which was AMAZEBALLS), and the bar was walking distance. I can't seem to track it down on google maps but it was close to Herringbone - the place was more of a restaurant, nice outside patio space, the bar was square and a pretty good size - maybe 10-12 seats along each of the three sides. 

Looking at a map, it MAY have been Cody's... that matches the street / orientation that I remember. Honestly, the bar doesn't look quite right, but the sign outside does. I'll keep looking.

Went to Total Wine specifically to pick up a WT Rare Breed and a set of Glencairns, and fell ass backwards into this

4d69517f08a07a6411a7a968d9eefb86.jpg

While I was taking a quick scan of their regular inventory, some employee dude walks up with a big shopping cart carrying only 3 Blanton’s. Limit 1 obviously. They were all taken before he could even put it on the shelf. The bottle is still cold. $63.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Looking at a map, it MAY have been Cody's... that matches the street / orientation that I remember. Honestly, the bar doesn't look quite right, but the sign outside does. I'll keep looking.

Found it. Coworker had a pic of the menu - WhiskyNLadle. Now closed permanently :(. Damn covid.

I know that some view the use of MGP as something of a crutch, and I get that up to a point. MGP can be delicious, and they play a really important role in both meeting consumer demand and enabling new entrants to the category to get on their feet sooner. I don’t have a hang up on MGP in principle, and for me, my interest is often a function of how unique the finishing process is and how transparent the label is about where the juice comes from.

Magnus Cigar has been high on my personal list of things I want to try for awhile. It’s a blend of 11 and 18 year old bourbons, which is a totally different animal than using 4-6 year old MGP like several others are doing. Everything I read about it says it will be right up my alley, so I was stoked to find it.

11 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I know that some view the use of MGP as something of a crutch, and I get that up to a point. MGP can be delicious, and they play a really important role in both meeting consumer demand and enabling new entrants to the category to get on their feet sooner. I don’t have a hang up on MGP in principle, and for me, my interest is often a function of how unique the finishing process is and how transparent the label is about where the juice comes from.

Magnus Cigar has been high on my personal list of things I want to try for awhile. It’s a blend of 11 and 18 year old bourbons, which is a totally different animal than using 4-6 year old MGP like several others are doing. Everything I read about it says it will be right up my alley, so I was stoked to find it.

I traded for a Cigar Blend (batch 24) and cracked it open last weekend. It’s faaaaaaantastic, especially with a quality stick. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll bend the knee. Middle class Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill is better than 1 percenter MGP. 

I’m thankful for MGP. It’s gifted us Eighteen33, Smoke Wagon, and countless others, but let’s not call it elite bourbon. It’s good, I’ll leave it that. 

What do you consider middle class Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill?

Couldn’t take it anymore and went out with my
Morning coffee...

Normal honey hole got screwed by their distro after grand promises. Only delivered one bottle of Antique which was already promised and 2 bottles of Gold, for which they were asking $300... lololol

Went to the backup on the other side of town and scratched out the following. Nothing spectacular but 3 that I’ve been reading about and am eager to try, along with the last bottle of Yippee in the store. Always good to have backups, especially when the source is drying up!

d8c507cf2e144538dc8613e7f94c9597.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Blanton’s/ Weller 107 for BT,  and Pikesville/ Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for Heaven Hill.

Meh, it’s comparable in my opinion. I think it depends on personal preference. I don’t think anyone was saying MGP was Pappy if that what you mean by “elite”, but I enjoy MGP as much as I enjoy Blantons. Just depends what kind of mood I’m in, or more so, what’s available. MGP has that unique  spice note that I enjoy and I think it sets it apart as a different yet equal bottle to a blantons or something along those lines. (Talking 10 year single barrel MGP and not the various younger releases under whatever brands)

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ll bend the knee. Middle class Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill is better than 1 percenter MGP. 

I’m thankful for MGP. It’s gifted us Eighteen33, Smoke Wagon, and countless others, but let’s not call it elite bourbon. It’s good, I’ll leave it that. 

Team 1%er MGP over here.  Start trying some BT stuff side by side blind and then you can see where it lands without the hype.  But yes, 1833 will smoke pretty much anything 90 proof if you do it blind. 

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bill, I have come MGP that will change that view. Shoot me a PM and I’ll get you a couple samples before you summarily dismiss what MGP can be under it’s full potential. 

92930472-EE80-4AC9-A99B-7538B96B3099.jpeg

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Bill, I have come MGP that will change that view. Shoot me a PM and I’ll get you a couple samples before you summarily dismiss what MGP can be under it’s full potential. 

I will certainly do that. 

I’m not saying I’ll stop buying MGP products. I’m just not going to hunt for them anymore. And I’m certainly not going to bug my bourbon connects for MGP. 

50 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

I know I’ve defended it on this thread before but I’m now convinced mgp sucks. Change my mind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2