Bourbon

Jimbaround

Leaving politics out of it,
The women in my local group did a barrel pick.
And they chose this as the sticker as a tribute to a woman’s service to the country.
And the bourbon is incredible, first Woodford Double Oak I’ve had. Will be getting more.
6f44412b66d68cec35942d351e66adf0.jpg

04942b1cfda8db6f60ffdb1cfa163b47.jpg

Group is a national group on FB and has outstanding picks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Leaving politics out of it,
The women in my local group did a barrel pick.
And they chose this as the sticker as a tribute to a woman’s service to the country.
And the bourbon is incredible, first Woodford Double Oak I’ve had. Will be getting more.
6f44412b66d68cec35942d351e66adf0.jpg

04942b1cfda8db6f60ffdb1cfa163b47.jpg

Group is a national group on FB and has outstanding picks.

This is one of my "always available" go tos.  Just picked up a Specs pick myself.  It is some really good juice.

12 hours ago, Eggo said:

Just joined the Blackwell whiskey of the month club which is essentially just monthly store picks. First up is Woodinville. Anyone had luck? 

D1E14E6E-269F-476D-AD8A-A9703E9BED3A_1_2

My go to bourbons are EHT, OF or Roses. I have a nice collection of spirits, but those distillers work for me.

That said. I hate to admit it, but I’m a sucker for a good marketing campaign or unique bottles and labeling. I know it’s wrong, but I can’t help it. And I like the shit out of that bottle.

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

My go to bourbons are EHT, OF or Roses. I have a nice collection of spirits, but those distillers work for me.

That said. I hate to admit it, but I’m a sucker for a good marketing campaign or unique bottles and labeling. I know it’s wrong, but I can’t help it. And I like the shit out of that bottle.

I'm just the opposite. If I think its a gimmicky bottle, name or over the top labelling I'm probably not gonna buy it. It usually means they're dressing up a pig in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/7/2020 at 7:04 AM, Neonmoon said:

It’s 5 year old wheated Rebel from Luxe Row. Taste it and let us know

Tried it last night.  It's not terrible, but there are so many other bourbons for around the same price that taste better to me.   The taste profile on this is hard for me to nail down, but there seems to be a lot of what seems to be butterscotch, which isn't my bag.  The mouthfeel is kind of thin, and there's an element of funkiness in there that's a little off-putting to me.  Maybe it'll end up growing on me, but for now I'm not a fan.

At the end of the day, for around the same price or not much more I can get some 4RSB, OF1910, or ER10,  all of which I like better.  Yeah, yeah -- I know they aren't wheaters, so that's a little bit of an apples vs. oranges comparison.  But if we're talking wheaters for $40 or less, I 'd probably take garden-variety Larceny over this stuff.  (I can't get Weller for anywhere near $40 out here.)  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm just the opposite. If I think its a gimmicky bottle, name or over the top labelling I'm probably not gonna buy it. It usually means they're dressing up a pig in my opinion.

Agreed.  Touched on this in the beer thread when folks were questioning a particular brand because of its marketing.

"But the beer is freaking good."

"yeah, but I'm just not into them..."

I don't get it.  I buy it for a great product experience, not identifying with the marketing or how purdy the label is.

6 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Tried it last night.  It's not terrible, but there are so many other bourbons for around the same price that taste better to me.   The taste profile on this is hard for me to nail down, but there seems to be a lot of what seems to be butterscotch, which isn't my bag.  The mouthfeel is kind of thin, and there's an element of funkiness in there that's a little off-putting to me.  Maybe it'll end up growing on me, but for now I'm not a fan.

At the end of the day, for around the same price or not much more I can get some 4RSB, OF1910, or ER10,  all of which I like better.  Yeah, yeah -- I know they aren't wheaters, so that's a little bit of an apples vs. oranges comparison.  But if we're talking wheaters for $40 or less, I 'd probably take garden-variety Larceny over this stuff.  (I can't get Weller for anywhere near $40 out here.)  

Thanks I won’t waste my time then. 

6 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

i have a rebel ($40) and ezra ($35) from the series coming tomorrow, also from k&l.  my plan is to sample both in the next week or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

1bbeedd03a860542b073f315161ea1e6.jpg

Finally opened this last night. My god. Was a tiny bit wary of the lower proof but it’s a rich cherry/oak bomb. The nose is incredible and the finish was damn satisfying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a great bottle and I grabbed as many as I could when they were around. Tons of age on that one with the Turkey spice, love it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, huge said:

duly impressed.

I have a friend that got RHF and OF150 in San Antonio this week.

I have a MWND coming my way.

It's been a minute on Rock Hill Farms. I remember it being better than Blanton's, but not better than Blanton's SFTB. It'd be close between RHF and Hancock's Reserve. I'd have to do a side by side. 

The best OF 150 reviews I've read was from Paste Magazine. Link: https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/whiskey/old-forester-150th-anniversary-bourbon-review-batch-proof/

It sounds like Batch 3 is the most unique tasting with the best finish while Batches 1 and 2 hit the more traditional bourbon notes. I have no idea how my home store selected or was assigned the Batches. I could see Batch 1 being the most highly sought after because it is the smallest release. That said, the Bourbon Junkies panned Batch 1,  giving it a grade of B- and C+. Flippers don't care what it tastes like it if it sells.

The MWND releases are hard to figure. After the 2018 release, I thought High West was making enough MWND for it to go from allocated to glass case/limited availability. It appears to be back to allocated as I only received one bottle in 2019, and one bottle this year. 

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Picked up a MWND, Bourye, and Double Rye store pick over the last week or so. 

Only opened the Bourye so far, but really like it. 

I like Bourye, but it's not priced well. I'd didn't love it at $70 at Total Wine, and now I see it's gone up to $90. I'd say it's worth it if you've never tried it, but it's not worth stocking up on. Off of the top of my head, it is the best bourbon/rye blend out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=883]ISUCyclones[/mention] might correct me here, but I believe Pappy is a lottery only deal in Kentuck’. 
I didn't want to tell him, but the pappy fountain is kept hush hush. Can't let the out of towners get in...

But yeah pretty much lottery or regulars only if not lottery. Same as king of Kentucky and basically every special release now. If by some grace of God they did put it on the shelf, you better already be in the store because it's gone in 2 minutes in nky. I'm talking even wsr and eht sb and regular shit like that are gone within 30 min when it gets posted to Facebook by a bourbon group.

Insanity nowadays