Bourbon

Jimbaround

6 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Landed a Booker’s Country Ham today at Spec’s for $80. I’ve never had Booker’s before and have always heard that Country Ham was the best batch, so I figured what the hell. 

Kentucky Chew is better, but I had a small sample size of Country Ham. Regardless, you did well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Got 3 store picks today (MMPS, EC Small Batch, 1792 Full Proof), and found these at my last stop.

6153584c68aabb46342e33d637f0467a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sam Houston is amazing. It’s an oak bomb on the neck pour, but it’s phenomenal once it opens up. 

OE7 is very solid as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m fading Old Ezra 7 BP. Hopefully some just as good and yes even cheaper proofers will enter the market place. Benchmark Barrel Proof is supposed to really good for $19. 

Other unpopular bourbon opinions:

OGD 114 tastes like s***. I barely made it through a pour recently. OGD Bonded is indeed better. 

I didn’t care for Rittenhouse Rye. 

Regular 1792 Full Proof isn’t a good buy. 

I don’t get the EH Taylor Single Barrel hype. The EHT Rye should be the whiskey  receiving the accolades. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

I’m fading Old Ezra 7 BP. Hopefully some just as good and yes even cheaper proofers will enter the market place. Benchmark Barrel Proof is supposed to really good for $19. 
Other unpopular bourbon opinions:
OGD 114 tastes like s***. I barely made it through a pour recently. OGD Bonded is indeed better. 
I didn’t care for Rittenhouse Rye. 
Regular 1792 Full Proof isn’t a good buy. 
I don’t get the EH Taylor Single Barrel hype. The EHT Rye should be the whiskey  receiving the accolades. 
I don't care for oe 7 either. Nothing but stale peanuts to me.

#HailState - Go Bulldogs

Just now, msudawg said:

I don't care for oe 7 either. Nothing but stale peanuts to me.

#HailState - Go Bulldogs

I’ve had a good bottle of Old Ezra 7 BP and not so bottle. It’s not a single barrel, so I’m not sure how that happened. The big challenge for me with Old Ezra is getting over the charcoal taste. It fades as the bottle opens up, but it’s a lot at the beginning. 

I wouldn’t suggest Old Ezra over Wild Turkey Rare Breed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's a bold statement, and good to hear so another flavor can be added to the bar.

What's the proof on the Old Ezra ?

117. I was pretty buzzed last night, so not sure the "better than WT Rare Breed" take will last. 

But was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I dig the peanut profile. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

117. I was pretty buzzed last night, so not sure the "better than WT Rare Breed" take will last. 

But I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I dig the peanut profile. 

Rare Breed has been my go to for high proof bourbons, but the supply isn't consistent.  So I'll have to give the Old Ezra a try.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, huge said:

TW just texted me that my LB4 is ready for pickup.  So that's fun.

Just can’t do with Little Book 4. The four year old brown rice bourbon concerns me. 

Fred Noe called the 8 year high rye, rye whiskey blend a tribute to Booker’s Rye. This I do want. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Mash and Drum guy

Jason Callori. I’m a big fan of his channel.  I enjoy how he does his reviews. He’s recently been giving Buffalo Trace a hard time for how much they allocate everything and how that drives the secondary market pricing out of control. 

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Jason Callori. I’m a big fan of his channel.  I enjoy how he does his reviews. He’s recently been giving Buffalo Trace a hard time for how much they allocate everything and how that drives the secondary market pricing out of control. 

Callori is a filthy Ohio State fan, but he’s good. Very concise. The spiritual successor to Whiskey Blooded, also a filthy Rust Belt Yankee. 

I think we have pretty similar palettes, but I don’t love all his recs. His review of Birthday 2020 was pretty interesting. Fresh coconut flakes, Mounds bar tasting notes in a bourbon would be a first for me. 

I can’t do it anymore with It’s Whiskey Night. They stretch 15 minute reviews into 2 hour live streams consisting of shout outs to Patreon subscribers and inside jokes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

Got myself a Rare Breed rye last night. About 5 on the shelf with nothing else interesting around, so I figured I'd give it a shot so I stop guzzling Angels Envy. 

I'd say any decent Russell's Reserve SiB Store Pick is better than Rare Breed, but it's a fine bourbon. Both beat the doors off of modern Wild Turkey 101. 

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I found Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel and I like it a lot, but my palette isn't the most sophisticated. What notes should I be searching for that come from the toasted barrel?

Mash and Drum said he picked up s'mores on the nose, but the taste didn't keep pace with the nose. So chocolate, graham cracker, marshmellow. 

Callori is a filthy Ohio State fan, but he’s good. Very concise. The spiritual successor to Whiskey Blooded, also a filthy Rust Belt Yankee. 
I think we have pretty similar palettes, but I don’t love all his recs. His review of Birthday 2020 was pretty interesting. Fresh coconut flakes, Mounds bar tasting notes in a bourbon would be a first for me. 
I can’t do it anymore with It’s Whiskey Night. They stretch 15 minute reviews into 2 hour live streams consisting of shout outs to Patreon subscribers and inside jokes. 
Yeaaa haven't watched iwn much recently. Normal shows got longer and live streams are as you said just pay me money and I'll say tour name. Luckily they have pulled some reviews out from lives and cut them down to 15 minutes or so and that might catch my eye if it's something I already have heard about.

Bourbon junkies and whiskey tribe are my go to usually now. But damn those bourbon junkies live streams.. 3 hours is a long time to listen to them joke nonstop on each other.

#HailState - Go Bulldogs

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Yeaaa haven't watched iwn much recently. Normal shows got longer and live streams are as you said just pay me money and I'll say tour name. Luckily they have pulled some reviews out from lives and cut them down to 15 minutes or so and that might catch my eye if it's something I already have heard about.

Bourbon junkies and whiskey tribe are my go to usually now. But damn those bourbon junkies live streams.. 3 hours is a long time to listen to them joke nonstop on each other.

#HailState - Go Bulldogs

Love the Bourbon Junkies. I’m a patron and can’t wait for the Sagamore Rye pick they did that is hopefully coming in the next couple months. 

Edited by Yev Kassem