Bourbon

Jimbaround

I used the original recipe upthread. 500 ml Weller Special Reserve, 250 ml OG114. I’d say it’s a winner. Certainly better than WSR and much better than OGD114. I strongly dislike OGD114 for the record. 

It’s pretty good, but I wouldn’t waste Stagg Jr on it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

I used the original recipe upthread. 500 ml Weller Special Reserve, 250 ml OG114. I’d say it’s a winner. Certainly better than WSR and much better than OGD114. I strongly dislike OGD114 for the record. 

It’s pretty good, but I wouldn’t waste Stagg Jr on it. 
Nice, I'll have to make a small batch to try it out

Nice, I'll have to make a small batch to try it out

Someone suggested I offset anywhere from 2-4% or so of the OGD114 with some Eagle Rare. For only a few ounces I figured it was worth the experiment since I had a few extra bottles in inventory. Really enjoyed that batch. Have another one in the hopper looking to hit 4 months around Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

How good is EC18? Is it tree fiddy ($350) good?

That’s more than $100 over secondary.  I generally try to avoid paying secondary but EC18 has no competitors at the $225 secondary value so I don’t really mind it.  But paying more than it would take to have it show up on your doorstep is madness. 

A handle of Woodford in a single weekend. 
image.gif.d18ca2d4f58f347bcd069b4cb239e30b.gif

There is no way I will polish off that handle this weekend. I still had half of a liter when I bought that. I’ll put a decent rent in it though. I still have half a bottle of Bulleit and a liter of Four Roses to plow through over the next week.

15 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:

Someone I know got all their allocation bottles, but a few and must not have gotten checked off the list because they got a call a few days later for another allocation of some of the same bottles. Tough times.

Humble self brag? 

It does seem better than normal times. I’d imagine many restaurants/bars are turning down allocated bottles to save money. And I’m sure there are plenty that are no longer in business. 

• Like 1

Had an excellent night in Nashville. The list at Patterson was solid, and I explored the ‘20 Handy (Outstanding) and the ‘20 EC18 (tasty but somewhat disappointing)

f537dfc9a43b62450fcde2aef1420ce6.jpg

Highlight of the night was the Hochstader’s 16YO Rye at Skulls, which is easily the most audacious rye I’ve ever tasted. A big punch with a consistent follow through that layers in a hint of sweetness that matches the nose. I’m dumbfounded and must find a bottle immediately.

12a979c50c92f96e6e32708fe0e9b012.jpg

9 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Had an excellent night in Nashville. The list at Patterson was solid, and I explored the ‘20 Handy (Outstanding) and the ‘20 EC18 (tasty but somewhat disappointing)

f537dfc9a43b62450fcde2aef1420ce6.jpg

Highlight of the night was the Hochstader’s 16YO Rye at Skulls, which is easily the most audacious rye I’ve ever tasted. A big punch with a consistent follow through that layers in a hint of sweetness that matches the nose. I’m dumbfounded and must find a bottle immediately.

12a979c50c92f96e6e32708fe0e9b012.jpg

The 2020 Handy is supposed to be really good. Like the best release in its history good. 

• Like 1

Not everyday you stumble upon two bottles worth more than most mortgage payments

So that’s what I am curious about. I know I’ve seen stuff in the past, but a quick google left me scratching my head. Seemed to find some threads that made it seem like a couple hundred, while others related to auction houses were more like you’re saying.

Speaking of old bottles . . .

[*csb alert*]

A few years back I was having the interior of my house painted.  House was built in 1915.  The painter was working on the interior of a reach-in closet and noticed that one or two of the boards forming part of one of the sidewalls were loose and could be removed.  So he did, and he found three old bottles that were stashed inside the wall next to the closet.  One of the three was a pint bottle of Four Roses "Spiritus Frumenti," which apparently was a "medicinal whiskey" that Four Roses made during Prohibition.  The bottle has a pharmacy sticker on one side with a date of 2/16/23.  Unfortunately, it was open and empty. 

One of the other bottles had a screwtop and was about 2/3 full of some nasty-looking dark liquid.  The third bottle was empty and had a homemade sticker that said "Gin" on it.  Ah, Prohibition-life back in the 1920's -- hide your liquor in the walls.

[/csb]   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

So that’s what I am curious about. I know I’ve seen stuff in the past, but a quick google left me scratching my head. Seemed to find some threads that made it seem like a couple hundred, while others related to auction houses were more like you’re saying.

Off the top of my head without consulting people much more intelligent than me, I’m gonna say those are in the $1300-1500 range each. Gold vein Stitzel-Weller bottles are higher than eagle pussy.

Off the top of my head without consulting people much more intelligent than me, I’m gonna say those are in the $1300-1500 range each. Gold vein Stitzel-Weller bottles are higher than eagle pussy.

That’s nuts. I saw some numbers like that but didn’t really believe it. One is primo, label and everything, but appears to have a bit more evaporation than the one not in the box. Seen one with a lower liquid level still estimated at $900. This is a heck of a lot more fun than standing in front of the damn bunny store at 9:00am on a Tuesday morning.

3 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

That’s nuts. I saw some numbers like that but didn’t really believe it. One is primo, label and everything, but appears to have a bit more evaporation than the one not in the box. Seen one with a lower liquid level still estimated at $900. This is a heck of a lot more fun than standing in front of the damn bunny store at 9:00am on a Tuesday morning.

I saw a grown man sprinting into Spec’s this morning. This shit is getting out of control. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I saw a grown man cave running into Spec’s this morning. This shit is getting out of control. 

Yeah I stood in like a couple times when I knew for a fact something was there, but now I just leave it to chance or hit less popular stores hoping for less interest. The main Spec’s in town typically leaves clues on a personal Instagram page, but I swear there are at least a dozen flippers in the apartment complex behind it. Seen them waddling down from the parking deck at 10:05 with their bags on multiple occasions. Can’t compete with unemployment!

Pics of the bottom of the bottle and/or the code stamped on it?