Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hate raffles, but I guess it’s one of the fairest options available in the current three tier system. 

A raffle is just an auction that still engages the folks who can't win and therefore won't bid in an auction. It still favors the fat cats who will buy a thousand more tickets than the little guy, but gives a shred of hope. Is it Pareto efficient? Probably, yes. But it still pisses me off. 

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Pissed I didn’t find it in Lynchburg last week... a travesty, really.

I’m sorry you missed it. Theoretically it should be their best product. A good, 130 proof of rye for $65 is a steal. 

Fingers crossed the bourbon snobs keep turning their noses up at Jack Daniel’s products. It’d be nice if JD SiB BS Rye became a reliable premium rye option. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

A raffle is just an auction that still engages the folks who can't win and therefore won't bid in an auction. It still favors the fat cats who will buy a thousand more tickets than the little guy, but gives a shred of hope. Is it Pareto efficient? Probably, yes. But it still pisses me off. 

I think these raffles only allow one entry per person?

17 minutes ago, huge said:

I think these raffles only allow one entry per person?

Well, in that case, I rescind my Pareto efficient comment. Raffles get people in the store despite a tiny chance of success and ropes them into buying something less desirable just because "well, while I'm here..." The whole thing is a nasty business. Distillers should just raise their prices or raise their output. Trust me - I'm an economics graduate student. 🙄

Well, in that case, I rescind my Pareto efficient comment. Raffles get people in the store despite a tiny chance of success and ropes them into buying something less desirable just because "well, while I'm here..." The whole thing is a nasty business. Distillers should just raise their prices or raise their output. Trust me - I'm an economics graduate student. 

The Total Wine allocated whiskey ones are based on spending. Have to be Grand Grand Reserve ($2500+ for the year), and you earn an entry for each point. I didn’t get drawn for any of them last year, so I think they rolled me some “bonus” entries to better my odds. Same with a couple buddies. I’m not holding my breathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

The Total Wine allocated whiskey ones are based on spending. Have to be Grand Grand Reserve ($2500+ for the year), and you earn an entry for each point. I didn’t get drawn for any of them last year, so I think they rolled me some “bonus” entries to better my odds. Same with a couple buddies. I’m not holding my breathe.

What an insane system. You spend $2,500 annually in their store for a small chance of having your name drawn in a raffle. You're much better off paying Facebook secondary for BTAC. 

I rarely shop at Goody Goody, but I'm a bottle club member and I've shopped there this year, so I'm eligible for their Pappy/BTAC raffle. I probably have a better chance at winning the lottery, but I'm still eligible. 

I'm not sure if all the state controlled stores are the same, but Pennsylvania does a state wide raffle. I believe you just have to be 21 years old to enter. Entire families will enter in the hopes of getting one bottle of Pappy to share. I know a big Irish/Italian family from Pittsburgh that won a bottle of Pappy 15 and Lot B a few years back. They shared them during their family Christmas gathering. It sounded like good times. 

What an insane system. You spend $2,500 annually in their store for a small chance of having your name drawn in a raffle. You're much better off paying Facebook secondary for BTAC. 
I rarely shop at Goody Goody, but I'm a bottle club member and I've shopped there this year, so I'm eligible for their Pappy/BTAC raffle. I probably have a better chance at winning the lottery, but I'm still eligible. 
I'm not sure if all the state controlled stores are the same, but Pennsylvania does a state wide raffle. I believe you just have to be 21 years old to enter. Entire families will enter in the hopes of getting one bottle of Pappy to share. I know a big Irish/Italian family from Pittsburgh that won a bottle of Pappy 15 and Lot B a few years back. They shared them during their family Christmas gathering. It sounded like good times. 

Yeah my buddy is north of $12k spending per year and hasn’t been drawn either. I can’t figure out how much your preference order factors in, so it’s possible we’re shooting ourselves in the foot that way. I’ve cursed them off a number of times in my head and swore I’d spend all my money elsewhere, but dammit it’s the most convenient for way-home pickups. Also typically bootleg a few cases of vodka and some wine a few times a year to family in OK since cheaper here for whatever reason, so that helps me hit the mark and still be free to spend elsewhere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, H_Boogie said:

Yeah my buddy is north of $12k spending per year and hasn’t been drawn either. I can’t figure out how much your preference order factors in, so it’s possible we’re shooting ourselves in the foot that way. I’ve cursed them off a number of times in my head and swore I’d spend all my money elsewhere, but dammit it’s the most convenient for way-home pickups. Also typically bootleg a few cases of vodka and some wine a few times a year to family in OK since cheaper here for whatever reason, so that helps me hit the mark and still be free to spend elsewhere.

He needs to change stores. Immediately. 

If he spent that kind of coin at family store/small chain, he'd have his pick of their annual Pappy/BTAC allotment. 

talked to goody goody last night for a bit about their raffles.  sounds like the stores are all moving to in-store raffles for their allocated stuff to "level the playing field" as they put it.  but i guess if you are still in there enough and know the right people you can talk your way into stuff. 

12k!  jesus.

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He needs to change stores. Immediately. 

If he spent that kind of coin at family store/small chain, he'd have his pick of their annual Pappy/BTAC allotment. 

at msrp?   one of my local chain stores here was telling me the other day that their wlw and gts was going to retail for 600 when it came in.  if i spent 12k at their store and they tried to pull that shit i wouldnt shop there either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOMAAA said:

at msrp?   one of my local chain stores here was telling me the other day that their wlw and gts was going to retail for 600 when it came in.  if i spent 12k at their store and they tried to pull that shit i wouldnt shop there either. 

They SHOULD offer it at MSRP to their best customers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I get why they'd want to "level the playing field." Not everyone can drop $200+ a bottle for booze, but those stores make their hay on high volume bottom shelfers. Honestly, I'm losing my taste for the hunt. I might go back to cocktails.

level the playing field was in reference to the flippers.  i didnt get how one thing applied to the other.

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Woodford next release in their in their Masters series is a 17 year old bourbon. 

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/woodford-reserves-oldest-bourbon-to-date-part-of-newest-masters-collection/

I Want That GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Woodford next release in their in their Masters series is a 17 year old bourbon. 

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/woodford-reserves-oldest-bourbon-to-date-part-of-newest-masters-collection/

As always, I wish it were uncut, but the proof/age/price is comparable to Elijah Craig 18. 

It will be very interesting to taste 17 year old Brown-Forman product. 

Regarding the total wine drawing preference order, I actually got an ORVW last year, but I had it as my 2nd choice. We had bought all our booze for our wedding and that bumped my point total. 

I’m only buying what I’m drinking now so I’ll never win another drawing there. Seems like if I ever want to try anything in the BTAC I’ll be paying secondary or waiting for bourbon to not be popular again. 

6 minutes ago, Smax said:

Whats the difference between these two?a5bb592e38730ad208bc99fc2397ede5.jpg

Different batches/releases. A indicates the first release of the year. The las two digits indicate the year. 

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has three releases every year: A, B, & C. 

Some enthusiasts will nerd out, and claims certain batches are vastly superior to others and chase them. These are probably the same people chasing Blanton's dump dates. 

Spoiler : Every ECBP release is pretty good. It's barrel proof, 12 year old Elijah Craig. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Regarding the total wine drawing preference order, I actually got an ORVW last year, but I had it as my 2nd choice. We had bought all our booze for our wedding and that bumped my point total. 

I’m only buying what I’m drinking now so I’ll never win another drawing there. Seems like if I ever want to try anything in the BTAC I’ll be paying secondary or waiting for bourbon to not be popular again. 

Yeah I’m probably overthinking it. I’ve been honest once or twice. I tinkered around putting less desirable ones higher the next. Can’t remember what I did with the Fall drawing that had Parker’s Heritage and a handful of other non-BTAC offerings, but no luck to date.

Different batches/releases. A indicates the first release of the year. The las two digits indicate the year. 
Elijah Craig Barrel Proof has three releases every year: A, B, & C. 
Some enthusiasts will nerd out, and claims certain batches are vastly superior to others and chase them. These are probably the same people chasing Blanton's dump dates. 
Spoiler : Every ECBP release is pretty good. It's barrel proof, 12 year old Elijah Craig. 

Probably also the same people that regurgitate online reviews for every product there is while never actually sharing a genuine thought of their own.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

No, you won’t review shit. You’ll come here to tell us what Minnick said, or what whiskey wash said. What you absolutely will not do is form your own opinion.

I've reviewed plenty of bottles. 

I can't review bottles that aren't available in Texas yet. 

And I'm not going to open a bottle right away just to provide this thread with a review. I'll drink it when I'm good and ready. 

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

No, you won’t review shit. You’ll come here to tell us what Minnick said, or what whiskey wash said. What you absolutely will not do is form your own opinion.

DAAAAAAMN......... Bourbon is serious bidnez.

Seriously can we keep the vitriol the fuck out of here. This is a pretty chill group of assholes...

• Like 1

Total Wine is a fucking war zone these days. Everyone hunting there knowing that it's the only chain in Houston that consistently shelves allocated bottles. 

This morning I went to the TW in Memorial area. Got there about 10:05. Saw a dude with a bottle of ER in his hands looking at other bourbon bottles. Asked where he got the ER, and he pointed to a two-tiered little shelf in the middle of the aisle and it was kind of hidden on the bottom shelf. Grabbed one and kept looking. Dude said they shelved one case of 107 yesterday and that it lasted from about 10am-11:30am (sidenote: How does he know that? Does he stay there all day? Did he come back at 11:30am? Weird.) Didn't see anything else worth grabbing and started heading to checkout line, when I saw another cheap 3 tiered shelf near the corner of bourbon aisle, and three 107s were just sitting there by themselves (there were probably 5-6 other people in the bourbon section). No one else noticed but me. I grabbed one, alerted the others, and 2 guys came to take the last two. 

I'm walking up to the counter to pay, and a TW employee comes up to me and says limit 1. I said yeah, I'm only grabbing one ER and one 107. He said, "no, you can only have one or the other". Haha, fucking ridiculous. I put the ER back and bought the 107. So stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I got a sample in the mail today of Still Austin's Sherry Cask Finished Rye that comes out Dec 12th.

I like their regular stuff as a day to day drinker. Will let y'all know what this is like.

Their distillery being reopened to the public has been convenient as I can drop the kids at baseball practice and go have an old fashioned.

edit - I liked it. Sweeter than I am used to (I am not going to do the whole "tastes like dried cherries on front of nose with a hint of whole bean madagascar vanilla towards back of throat shit that most reviewers do")

I don't think this would be one I would drink 3-4 of and I think in an old fashioned type mix it would be almost too sweet. It has a deep yellow/brownish color to it and like I said is pretty sweet with no real "burn" to it going down. I don't know what the proof is but this is a tasty little drink that could be used almost as an after dinner type drink.

The price tag is steep at $120 but I am getting a couple as I like having a local distillery here in town that is producing creative and solid stuff.

Edited by BrazilHorn
I tried it
  • Like 1

there's a liquor store at the bottom of my street and i'm being generous when i say "liquor store".  it's basically a 7-11 with a decent amount of wine, and some liquor bottles behind the counter.  i never go in there unless i'm grabbing a coke or quick bottle of wine for the wife.

i dropped in today because i happened to be walking somewhere else.  the first dude asked me what i was looking for, and i said bourbon, asked if they had anything new or interesting or allocated, anything they maybe set aside.  he literally walked up to all of his bottles and said, "buffalo trace is pretty good, this four roses is good, i think this japanese one is good (all the stuff i could see myself)". 

so then i ask him again if anything ever comes in and gets set aside, who the hell knows, i said december is the biggest allocated bourbon month.  so he goes and gets nathan, that he would know more.  nathan comes out and i ask him similar questions, and he walked up to all the same bottles, "have you had buffalo trace, we just got eagle rare in, also this four roses is good". 

so i ask him if he ever gets anything allocated, because i know they can't order it and it just "comes when it comes" (i stole this line from my grocery store hookup, and it's amazing how everyone kinda knowingly nods when i use it).  he says they get blantons every now and then, but it's been a while.  then he walks back to the register, and by the lighters and gum he grabs a bottle that was already on the counter and he said, "this is pretty good, it's $60 but i can cut you a deal."

image.png.ebfb53b861a7ac4fff8f25975ebca6b5.png

so there was a bottle of stagg, jr just sitting on the counter, in plain view, for long enough that he felt the need to "cut me a deal."  also after you hear me ask (twice) about anything you put aside, maybe next time open with "i have this bottle of stagg, jr", instead of taking me on a scenic tour of bottles i can see from sunset blvd.

i explained to him that i would happily pay full price for it, and a nice bottle of wine for the wife, and then i gave him all my personal information and explained how close i lived.  and if he ever gets a bottle again that he feels the need to set aside, to text me first, and i would literally run down there.

you never know.

Edited by henrygandorf
details.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

I have officially been relegated to the cheap seats. My mom and pop that always called me first whenever he got anything decent sold to some middle eastern folk that have now put Eagle Rare on “sale” for the cheap price of $99. My connection at TW that moved all the way up to store manager has had his hands tied by corporate when it comes to allocations so now that’s toast. Woe is me. Just turn me out to pasture, my best days are far behind me

5 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I have officially been relegated to the cheap seats. My mom and pop that always called me first whenever he got anything decent sold to some middle eastern folk that have now put Eagle Rare on “sale” for the cheap price of $99. My connection at TW that moved all the way up to store manager has had his hands tied by corporate when it comes to allocations so now that’s toast. Woe is me. Just turn me out to pasture, my best days are far behind me

sounds like @Hank Kingsley

• Haha 1