Bourbon

Jimbaround

14 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Holy Hell this stuff is fantastic! Was $65 amd is a flavor bomb. I’m bad at tasting notes, best I can do is cinnamon and spice, almost some dark chocolate, coats the tongue and lingers nicely. I’m not sure how to describe this, but I can feel the alcohol burn as almost an additional flavor as opposed to just heat. I might try to get a second tomorrow if they still have it.

AA44D704-9788-4CBA-917F-4AAF1A07FDA7.jpeg

So while I was in my ~2 year craft beer phase, various bottles of Balcones were my go-to for whiskey, and this bottle was my favorite of the bunch. Now that I'm regularly drinking bourbon, most of their bottles taste like piss, and I gave away/left at parties several bottles. Kept this one though, but I tried it the other day, and it doesn't hold up to what I'm drinking otherwise for me. But it's still best of the bunch. 

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

So while I was in my ~2 year craft beer phase, various bottles of Balcones were my go-to for whiskey, and this bottle was my favorite of the bunch. Now that I'm regularly drinking bourbon, most of their bottles taste like piss, and I gave away/left at parties several bottles. Kept this one though, but I tried it the other day, and it doesn't hold up to what I'm drinking otherwise for me. But it's still best of the bunch. 

Weird. If you had switched to single malt scotch it might make sense. But if you’re drinking bourbon it’s odd that Balcones corn whisky tastes that bad to you. Baby Blue is pretty weak but this and TB 100 are dang good. I’ve still never had Blue Corn Bourbon.

35 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

It’s stupid good - Easily my favorite of their offerings.

I’m pissed that I’ll miss this year’s Penny release, but I’m headed to the promised land, so hopefully it all works out.

Good to hear you’ll be in Texas for The Holidays. Or that’s what i assume it means. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

My collection is shit compared to all of you guys. After some secondary got shut down (I don’t do FB, it’s hydra), it’s hard for me to get some of the rarer bottles. Which is probably for the best. I have about 20 show bottles. Favorites I’ve drank over the years. For example I have a Parker’s Heritage Promise of Hope. I drank that at a hotel bar up in Portland and was blown away, and had to get a bottle. I have an Old Scout SiB 10 year. Twin Liquors guy recommend it to me when I was first getting into bourbon in 2016. (Before it became hoarded) It was one of the first bourbons that I could really appreciate the difference taste wise with the rye spice kick. So had to get another bottle. If I drink something that is truly memorable, I try to get a second bottle, but that doesn’t always happen/work out. 

I only have about 5 open bottles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

My collection is shit compared to all of you guys. After some secondary got shut down (I don’t do FB, it’s hydra), it’s hard for me to get some of the rarer bottles. Which is probably for the best. I have about 20 show bottles. Favorites I’ve drank over the years. For example I have a Parker’s Heritage Promise of Hope. I drank that at a hotel bar up in Portland and was blown away, and had to get a bottle. I have an Old Scout SiB 10 year. Twin Liquors guy recommend it to me when I was first getting into bourbon in 2016. (Before it became hoarded) It was one of the first bourbons that I could really appreciate the difference taste wise with the rye spice kick. So had to get another bottle. If I drink something that is truly memorable, I try to get a second bottle, but that doesn’t always happen/work out. 

I only have about 5 open bottles. 

I had a pour of George T Stagg at Nobu 57 in Manhattan last Thanksgiving. It may have been the numerous sakes I had beforehand, but that glass felt like a warm holiday hug from my grandma. I've been hunting for it ever since and would pay for it, but the hunt continues.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I could have sworn that was an un opened bottle last night.

FullSizeRender-206.jpg

That picture looks like about how I feel.

New neighbor showed up at a get together with a 1.75 of W12 and we demolished it.  He's going to be a welcome addition.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, huge said:

That picture looks like about how I feel.

New neighbor showed up at a get together with a 1.75 of W12 and we demolished it.  He's going to be a welcome addition.

Sounds like that neighbor is a keeper.  Yep one of our bourbon drinking, fishing buds showed up just as I was cracking it open last night.... it didn't stand a chance.  

A couple years ago my Lieutenant and his 13 year old son came out to the deer lease for a couple days with me. He’s one of the best people I know and he likes good brown water but he doesn’t know anything about getting anything decent. I packed an unopened Blanton’s, ETL, and a half full ER SP from Binny’s.

We cooked some 1.5” ribeyes and started in on the ripple while the boy went down to the river and started calling coyotes. Had the campfire going and speakers blaring Robert Earl and whatnot. Next thing I know a damn yote goes streaking through the middle of camp headed straight for his son. I stood up to holler at him and immediately had to sit down. Looked at the bottles and the ER was gone, Blanton’s was half full and Elmer was down to about 1/3.

Got up at 4:30 the next morning to head to the stand and opened the camper door and on the deck was that 1/3 Elmer bottle sitting there with a sparkling layer of frost on it. He and I killed that bottle and it might have been the most satisfying drink I’ve ever had. Fell asleep in the blind and woke up as the feeder went off. Ten minutes later a perfectly symmetrical ten appeared and he now hangs on my wall.

Tldr;CSB: good company makes whiskey disappear insanely quick

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

A couple years ago my Lieutenant and his 13 year old son came out to the deer lease for a couple days with me. He’s one of the best people I know and he likes good brown water but he doesn’t know anything about getting anything decent. I packed an unopened Blanton’s, ETL, and a half full ER SP from Binny’s.

We cooked some 1.5” ribeyes and started in on the ripple while the boy went down to the river and started calling coyotes. Had the campfire going and speakers blaring Robert Earl and whatnot. Next thing I know a damn yote goes streaking through the middle of camp headed straight for his son. I stood up to holler at him and immediately had to sit down. Looked at the bottles and the ER was gone, Blanton’s was half full and Elmer was down to about 1/3.

Got up at 4:30 the next morning to head to the stand and opened the camper door and on the deck was that 1/3 Elmer bottle sitting there with a sparkling layer of frost on it. He and I killed that bottle and it might have been the most satisfying drink I’ve ever had. Fell asleep in the blind and woke up as the feeder went off. Ten minutes later a perfectly symmetrical ten appeared and he now hangs on my wall.

Tldr;CSB: good company makes whiskey disappear insanely quick

Last year our company was sold and the old owner had me and two other coworkers out to his ranch outside Tulsa to hunt.  We had gotten him hooked on better bourbon as he was a regular Makers guy and we bought him Blantons for the previous Christmas.  So he's hooked.  We took two bottles of Blantons Gold to the ranch and polished them both off the first night.  His buddy threw up all over the bathroom and one of the coworkers couldn't get out of bed the next day.  Similar story but different ending.

• Like 2

Last year our company was sold and the old owner had me and two other coworkers out to his ranch outside Tulsa to hunt.  We had gotten him hooked on better bourbon as he was a regular Makers guy and we bought him Blantons for the previous Christmas.  So he's hooked.  We took two bottles of Blantons Gold to the ranch and polished them both off the first night.  His buddy threw up all over the bathroom and one of the coworkers couldn't get out of bed the next day.  Similar story but different ending.

Is it not just the coolest damn feeling to take someone that “likes” whiskey but has no clue what real good whiskey is, and turn them on to the good stuff?? My Lt. in the story above was a basic Beam drinker and would occasionally “splurge” on TX. I totally ruined him in the best way possible lol

As a result of peaking in on this thread, I am looking to expand my horizons on my bourbon drinking.  First a little history on how I came to like bourbon.  I used to be a beer drinker but I didn't like the way I felt so full after just a couple of beers.  I started drinking some Canadian blends because I had always drank whiskey with soda.  Sprite was my choice of mix.  The Canadian blends (CC, Crown) started getting a little too sweet for me so I switched to bourbon.  I started with Maker's and Gentleman Jack and the gravitated to Bulleit.  A few years ago I ditched the mixers (Sprite or Sprite Zero) and now just mix it with water.  I'm a drinker not a sipper, so I like to mix my bourbon with water or the big gulps I take would have me on the floor pretty quickly if I drank it neat.  I recently bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve and goddamn is it good.  I like it better than Bulleit, but Bulleit is a better value and probably won't be replaced as my "daily" drinker.  So where do I go from here as far as branching out a little now that this may give you a little insight into my pallet.  I don't really like Ryes so that isn't really an option.  I'm not opposed to paying for a good bottle, but I'd like to stay reasonable as well.  One other note, I am not a drunk by any means or an alcoholic.  I limit my drinking to two or three nights a week depending on my meeting schedule the next morning, but I really like drinking and it is difficult for me to just have one drink.  If I pour one, I'm likely to pour 4, 5, or 6 before calling it a night so going through a $100 bottle in a couple of nights isn't really feasible for me. Thanks in advance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

As a result of peaking in on this thread, I am looking to expand my horizons on my bourbon drinking.  First a little history on how I came to like bourbon.  I used to be a beer drinker but I didn't like the way I felt so full after just a couple of beers.  I started drinking some Canadian blends because I had always drank whiskey with soda.  Sprite was my choice of mix.  The Canadian blends (CC, Crown) started getting a little too sweet for me so I switched to bourbon.  I started with Maker's and Gentleman Jack and the gravitated to Bulleit.  A few years ago I ditched the mixers (Sprite or Sprite Zero) and now just mix it with water.  I'm a drinker not a sipper, so I like to mix my bourbon with water or the big gulps I take would have me on the floor pretty quickly if I drank it neat.  I recently bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve and goddamn is it good.  I like it better than Bulleit, but Bulleit is a better value and probably won't be replaced as my "daily" drinker.  So where do I go from here as far as branching out a little now that this may give you a little insight into my pallet.  I don't really like Ryes so that isn't really an option.  I'm not opposed to paying for a good bottle, but I'd like to stay reasonable as well.  One other note, I am not a drunk by any means or an alcoholic.  I limit my drinking to two or three nights a week depending on my meeting schedule the next morning, but I really like drinking and it is difficult for me to just have one drink.  If I pour one, I'm likely to pour 4, 5, or 6 before calling it a night so going through a $100 bottle in a couple of nights isn't really feasible for me. Thanks in advance. 

I’m in a similar boat, but i like to sip my bourbon with one or two small ice cubes. I don’t chase the hard to get stuff. I mainly drink Weller SR and WT 101. At my club I can get a great pour of Blanton’s for $13 so I drink it fairly often but I never go out of my way to find a bottle. When I’m really feeling cheap I find that Benchmark 8 and Ezra Bottled in Bond are very drinkable. About as high as I go are Rare Breed, High West and OF1920 or 1910 which I can easily find in Houston. Michter’s also is a reasonable splurge. Lucky for me, I suppose, every time I blind taste the above reasonably priced bourbons against some allocated expensive stuff, I really can’t tell a meaningful difference.

46 minutes ago, Hate said:

If I were you and didn't like rye, I'd move away from Bulleit (corn & rye) and into Buffalo Trace (corn, rye, and barley). Wild Turkey 101 is also an incredible value and knocks the shit out of Bulleit at comparable prices. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I’d give Rare Breed Rye  a bar try as an introduction to ryes. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Depending on how big a pour you do for your 4-6 drinks, you might want to stick around the 90 proof range like Woodford. I would suggest Eagle Rare, but you're probably not going to find it anywhere, but it's a great 90 proof bourbon. Buffalo Trace would be a great bourbon to drink for your daily drinker. I would also recommend Old Forester 1910 or 1870 but those cost the same as Woodford. Seek out Evan Williams Single Barrel. It's around $30 and very tasty neat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Buffalo Trace
Four Roses Small Batch Select
Russell's Reserve

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ha, well, actually the in-laws are meeting us halfway in Nashville. I’ll be spending a good amount of time across the border in Kentucky with my FiL just fucking around looking for bottles.
Nashville honestly has good liquor stores too and I seem to always find good store picks there. Cork dorks and a few others have been good to me
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hate said:

In addition to the other recommendations 

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Old Grandad 114

both are easy to find and pair well with 89 Grateful Dead.

• Like 1

In addition to the other recommendations 
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Old Grandad 114
both are easy to find and pair well with 89 Grateful Dead.

Druggist knows what’s up!! Tonight will be Woodford, kind hud, and GD...I’m not sure about the year for the GD yet.

2 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

The first barrel pick of Stagg jr is being raffled off by st Jude. Bourbon nerds have already bid it up to 32,000 and that doesn't include the cost of the barrel itself, just the ability to buy it!

Oh.  I was talking about the regular Stagg, Jr. that's been dropping around Austin.

3 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

The first barrel pick of Stagg jr is being raffled off by st Jude. Bourbon nerds have already bid it up to 32,000 and that doesn't include the cost of the barrel itself, just the ability to buy it!

and people think there's wealth inequality in this country....

Nashville honestly has good liquor stores too and I seem to always find good store picks there. Cork dorks and a few others have been good to me

If you have any other recommendations I am ALL ears smile.png

Additionally, if you know of any stores / tasting rooms in driving distance of Nashville please do let me know!

7 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Took a flier on this bad boy today. Had heard good things and, well, look at that majestic beast up top!

abc8bc59e1079d1ebf8ed498f7751f1b.jpg

Will report back tonight...

Meanwhile, I posted construction pics of the bar if you’re interested in the process:

https://imgur.com/gallery/te4lzVX

i love this bottle, but it looks like rock hill farms fucked a blantons.

curious to hear how it tastes.  when i get too far under 90 proof it's typically too sweet for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you have any other recommendations I am ALL ears smile.png

Additionally, if you know of any stores / tasting rooms in driving distance of Nashville please do let me know!
Midtown corkdorks seemed like it had the most and best store picks last summer (2019), frugal Macdoogle was also a good one. We hit up greenbrier distillery (belle meade) to do a tour and that was fun. Saw Weller 12 at a downtown liquor shop for 175 but I declined that one. Corsair distillery was interesting and a block from greenbrier, but I don't know if I would recommend the whiskey. Yazoo brewery is pretty awesome and Tennessee brew works was good too. I'll try to think of some more.

Edit: west end discount liquor seems like I scored a few things too.
  • Like 1

i love this bottle, but it looks like rock hill farms fucked a blantons.
curious to hear how it tastes.  when i get too far under 90 proof it's typically too sweet for me.

It’s quite curious and generally underproofed for my taste, but I can see it as a nice change of pace when you’re looking to pump the brakes later in the evening.

So, if you’ve had Jameson 18, which I recommend if you’re feeling the luck of the Irish, it has a number of parallels, but tastes like you put it on a single cube and then left the roof for half an hour. It lacks bite all together, but it has a lovely nose and goes down easy without overwhelming you with sweetness.

TL/DR if you’re a high proofer then pass, but your wife will probably like it.

It’s quite curious and generally underproofed for my taste, but I can see it as a nice change of pace when you’re looking to pump the brakes later in the evening.

So, if you’ve had Jameson 18, which I recommend if you’re feeling the luck of the Irish, it has a number of parallels, but tastes like you put it on a single cube and then left the roof for half an hour. It lacks bite all together, but it has a lovely nose and goes down easy without overwhelming you with sweetness.

TL/DR if you’re a high proofer then pass, but your wife will probably like it.

Well said. I just always warn people that it definitely tastes like a Canadian whisky. I don’t know what that necessarily means, other than I know exactly what that means. Lol. It’s very smooth and after that initial sip, I always enjoy the pour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk