Bourbon

Jimbaround

This Dickel BiB is interesting...

Blistering hot on the tongue despite the proof but not completely offensive, finishes with a hint of sweetness but not enough to call it balanced.

Takes some inspiration to drink a 2oz pour, and I’ll likely be saving this for friends who want to try something different.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:23 PM, Buzzrock said:

401188502c17b6f80109ff6dfc40e2d4.jpg

New place near me is doing a points system, and as you rack up points you get the privilege of buying the allocated stuff. It’s basically a point per dollar but they double points on stuff sometimes. He says these will be sold at MSRP to those who have the points.

Top points level is 4000.

Love it a place that actually rewards alcoholism....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

How big is everyone’s drop off from first drink bourbon to last drink bourbon? Meaning, I started out with a pour of a Weller Full Proof, then went to RRSiB , now I’m pouring 4R heavy 

I went Four Roses SBS, to OF 1910, to McKenna 10 year, to 3 pours of regular BT tonight. The 6th bourbon is slwoing me down.  Watching Steth Lets Flats with the wife. Highly recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, RichUT said:

So did anyone swing by Debs yesterday for the Weller Full Proof store pick?

I heard it was going to be $200, so I didn’t keep an eye out for when it was going to be released. He only made a Facebook announcement to say it was sold out, but never said when it would drop (like he usually does with his other picks). 

2 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

I heard it was going to be $200, so I didn’t keep an eye out for when it was going to be released. He only made a Facebook announcement to say it was sold out, but never said when it would drop (like he usually does with his other picks). 

Please don’t pay $200 for Full Proof fellas. I don’t care if Deb picked it with Harlan Wheatley, it’s not worth it.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
38 minutes ago, capnamerca said:
I have a bottle of the Smooth AMbler SiB Select, says "distilled in Tennessee." Does that mean it's MGP juice? (I haven't opened it yet, and honestly I drink for taste, but trying to improve the learning).

That would be dickel not MGP unfortunately

Shit that's what I meant ("not" MGP). Thanks for the quick response. I haven't opened it yet, will report back on taste. At 94 proof, it's probably pretty mellow regardless of lineage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capnamerca said:

I have a bottle of the Smooth Ambler SiB Select 14, says "distilled in Tennessee." Does that mean it's MGP juice? Just trying to improve my understanding of things ... 

That would be Dickel juice you have there, my friend. MGP comes from Indiana. 

Edited by Yev Kassem

Shit that's what I meant ("not" MGP). Thanks for the quick response. I haven't opened it yet, will report back on taste. At 94 proof, it's probably pretty mellow regardless of lineage.

The bottle I have of that trash is the worst one in my cabinet.

I might use it to poison some rats.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Scotch and coke ?   

I’ve never personally gone down that road, but I’ve mixed some weird shit at some weird times.  I wouldn’t post about these experiments, with pictures mind you,  but I’ve drank some strange shit over the years, mostly out of necessity.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve never personally gone down that road, but I’ve mixed some weird shit at some weird times.  I wouldn’t post about these experiments, with pictures mind you,  but I’ve drank some strange shit over the years, mostly out of necessity.

I can only pity one poster a day.

Just now, H_Boogie said:

Lol Ugggggghhhhhhh what’a worse?!?! The exorbitant spending, or the bullshit conversation with counter help?? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never done either, so I wouldn’t know.  I’m a regular enough customer at my local liquor store that the manager will give me a heads up if he has something reasonably good in back or behind the counter if he sees me walk in, but that’s about the best I can hope for.  I don’t get phone calls.  He does let me buy two bottles of Weller when they have it, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve never done either, so I wouldn’t know.  I’m a regular enough customer at my local liquor store that the manager will give me a heads up if he has something reasonably good in back or behind the counter if he sees me walk in, but that’s about the best I can hope for.  I don’t get phone calls.  He does let me buy two bottles of Weller when they have it, so I have that going for me, which is nice.

That’s a good setup. I have a little old man at Total Wine Allen that straight up lies to me or is completely oblivious to how his company operates, OR a handful of employees at a local spot (Empire Allen) that speak the company line about a supposed allocation raffle that has been supposed to happen since the end of January, but they keep waiting on “a few more bottles to come in.” Lies.

25 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

Lol Ugggggghhhhhhh what’a worse?!?! The exorbitant spending, or the bullshit conversation with counter help?? Lol

I only talk to a couple of the bourbon guys. I won’t suffer any fools at Total Wine and Goody Goody. They like people that come in consistently and are polite. What they don’t like is people getting angry with them when they can’t sell you Blanton’s. I also profusely praise their store picks. Some of these folks are serious professionals, and they like to be recognized for something they worked on. Just like everybody else. 

I’d recommend getting on email lists. You can usually work you way up the food chain from there. If you develop a good repertoire, they might hold bottles for you by request. The timing is important too. Don’t contact them in July asking for BTAC. Try to time it closer to actual release date. 

9 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

And here comes the dumb question... how’d ya land the EHTBP??? My flipping white whale...

Built a strong relationship with my local Goody Goody over the last 4 years and developed a good friendship in the process.  
Did so by not starting off asking for allocated stuff.  Just talk bourbon with them, let them know what you like/dislike, let them recommend things, support the store whether or not they have the bottle you are looking for.   Now I meet up with the manager for drinks/cigars on a regular basis.  I also give him a couple of pours out of the bottles I get from him and every christmas I give him a bottle of Poor Man's Pappy.  I don't flip either and he knows it.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

And here comes the dumb question... how’d ya land the EHTBP??? My flipping white whale...

Pretty sure there was a EHTBP drop on Friday. I was in Plano over the weekend and stopped in a Goody Goody on my way into town on Friday afternoon and they said they had gotten some that morning. 

Yeah the Buffalo Trace handles seem out of place in the above picture. 

[mention=90]Buzzrock[/mention] what state do you live in? 

Georgia.

Did a little blind whiskey tasting for the neighbors on Saturday.

9f72944323dd5c8488dbadca76cae85e.jpgabbb13ef8a0f1902d408abe048dc4de6.jpg

#4 was the hands down winner. Not much love for the 1920, but I liked it.
  • Like 2

Buffalo Trace is over rated. Has a decent flavor, but nothing to write home about, and for damn sure no reason for it to be hard to find. I blame the pretty buffalo drawing.  Good hootch though.

Angels Envy has no start, and no finish.  Entry level bourbon, but not a bad flavor.

1920. I like a lot. Not a surprise it wasn't a crowd favorite at 115 proof.

Weller Antique I like a whole lot. Not much of a surprise it was the crowd favorite.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Georgia.

Did a little blind whiskey tasting for the neighbors on Saturday.

9f72944323dd5c8488dbadca76cae85e.jpgabbb13ef8a0f1902d408abe048dc4de6.jpg

#4 was the hands down winner. Not much love for the 1920, but I liked it.

I would have guessed an East Coast state. I understand BT is pretty hit or miss out that way. I’m not surprised Antique won that tasting. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Buffalo Trace is over rated. Has a decent flavor, but nothing to write home about, and for damn sure no reason for it to be hard to find. I blame the pretty buffalo drawing.  Good hootch though.

Angels Envy has no start, and no finish.  Entry level bourbon, but not a bad flavor.

1920. I like a lot. Not a surprise it wasn't a crowd favorite at 115 proof.

Weller Antique I like a whole lot. Not much of a surprise it was the crowd favorite.

BT has a grassy note, but the store picks take care of that. 

I like to drink BT at steakhouses because they don’t mark it up. Also pretty enjoyable on a plane.