Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

SE4 X PR5. Hmm, it’s good, but I wanted more. Just a pretty straightforward wheater lacking in complexity. Really thin finish. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That said, I think it’d beat the cork top Antique in a blind test. 

Disagree. But maybe I should do a blind and find out. 

14 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Just did a quick blind with MM SE4 X PR5 and Antique 107. I definitely preferred the A107. 

The noses are sweet and similar, but for me the MM has a straight dry wood-y palate/finish. It's not off-putting, but quite the contrast. The 107's overall profile feels more consistent. 

Cork top Antique or twist top? 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Had to post the Bulleit pics cause I never see that many big bottles in the wild anymore, tears are shed over that beauty-full site, and anyone know anything about the WT Kentucky Spirit single barrel ?  Yay or nay ?

FullSizeRender-202 copy.jpg

FullSizeRender-202 copy 2.jpg

I like Rare Breed better than Kentucky Spirit, but if you want to try something different, Spirit is a great option. 

Had to post the Bulleit pics cause I never see that many big bottles in the wild anymore, tears are shed over that beauty-full site, and anyone know anything about the WT Kentucky Spirit single barrel ?  Yay or nay ?

I like Kentucky Spirit a lot, but it’s relatively easy to find single barrels which are typically insanely good and 10+ years old. They’re more low key than Russell’s picks or Rare Breed, more in line with the Master’s Keep Decades and 17 yr BiB profile. If you’re in TX ask your local Spec’s guy to see if any stores around you have any sitting around.  They had at least 4 barrels in Austin/SA this summer and sold them at the same price as regular KS. 

all you're missing is one of those little bar-top video game machine things with the "spot the differences" game (and a bunch of other games).  seriously, you should get one.

Funny enough, we were talking about games last night... no room for Golden Tee, but one of those tabletop jobs could be choice.

Balanced out the left side today.

f01a045d72e505f8d376987f49a67f3c.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

My basement this Holiday Season: 
Old Rip Van Winkle
or
Lot B 
AND 
Handy
I won’t list my ceiling because I don’t want to jinx myself.

The hope as always is Pappy and Die Hard on Christmas Eve. 

WLW is so much better than any of the Pappy’s.
Only Pappy I would consider buying and drinking would be the 15.
Anything else would be flipped to procur other BTAC bottles.

Lot B is overpriced Weller 12.

My opinion. Yours may vary.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

WLW is so much better than any of the Pappy’s.
Only Pappy I would consider buying and drinking would be the 15.
Anything else would be flipped to procur other BTAC bottles.

Lot B is overpriced Weller 12.

My opinion. Yours may vary.

I really liked Old Rip Van Winkle. Much better than Lot B. WLW is better than Lot B. 

ORVW won a taste test last year between Lot B, 15, and WLW. It doesn’t make sense to me either. 

The BTACs /Pappys I’ve had: 

1) 2019 ORVW 

2) 2018 WLW

3) 2019 GTS

4) Pappy 23 

5) Pappy 15

6)2017 Handy 

7) 2018 Lot B

8.)2017 GTS 

People hated on the low proof, but 2019 GTS was a banger. 

I love WLW, but I wish they’d age it a few more years.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 11/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, Fud said:

I'm adding this thread to my daily bourbon check-ins, along with the bourbon threads on OBs and the Rivals MB, and IT's booze thread. 

I got into bourbon (and a little rye) probably around early August, and here are some thots

- I'm not a fan of run of the mill wheaters; Wellers SR, Markers Mark, and Larceny Small Batch don't do a lot for me, and end up just sitting on the shelf. The Wellers Antique is good stuff though, so I'm wondering if a step up makes the difference for me here. I might buy a Makers Private Select soon to test this out, and I'm always on the look out for W12 to try

- I've found a lot of cheaper bottles that are good daily drinkers for me that are easily available; Evan Williams BIB, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Beam BIB, Beam Single Barrel, Beam Black, Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig Small Batch, 1792 Small Batch... I've found two bottles of Eagle Rare, but that's not easily available for me. I recently landed a bottle of EHT Small Batch, and am very much looking forward to opening it this weekend 

- At a little higher price point, Four Roses Single Barrell, Four Roses Small Batch Select, Woodford Double Oaked, and 1792 Barrell Proof are all really good. Recently bought a Belle Meade Reserve and a store pick George Remus Cask Strength; don't have strong opinions on them yet, although they seem solid. Thought Old Forrester Prohibition Style and 1792 Single Barrell were just ok

- Blanton's is fine for a lower proof neat pour, but it's nothing special. If I see it at a decent price point, I'll buy it, but it don't think it's worth drinking around looking for 

- Bottles I've gotten that I flat out don't like; Angel's Envy Bourbon, Jefferson Very Small Batch, and Old Forrester Single Barrell (think it was a TW store pick). I've started making coctails with them, but I'd rather just drink the bourbons I like 

- I have a couple bottles of various Balcones that I really liked until I started drinking these other bourbons, and now they all taste like shit to me. The best is Blue Strenght, but it's still swill to me

- Until I bought Booker's Boston Batch this week, the previous most expensive bourbon I'd bought was Booker's Granny's Batch (I think it was somewhere around $75, but I don't remember exactly). Haven't opened Boston yet, but Granny's is my favorite bottle that I've bought so far, so I'm happy that paying up a little bit was worth it in this case; a lot of flavors going on there, and it packs a punch

- Ryes: Whistlepig 10 is outstanding, Sazarac is really damn good for its price point, High West Double Rye and Rendezvous taste the same to me (both good), and I have a bottle of Whitmeyers Store pick that I'm unsure what to think about at this point

- Some non-Bourbon/Rye liquors in my stash that I really like; Nikka Coffey Grain, Redbreast 12, and Zapaca 23 

- I haven't found anything that's difficult to find at Specs or TW, but I stop by TW from time to time in hopes of getting lucky, since they seem to put their allocated stuff out on the shelves. Unfortunately the TW on the way home from work (Sawyer Heights) gets a lot of traffic, and is generally picked dry quickly. The Midtown Specs near home never has shit and they try to sell you overpriced dogshit, and I mostly go there to find season craft beer. I have a mom and pop place by work that I buy a cheap or middle ranged bottle at weekly, and I gave them a list of bourbons to save for me or to try and get, and I've been rewarded with a Blanton's, an ER, a Wellers Antique, and an EHT SB. I also just bought my Bookers Boston from them instead of elsewhere. Their stuff tends to be $3-$5 more than the Total Wine types, but it's worth it if they keep landing me bottles. Also I buy a store picked bottle from Ryan's Liquor from time to time so I can participate in their December allocated raffle. 

- I'm on the prowl for MWND, Elmer T Lee, Wellers 12, Wellers Full Proof, and Rock Hill Farms

Cheers, hook'em. 

I have all of those. Your palate is 

On 11/13/2020 at 8:58 AM, Fud said:

I'm adding this thread to my daily bourbon check-ins, along with the bourbon threads on OBs and the Rivals MB, and IT's booze thread. 

I got into bourbon (and a little rye) probably around early August, and here are some thots

- I'm not a fan of run of the mill wheaters; Wellers SR, Markers Mark, and Larceny Small Batch don't do a lot for me, and end up just sitting on the shelf. The Wellers Antique is good stuff though, so I'm wondering if a step up makes the difference for me here. I might buy a Makers Private Select soon to test this out, and I'm always on the look out for W12 to try

- I've found a lot of cheaper bottles that are good daily drinkers for me that are easily available; Evan Williams BIB, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Beam BIB, Beam Single Barrel, Beam Black, Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig Small Batch, 1792 Small Batch... I've found two bottles of Eagle Rare, but that's not easily available for me. I recently landed a bottle of EHT Small Batch, and am very much looking forward to opening it this weekend 

- At a little higher price point, Four Roses Single Barrell, Four Roses Small Batch Select, Woodford Double Oaked, and 1792 Barrell Proof are all really good. Recently bought a Belle Meade Reserve and a store pick George Remus Cask Strength; don't have strong opinions on them yet, although they seem solid. Thought Old Forrester Prohibition Style and 1792 Single Barrell were just ok

- Blanton's is fine for a lower proof neat pour, but it's nothing special. If I see it at a decent price point, I'll buy it, but it don't think it's worth drinking around looking for 

- Bottles I've gotten that I flat out don't like; Angel's Envy Bourbon, Jefferson Very Small Batch, and Old Forrester Single Barrell (think it was a TW store pick). I've started making coctails with them, but I'd rather just drink the bourbons I like 

- I have a couple bottles of various Balcones that I really liked until I started drinking these other bourbons, and now they all taste like shit to me. The best is Blue Strenght, but it's still swill to me

- Until I bought Booker's Boston Batch this week, the previous most expensive bourbon I'd bought was Booker's Granny's Batch (I think it was somewhere around $75, but I don't remember exactly). Haven't opened Boston yet, but Granny's is my favorite bottle that I've bought so far, so I'm happy that paying up a little bit was worth it in this case; a lot of flavors going on there, and it packs a punch

- Ryes: Whistlepig 10 is outstanding, Sazarac is really damn good for its price point, High West Double Rye and Rendezvous taste the same to me (both good), and I have a bottle of Whitmeyers Store pick that I'm unsure what to think about at this point

- Some non-Bourbon/Rye liquors in my stash that I really like; Nikka Coffey Grain, Redbreast 12, and Zapaca 23 

- I haven't found anything that's difficult to find at Specs or TW, but I stop by TW from time to time in hopes of getting lucky, since they seem to put their allocated stuff out on the shelves. Unfortunately the TW on the way home from work (Sawyer Heights) gets a lot of traffic, and is generally picked dry quickly. The Midtown Specs near home never has shit and they try to sell you overpriced dogshit, and I mostly go there to find season craft beer. I have a mom and pop place by work that I buy a cheap or middle ranged bottle at weekly, and I gave them a list of bourbons to save for me or to try and get, and I've been rewarded with a Blanton's, an ER, a Wellers Antique, and an EHT SB. I also just bought my Bookers Boston from them instead of elsewhere. Their stuff tends to be $3-$5 more than the Total Wine types, but it's worth it if they keep landing me bottles. Also I buy a store picked bottle from Ryan's Liquor from time to time so I can participate in their December allocated raffle. 

- I'm on the prowl for MWND, Elmer T Lee, Wellers 12, Wellers Full Proof, and Rock Hill Farms

Cheers, hook'em. 

Man. Just a lot to unpack here. Maybe tap the brakes. If somebody asked you if you liked bourbon, what would you say? If they asked you what was your favorite, what would you say, and why?

im really not trying to be insulting here, but this reads like you are chasing to chase or collect experiences. Do you like bourbon? What’s your favorite? Why?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I have all of those. Your palate is 

Man. Just a lot to unpack here. Maybe tap the brakes. If somebody asked you if you liked bourbon, what would you say? If they asked you what was your favorite, what would you say, and why?

im really not trying to be insulting here, but this reads like you are chasing to chase or collect experiences. Do you like bourbon? What’s your favorite? Why?

What the fuck are you talking about?

40 minutes ago, Fud said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

What I’m talking about is that I don’t understand your palate other than that you don’t seem to like wheaters (or maybe vanilla and shortbread?), so I asked some questions to try. 

At the risk of repeating myself-

1) People don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find. 
2) The best bourbon is often hard to get, but the hardest bourbon to get us not usually the best. 
3) All good blends are better than all but the best single barrels, and only the absolute best individual barrels are better than the best blends.
4) There’s plenty of good bourbon.
5) Until somebody drinks it, it isn’t any good.

so again, what do you like about the things that you like? I’ve got OFBB, MWND, RHF, ETL, W12, WLW, Stagg, RY10, McKenna 10, and others on hand. I like the relatively cheap and widely available OF1910 more than all those except two. Not because it’s “better,” but because it’s a better match for my palate. 

if you were creating an ideal bourbon, what would it taste like?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What I’m talking about is that I don’t understand your palate other than that you don’t seem to like wheaters (or maybe vanilla and shortbread?), so I asked some questions to try. 

At the risk of repeating myself-

1) People don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find. 
2) The best bourbon is often hard to get, but the hardest bourbon to get us not usually the best. 
3) All good blends are better than all but the best single barrels, and only the absolute best individual barrels are better than the best blends.
4) There’s plenty of good bourbon.
5) Until somebody drinks it, it isn’t any good.

so again, what do you like about the things that you like? I’ve got OFBB, MWND, RHF, ETL, W12, WLW, Stagg, RY10, McKenna 10, and others on hand. I like the relatively cheap and widely available OF1910 more than all those except two. Not because it’s “better,” but because it’s a better match for my palate. 

if you were creating an ideal bourbon, what would it taste like?

I was wondering why you were asking "do you like bourbon?". 

So far, I really like Four Roses Small Batch Select and Single Barrel, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Buffalo Trace, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and 10 Year, and 1792 Small Batch and Full Proof. My favorite so far is Granny's Batch, but it's a level more expensive than the rest. Blanton's is good too, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to try and find. I've found some cheap bottles that I like too, but not as much as the others, like Beam BIB Single Barrel and Black. I like Weller's Antique, but Makers Mark and Wellers SR are bland to me. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I was wondering why you were asking "do you like bourbon?". 

So far, I really like Four Roses Small Batch Select and Single Barrel, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig Small Batch, Buffalo Trace, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel and 10 Year, and 1792 Small Batch and Full Proof. My favorite so far is Granny's Batch, but it's a level more expensive than the rest. Blanton's is good too, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle to try and find. I've found some cheap bottles that I like too, but not as much as the others, like Beam BIB Single Barrel and Black. I like Weller's Antique, but Makers Mark and Wellers SR are bland to me. 

Ok, so we’re getting somewhere. I think you don’t like wheaters or a strong sweet caramel/vanilla profile. I think you like relatively high rye bourbon with strong white pepper and grass notes. How do you feel about Bulleit and Wild Turkey 101?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Ok, so we’re getting somewhere. I think you don’t like wheaters or a strong sweet caramel/vanilla profile. I think you like relatively high rye bourbon with strong white pepper and grass notes. How do you feel about Bulleit and Wild Turkey 101?

I like 101, don’t have a strong opinion on Bulleit

Lots of walls of text today, so I bought a Buddha’s hand for the zest and made a ridiculously good old fashioned with the new Old Scout Rye, some Demerara syrup, a little angostura and a couple luxardos. 

And for a nightcap and SNF, Smokewagon UU neat.  It really is a killer bottle for $57.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Unless you like Garrison Brothers. Then you can GTFO

Them fighting words for @GreenspointTexas

I do like the laissez-faire attitude of this thread. A lot of people would shit on anything not made in Kentucky or Indiana, but this thread told me about Woodinville.

5 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Am I missing something? Do they make a 1.75 handle and also a rare half gallon?

Half gallon is just the generic old school term for what's become the 1.75 ml. bottle. 

It's not the 750 ml or "fifth" size bottle I was referring to. It was the big bottles.  I hadn't seen half gal. or excuse me, 1.75 ml size Bulleit bottles in a long while.  Just like the Eagle Rare 1.75 ml bottles that used to be so plentiful.

And fuck the metric system anyway. This is American bourbon we're talking about here......... dammit ! Not some damned Russian potato vodka !  :)

It's pint, fifth, and half gallon thank you very much.  The judges would accept "handle" as well, but there ain't no handle on big boy Bulleit bottles.

Half gallon is just the generic old school term for what's become the 1.75 ml. bottle. 

It's not the 750 ml or "fifth" size bottle I was referring to. It was the big bottles.  I hadn't seen half gal. or excuse me, 1.75 ml size Bulleit bottles in a long while.  Just like the Eagle Rare 1.75 ml bottles that used to be so plentiful.

And fuck the metric system anyway. This is American bourbon we're talking about here......... dammit ! Not some damned Russian potato vodka !  :)

It's pint, fifth, and half gallon thank you very much.  The judges would accept "handle" as well, but there ain't no handle on big boy Bulleit bottles.

I miss the quart. For when a fifth just isn’t quite enough but you aren’t a half gallon level degenerate. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Ok. And like I said yesterday, that is a $42 bottle in most places. 

51 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Ok. And like I said yesterday, that is a $42 bottle in most places. 

$42 for 1.75 Liter bottles ?  NC, and VA. sells their liquor thru state run ABC stores, and they sell at MSRP or less only.  A 750 ml bottle is $34 all day long around here, and Va.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Stopped in a store in Chattanooga. They didn’t have anything special after searching, but they did have cases and cases of an ER single barrel store pick just sitting out in the open untouched. I’m drinking it now. It’s great. These bottles would scooped up in 20 minutes in Texas 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2