Bourbon

Jimbaround

7 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, milkman said:

Thank you very much! I thought the Death Bottle would have been worth more than the Wild Turkey Tribute, guess not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can pick up 4 or 5 bottles of wine now?

More like help offset the costs of all the wine I just bought from another Surly member. 

Private barrel picks done by our local group. The one on the far right is a 375ml bottle from Distijl and is being traded in the $400 range due to the reputation the pickers have. We did a Widow Jane pick last year that was trading in the $600 range a while back.

Edited by Herbie Hancock

33 minutes ago, huge said:

What are the bookend bottles?  I don't know anything about those labels.

I don't either, but the 3 in the middle are like 3 cherries on a slot machine these days.

I'm not a rye fan for anything other than mixing in an old fashioned or other cocktail, so I just kind of looked past that one.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Got a 1792 Full Proof store pick the other day. Not real impressed by the neck pour. Super hot/boozy and didn't pick up any interesting tasting notes.

Put the 2nd glass on ice and it was better, but nothing noteworthy. Hopefully getting some air into it will change the profile. 

I find a small piece of ice will push the alcohol back a bit, and let other flavors come forward.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

I find a small piece of ice will push the alcohol back a bit, and let other flavors come forward.

Yeah, it pushed the alcohol back, but the flavor was still pretty bland to me. I'll come back to it. 

I think it's the highest proof I've tried so far, but OF 1920 and Rare Breed are two of my favorites. So I don't think it's a proof issue. 

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah, it pushed the alcohol back, but the flavor was still pretty bland to me. I'll come back to it. 

I think it's the highest proof I've tried so far, but OF 1920 and Rare Breed are two of my favorites. So I don't think it's a proof issue. 

Both of those are solid. Just discovered the 1920 (thanks Surly).  RB 116 has been my go to high proof hootch for years now.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Got a 1792 Full Proof store pick the other day. Not real impressed by the neck pour. Super hot/boozy and didn't pick up any interesting tasting notes.

Put the 2nd glass on ice and it was better, but nothing noteworthy. Hopefully getting some air into it will change the profile. 

Full Proof picks are hit and miss. There’s really no rhyme or reason to it. I’ve had a great pick at Total, so-so picks from Rice Liquor, Spec’s is consistently good. 

COVID pretty much eliminated the in store tastings. This is unfortunate. I wouldn’t have bought my favorite Full Proof pick if I hadn’t tasted it first. 

dude pulled out his phone and showed me that its selling for $600 online.  i bet it is still there.

My honey hole in west Texas changed ownership a couple years ago. Where EHTBP, Blanton’s and Elmer used to sit and collect dust at retail, the new owner prices everything off of Caskers and WineSearcher prices. If you’re not familiar with those two, they’re about 30-40% higher than secondary prices. He has a monopoly on the BT products in the area as he supplies the majority of restaurants and bars within the county. Last time I stopped in he had cases, that’s right cases, of just about every allocated BT product as well as multiples of the entire BTAC and Van Winkle lineup. I hate him. Hate.

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

My honey hole in west Texas changed ownership a couple years ago. Where EHTBP, Blanton’s and Elmer used to sit and collect dust at retail, the new owner prices everything off of Caskers and WineSearcher prices. If you’re not familiar with those two, they’re about 30-40% higher than secondary prices. He has a monopoly on the BT products in the area as he supplies the majority of restaurants and bars within the county. Last time I stopped in he had cases, that’s right cases, of just about every allocated BT product as well as multiples of the entire BTAC and Van Winkle lineup. I hate him. Hate.

sounds like holiday depot liquor by my work.  they have all the BT stuff marked up a few thousand percent over msrp.  full proof weller i think is $799.  still there if anyone wants it.

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Pinkie's? It's OK, you can tell me. 

18 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Not sure if they’ll be at all Specs statewide, but today I got a Specs Smoke Wagon single barrel pick. It was only at one location here in San Antonio, but I wanted to let y’all know in case you wanted to check locations by you. 

They had it at Specs downtown Houston today too.

• Hook 'Em 1