Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

is your shelf bending on the top row or is that my bourbon loss paranoia?

it's a optical illusion.  I thought so too, but I just level checked it.  Had to make sure.  :D

middle shelf looks like it's crooked in the picture as well, but it's not.

Edited by BigDHornfan

37 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

half the posts so far are about eagle rare aren't they? or was that sarcasm? this is why we can't have nice things

This is to add to the Eagle Rare posts. Now don’t get me wrong, I love BT mashbill #1 and have some stellar older aged store pick bottles, but this Old Prentice juice is on a whole different level.  What I get on the nose, is Lammes chocolate longhorns and oak.  It tastes of caramel, kb7kva.jpgchocolate, pecan, vanilla, oak, dried cherry and orange peel.  What I like best is the full long robust oily finish that seems to never end.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Did a lighting uprgrade to my bar today.  But all it makes me want to do is buy more bourbon to fill the spot where the glasses are.  My wife thinks I’m crazy but at least she doesn’t bitch when I buy a new bottle.

6EE84D4E-59A1-4331-9A1C-6C3436A2C028.jpg

nice bar. I have actually never seen a 1.5L ER in the wild, High five on the blantons stock (this is why we cant have nice things). OFBB. W12. RY10. EH tayor. 

Your bar content look a lot like mine in some regards.

You need to take up a scotch habit.  

54 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Did a lighting uprgrade to my bar today.  But all it makes me want to do is buy more bourbon to fill the spot where the glasses are.  My wife thinks I’m crazy but at least she doesn’t bitch when I buy a new bottle.

We should hang out 

34 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

This is to add to the Eagle Rare posts. Now don’t get me wrong, I love BT mashbill #1 and have some stellar older aged store pick bottles, but this Old Prentice juice is on a whole different level.  What I get on the nose, is Lammes chocolate longhorns and oak.  It tastes of caramel, kb7kva.jpgchocolate, pecan, vanilla, oak, dried cherry and orange peel.  What I like best is the full long robust oily finish that seems to never end.

Is that your bar in the background ? Holy shit that’s a lot of stuff

My collection is weak as fuck. 

Standouts: Blantons, Weller 12, Weller Antique, ER, Noah’s Mill

Wishlist: EC 18, EC 23, any PPVW, OFBB, 

but there’s probably zero chance I find those in the wild. And you can’t ship liquor to Texas so no secondary market action 

Scored weller 12 on my way home at goody goody. They also had Blantons but would only sell me either or. So today got weller, Blantons, and eagle rare . I feel like break dancing.

been to every store I’ve seen over the last year and only been able to find ER. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

So now that I have tried weller 12, I like it as much as Blantons or maybe better , plus the price 1/3 the cost . Thoughts?

Weller 12 is great. I have a bottle of van Winkle lot b and I can't tell the difference.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey

5 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

This is a good reminder I need to perform some spring cleaning and reorganize the collection.  Last week I downsized the non-whiskey by about 40 bottles of really obscure/random stuff I haven't used in years.  That's going to a good friend who is currently devoting an entire floor of a home he's building to his bar.

The whiskey isn't being downsized, just organized.

Man, you guys got some great bars and some incredible nectar of the gods collections!  I aspire to have such collections.

I've been out of the bourbon game for awhile, but recently dipped my toe back in with some Blanton's and Four Roses Single Batch.  

My favorite is still BTAC Eagle Rare, need to get out there and score some regular ER and get back in the game.

Is there any advantage to going to the distilleries? I mean besides just seeing the awesomeness of the place itself.

Can you get hard to find bottles? Do the distilleries even sell bottles? I'm curious because I buddy is driving through Lexington and was asking if he should pick something up.

Some bottles are only released at the distillery. But just cruising through Kentucky on a random day you're not going to get lucky with that. You should still go just to see them. I've been to Four Roses and Buffalo Trace before. Have a trip in a few weeks to Maker's Mark and will probably hit up another one then as well.

1 hour ago, Smax said:

Same, its sitting on shelves here, still no sight of W12 though

I'm in Colorado, and I have never seen Weller anywhere.  Blanton's is a rare occurrence as well (of course), but I have at least found it.

Bought this at Total Wine last week in Dallas for $100. The only thing I saw that was unique and reasonable (they had another Whistle Pig in the case for $500, no thanks). I’m definitely happy with this bottle.

e187b37e279d540aedc4ce568539b2f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone see anything in Houston this week?

Went to Specs last Saturday and they said every store was out of Weller 12. They said it was all gone in about 3 hours. I'm sure they were holding some for their special customers. Went to several liquor stores in west Houston and their W12s were sold or already spoken for. Didn't see anything special.

Some bottles are only released at the distillery. But just cruising through Kentucky on a random day you're not going to get lucky with that. You should still go just to see them. I've been to Four Roses and Buffalo Trace before. Have a trip in a few weeks to Maker's Mark and will probably hit up another one then as well.
Muchas gracias amigo

where in Houston does one see Blanton's on the shelf?  Haven't seen any in a couple of years, but maybe I'm not looking often enough.  I check Spec's out west on Westheimer, Total on Memorial, Spec's downtown, Spec's Sugar Land.   where else do I need to be looking?