Bourbon

Jimbaround

I haven’t seen the discovery series just the fusion.

Disco is the way to go on those?

For now, it definitely is. Mind you, the Discovery is twice the price. That said, it’s a much better product. The Fusion is 60% Bardstown’s juice, which is still on the young side.

I hit about 5-6 stores today and I saw Discovery series 2 and 3, as well as The Prisoner collaboration bottle (also excellent). It’s out there if you look for it.

ER is simply delicious. It outclasses many bourbons priced above it easily. 

Never had it but Long Branch is charcoal filtered 8 year old WT. I’m sure it tastes fine, but never heard of any glowing reviews. It was made to compete with 4R small batch, 1792, and Woodford Reserve. Those are mixers in my opinions. 

• Like 1

Eagle Rare is a fine bourbon, and a great value at MSRP. It really starts to fall apart once the price point creeps north of $35-$40. It’s not complex in anyway whatsoever, but it’s one of the best baseline expressions around.

It’s a bit of an odd product in the sense that it’s been referred to as underrated so much that it has now become a bit overrated.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Not bourbon but Redbreast 12 is delicious. Pricey for 80 proof but yummy. Getting drunk now on Longbranch cause cloakroom. I’m really sad right now. Gonna hit the hay before I get hungover for my daughters soccer game tomorrow morning but goddamn I’m sad. 

weird.  so when i was shopping for nikka from the barrel, which was surprisingly hard to obtain, i ended up on some "if you like this whiskey, check out this other one" type of site, and it kept recommending redbreast 12.  i've never had it, but now i'm interested. 

10 hours ago, stork642 said:

What’s the consensus on LB?  Being a newby to the bourbon game I don’t know anything about LB.  That being said I’m sipping on some Eagle Rare tonight so I think I’m slowly starting to figure this stuff out.

LongBranch? I wanted to hate it because I expected it to be just another novelty bourbon, but it’s better than that.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s an inoffensive mid-range product like Basil Hayden and won’t  blow anybody’s hair back, but it’s unique enough to deserve a spot on the shelf even without the celebrity tie-in. Another fine Bourbon from the Russells.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

weird.  so when i was shopping for nikka from the barrel, which was surprisingly hard to obtain, i ended up on some "if you like this whiskey, check out this other one" type of site, and it kept recommending redbreast 12.  i've never had it, but now i'm interested. 

Redbreast 12 is absolutely delicious.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Longbranch is great for the price imo. I get it for about $35. Saw it once for $45 and passed. Has a uniqueness to it that I like over regular WT.

It is appropriately priced,  it it speaks well for them that they probably could have done the same volume in the $50 range and chose not to. I think Bourbon people would have shit all over them (rightly so) and it would have damaged the brand, similar to what happened with OF Statesman.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, RichUT said:

Eagle Rare is a fine bourbon, and a great value at MSRP. It really starts to fall apart once the price point creeps north of $35-$40. It’s not complex in anyway whatsoever, but it’s one of the best baseline expressions around.

It’s a bit of an odd product in the sense that it’s been referred to as underrated so much that it has now become a bit overrated.

I picked up two bottles of ER for $32 each so I thought I was getting a steal. Haha. The more Iearn about this it just makes it obvious how little I know.  This is a great thread for quality information.  Every time I’m on here I see another bourbon I want to try.  I’m buying them faster that I can drink them and wife thinks I’ve gone full alcoholic. If she only knew how much I used to drink in college her head would explode.  

I got lucky on 1 bottle of ER. Only seen W12 behind a glass case reserved for customers with reward points. 

Saw my first Antique 107 behind the counter at a shitty liquor store. She wanted $199. I laughed. She said "I'm willing to deal". Her lowest number was $180. I laughed again and politely left. 

Weller 12, Antique, and  Blanton’s are kind of a dead zone for me. My home store I guess thinks I have enough of all 3 because I never get contacted about them. I’ll beg, borrow, and steal for W12. I’ve given Blanton’s as gifts before and I don’t miss them. If you vouch for me, you’re getting a bottle of something good.

I’d recommend buying Eagle Rare 10 every time you see it. I think it’s next on the allocation list. If it’s a store pick, buy as many bottles as possible. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Eagle Rare is good. Slight step up from Regular Buffalo Trace IMO.  Totally get why it would be an everyday sipper for some people.

But no way I pay $50+ for it when there are better options. I'll continue to buy at closer to MSRP if available. 

21 minutes ago, huge said:

Definitely.

I’ve owned maybe one bottle of ER in my life.

To compare I’ve bought 3 bottles of Rare Breed since March.

I will fight both of you 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I got lucky on 1 bottle of ER. Only seen W12 behind a glass case reserved for customers with reward points. 

Saw my first Antique 107 behind the counter at a shitty liquor store. She wanted $199. I laughed. She said "I'm willing to deal". Her lowest number was $180. I laughed again and politely left. 

You did well. The new bottle design on Antique tastes off to me. Too much on the clove notes. I think Buffalo Trace dropped a year to meet demand/their Weller new release program. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

ER shows up usually about once a month or so at the big box liquor stores. Most usually do store picks as well, but that’s only a couple times a year those will show up.  Some will put them out on the shelf (like Total Wine) while others may keep them in the back and only give them out if you ask for them (Twin Liquors usually does this from my experience).

The only chance you have at getting any Weller product other than Special Reserve is to get lucky during the annual Buffalo Trace/Weller drop. This is the usually once a year drop that Buffalo Trace does that will include a few ETLs, Weller Full Proofs and CYPBs and a few cases of OWA and W12. It’s my understanding that the big annual has already happened this year, so you probably aren’t finding those products at MSRP any time this year. 

Blanton's, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace usually get dropped once a month. You’ll have to learn when your stores get their deliveries (it varies by store) to keep up with the flippers (who snatch up Blanton’s all the time because it’s an easy sale and they can double their investment).

My best advice is to join local Facebook bourbon groups and that will hopefully tip you off when the good stuff is at least in your area.  That way you can ramp up your hunting efforts at the right time. Being in these groups tipped me off when the big Weller drop happened and helped me snag BT Kosher Rye recipe, Weller Single Barrel, W12 and OWA all in the same week at MSRP.  I’m just a regular dude like the rest of us here and not a flipper (who typically give kickbacks to store managers or employees for tips on when the good stuff is coming). Being in these local groups is about as good of a chance as you’ll get to having a chance at landing these allocated bottles. 

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Considering how i can regularly get ER and have only seen W12 on the shelf once, for $100, i would agree with this.

Yeah only W12s I’ve “seen” that weren’t outrageously priced or points-protected were in the hands of jokers that sat outside a liquor store for an hour before opening or squatted in the store waiting for a truck. No thanks, I’ll just collect my consolation prizes and go home. EHTBP is my exception.. I’ll hop a freight train to o catch that. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Weller 12, Antique, and  Blanton’s are kind of a dead zone for me. My home store I guess thinks I have enough of all 3 because I never get contacted about them. I’ll beg, borrow, and steal for W12. I’ve given Blanton’s as gifts before and I don’t miss them. If you vouch for me, you’re getting a bottle of something good.

I’d recommend buying Eagle Rare 10 every time you see it. I think it’s next on the allocation list. If it’s a store pick, buy as many bottles as possible. 

PM me if you ever want to suck a dick for an unopened bottle of W12... Or I guess trade it for something fun. 

I have a handle and two singles of W12. This thread is the only thing related to bourbon I’m a part of in social media. I don’t get phone calls and I do not pay more than MSRP, ever. 

I only shop at a couple of stores. I buy something (usually vodka or wine) every time I come in. They know what I like. Every once in a while somebody puts a bottle aside for me until I come in. really simple system. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I used to get W12 and OWA all day long for $23 and then that jackass wrote that article in Esquire calling it the next Pappy. Poof.

Last time I found it was a couple years ago for $40 which I happily paid. I don’t have much left of either.

Similar to me and McKenna B-I-B.  Then it won in SF two years in a row, Fred Minnick publicized it, and the price went from $30 at my local place to $99.99 overnight.  I think I've had one bottle since then, and only because I found one in a local liquor store that was still priced reasonably. 

It's a budget night for me tonight.  OGD 114 over an ice ball to start and some Elijah Craig to finish.  I ain't complaining.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Similar to me and McKenna B-I-B.  Then it won in SF two years in a row, Fred Minnick publicized it, and the price went from $30 at my local place to $99.99 overnight.  I think I've had one bottle since then, and only because I found one in a local liquor store that was still priced reasonably. 

It's a budget night for me tonight.  OGD 114 over an ice ball to start and some Elijah Craig to finish.  I ain't complaining.

Spec’s is the best big box store to find McKenna. I’ve seen it there a few times on the shelf in the last few months for $35 or so.  You can use Spec’s website to search for brands and McKenna is one that will show up when they have inventory.

Solid stuff for $35, but not much more than that. 

9 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I have a handle and two singles of W12. This thread is the only thing related to bourbon I’m a part of in social media. I don’t get phone calls and I do not pay more than MSRP, ever. 

I only shop at a couple of stores. I buy something (usually vodka or wine) every time I come in. They know what I like. Every once in a while somebody puts a bottle aside for me until I come in. really simple system. 

This is how a man shops.