Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

Found this in the wild today. Looking forward to cracking it. 9a8ca00f1cbe7c4c2ce05784eff0662d.jpg

I saw a 12 year today. I asked about the 14 year. They were out and I passed. Just a couple more months of showing restraint. 

I see an Old Forester SiB Barrel Strength on the counter. Congrats on being awesome. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I think I have series 3. It’s great. Not sure about $80 great but then again I’m rich and what the duck do I care?

In a world where you can get everything at MSRP, maybe it’s not worth that. But, we don’t live in that world. Looking at what $80 gets you in reality these days, it’s a damn fine deal. Super happy to have this in my collection.

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I saw a 12 year today. I asked about the 14 year. They were out and I passed. Just a couple more months of showing restraint. 

I see an Old Forester SiB Barrel Strength on the counter. Congrats on being awesome. 

Do you want to read about three more OF bottles we probably will never taste?

44aedaf1-3605-43ee-a524-baf4ae4c79fc-150_Three_Bottles_transparent.png?width=660&height=660&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/old-forester-celebrates-150-year-history-with-limited-edition-bourbon-release-301135780.html

Old Forester 150th Anniversary Bourbon Batch Details and Notes from the Master Taster:

Batch 01/03 - 125.6 proof/62.8% ABV, comprised of 46 barrels; fruit bomb
Nose: maple syrup and perfectly ripe orchard fruits, apricot and plum
Mid: açaí and black current
Finish: graham cracker, subtle peppermint, long well-rounded spice, moderately dry
Batch 02/03 - 126.4 proof/63.2% ABV, comprised of 48 barrels; sweet and spry
Nose: cherry cordial and raspberry preserves
Mid: French toast and chocolate malt
Finish: brilliant and perky spice at the front of the palate, touch of cedar, mildly dry
Batch 03/03 - 126.8 proof/63.4% ABV, comprised of 53 barrels; green and spice
Nose: dill and bright orange peel, hint of light brown sugar
Mid: sweetens in the middle to melon and pine
Finish: medium dry, tingling green peppercorns, rosemary, grapefruit peel, and lingering anise

A limited number of cases will be available nationally in October 2020 for a suggested retail price of $150. To learn where you can purchase Old Forester 150th Anniversary Bourbon, check out OldForester.com for a retailer near you

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Do you want to read about three more OF bottles we probably will never taste?

44aedaf1-3605-43ee-a524-baf4ae4c79fc-150_Three_Bottles_transparent.png?width=660&height=660&fit=crop&format=pjpg&auto=webp

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/old-forester-celebrates-150-year-history-with-limited-edition-bourbon-release-301135780.html

Yep Zykan hinted at this a few weeks ago on Bourbon Pursuit. I was hoping for something age stated. No details on ages blended,  mashbill, or rickhouse. Just proof, MSRP, and tasting notes. 

How stores release it will be interesting. If it’s a stand in line at opening deal, there’s very little chance I’ll get a bottle. 

It’s wishful thinking, but hopefully the taters will chance 150 harder than Birthday. They should be released at the same time. 

I first had Sam Houston in ~2000.  My BFF ran the dinner club at the stadium and I helped manage suites on game days.  I think they tested out Sam Houston at the club and we drank the shit out of it after games.  Didn't hear a thing about it for many years until recently and brought back a lot of memories seeing it on the shelf.  I need to pick up a bottle and give it a go.  

17 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Found this in the wild today. Looking forward to cracking it. 9a8ca00f1cbe7c4c2ce05784eff0662d.jpg

i saw it yesterday.  $114 sound about right?   It was higher than i expected so i passed.   

also found a bottle of kentucky owl dry state.  this has been on my list so i was excited and thought i scored.  turns out its $1000.  passed on that one too.

but what i did come home with was a sweetheart of the rodeo, and an old elk.  both were on my list so i was not too depressed about the kentucky owl.

In a world where you can get everything at MSRP, maybe it’s not worth that. But, we don’t live in that world. Looking at what $80 gets you in reality these days, it’s a damn fine deal. Super happy to have this in my collection.

I’ve been just as susceptible as the next guy, but there are few products out there that are subject to the scarcity effect more than bourbon, imo. $80 gets you some really, really great bourbon. But it doesn’t usually get you really great scarce bourbon.

Now, it could be so they can flip it or it could be to say “I got it” but I’d venture to guess that most (approaching all) people will pay a significant premium for the same quality bourbon compared to the readily available bottle simply because it’s scarce.

I’ve been just as susceptible as the next guy, but there are few products out there that are subject to the scarcity effect more than bourbon, imo. $80 gets you some really, really great bourbon. But it doesn’t usually get you really great scarce bourbon.

Now, it could be so they can flip it or it could be to say “I got it” but I’d venture to guess that most (approaching all) people will pay a significant premium for the same quality bourbon compared to the readily available bottle simply because it’s scarce.

70506b36a332722844a93cc42b6c3641.jpg

Totally agree. Except for some people that have the proper setup and can do this.

Now this was not me mind you. But a gentleman did sell it to me for cost. He’s a decent SOB truth be known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1

70506b36a332722844a93cc42b6c3641.jpg

Totally agree. Except for some people that have the proper setup and can do this.

Now this was not me mind you. But a gentleman did sell it to me for cost. He’s a decent SOB truth be known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s fantastic. I’ve been the beneficiary of dumb luck on bottles that I should have never been able to get my hands on for msrp.

I found out that the manager of the store near my house was putting a single rare bottle on the shelf once or twice a week just before the ‘17 BTAC release. I stopped in almost every day.

Paid $88/ea for a WLW, GTS, and 2 THH all within a 4-6 week stretch. Also paid msrp for 2 ETLs and a Blantons shortly before the BTAC goldmine. I know a few guys on here got some great stuff from the same store during that time.

I’ve kinda given up the hunt for the scarce ones because I’ll never in my life top that run.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Heads up, I just got two of these at Premier Fine Wine and Liquor on w. 18th in Houston. 4 bottles left right now. $55.99 each eeab18ad4bb3735b3f852d785113b233.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These hit about 3 months ago in DFW and were snatched up in about two days. Very good stuff. I know myself and BigD scored a couple and were both very pleased with the taste
  • Hook 'Em 2

Went into my tiny neighborhood store today. I've sorta lost my taste for hunting and big stores, so I've been lamenting with the owner about how distributors bait the stores into buying junk just to send them allocations. Being a low volume shop, they can't really afford to take in 5 cases of Dickel in exchange for a couple bottles of Blantons. Today, the distributor was in the store, so I gently nudged him to send this store more good stuff. He looked me in the eye and said "I don't have anything for sale, but do you want to try something?" to which I said "Sure!" He proceeds to go out to his van and come back with a bottle of Eagle Rare and says "this is made by the same distillery as Buffalo Trace and people can't get enough of it." Luckily, the mask hid my disdain. I thanked him for my little plastic shooter of ER10 and walked out with a 6-pack of craft beer. 

/csb

Edited by Eggo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

91f9d37bee9b2292de51f6137053f3de.jpg

I’ve avoided this one like the plague as it’s my last bottle. Now I remember why. Good lord this is a vanilla bomb and dangerously smooth for 122 proof. If you can make the distillery this year for the release I highly encourage you to do so

Haven’t had that one, but have been curious how it is.

This one on on the other hand is straight turpentine. Kinda figured it would be with how little I paid for it.

017fd1882f2a8b44ee9a14a0813c9252.jpg
  • Like 1

Haven’t had that one, but have been curious how it is.

This one on on the other hand is straight turpentine. Kinda figured it would be with how little I paid for it.

017fd1882f2a8b44ee9a14a0813c9252.jpg

The Texas Wheated and True Blue Cask Strength are my two favorite Balcones expressions. I’ll be honest I’m a Balcones fanboy but the second I saw that Pot Still release I told myself no way that’s anything I want a part of. Had it at their tasting room on my way home from the hunting at the farm last year and my suspicions were confirmed.

For as good as the Balcones boys can be, they’re very hit or miss. Put the Pot Still in the “miss” category along with Baby Blue.

38 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The Texas Wheated and True Blue Cask Strength are my two favorite Balcones expressions. I’ll be honest I’m a Balcones fanboy but the second I saw that Pot Still release I told myself no way that’s anything I want a part of. Had it at their tasting room on my way home from the hunting at the farm last year and my suspicions were confirmed.

For as good as the Balcones boys can be, they’re very hit or miss. Put the Pot Still in the “miss” category along with Baby Blue.

I guess I need to try the Texas Wheated because I hated the True Blue 

I did a blind tasting tonight, tried to use similar proofs.  Chose EH Taylor Small Batch (BiB), 10 Year McKenna (BiB), Old Forester 1897 (BiB) and Four Roses Small Batch Select (104 proof). Tried to guess which was which, was wrong on all of them. LMAO. 

Results:

Last place (by far):  Four Roses SBS  

Third Place (very good, close to top two): McKenna 10 year

Second Place - EH Taylor SB 

First Place: OF 1897

EDIT: was fulling expecting EH Taylor to be one of the worst, so that was a surprise. I guess my love of OF 1920 trickled down to 1897. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley