Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, cknight said:

Got a text yesterday from a connection and picked up these guys:41727c87028a179dc5d24d9fb48048b7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a solid trifecta there, but for the life of me I cannot understand why Buffalo Trace is hard to find. I don't think it's anything special at all.  $28 all day when you can find it around here. Personal taste of course, but the Blantons and ER score are definitely uber solid pick ups.

9 hours ago, Smax said:

Whats the difference between these two?a5bb592e38730ad208bc99fc2397ede5.jpg

C920 kicks A120’s ass. A120 is pretty good, but it’s really hot on the palate. C920 is probably the best release in the last few years of ECBP. 

B520 is really good too if you find that, but I never saw any hit San Antonio. I had to trade bottles with a guy on a national Facebook group to get mine.  Did it for a 375ml Blanton’s pick from WB Liquor. I feel I won that trade quite handily. 

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 1

So you're friends with Bert?

Ha, would be funny to realize someone I know has an alter ego on here. No, he and his wife just burn through a lot of nice wine. His bourbon introduction in recent years has only made it worse.

But really, if I found out that I randomly knew that guy that used to do all the MS Paint drawings, I don’t know what I’d do.

8 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

C920 kicks A120’s ass. A120 is pretty good, but it’s really hot on the palate. C920 is probably the best release in the last few years of ECBP. 

B520 is really good too if your find that, but I never saw any hit San Antonio. I had to trade bottles with a guy on a national Facebook group to get mine.  Did it for a 375ml Blanton’s pick from WB Liquor. I feel I won that trade quite handily. 

Yev, I have 4 B520s behind my open bottle. Happy to get you one if ever needed. 

6 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

Ha, would be funny to realize someone I know has an alter ego on here. No, he and his wife just burn through a lot of nice wine. His bourbon introduction in recent years has only made it worse.

But really, if I found out that I randomly knew that guy that used to do all the MS Paint drawings, I don’t know what I’d do.

You know thujone?! He’s Surly Royalty. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's a solid trifecta there, but for the life of me I cannot understand why Buffalo Trace is hard to find. I don't think it's anything special at all.  $28 all day when you can find it around here. Personal taste of course, but the Blantons and ER score are definitely uber solid pick ups.

Regional differences are interesting, stopped in a local store yesterday and they had handles of BT on the floor around the shelves because they wouldn’t all fit. Same with bottles of ER. I have had zero luck on anything of interest the last few weeks. Been to stores while I was in FL last week, KY this week, and back home in between and have found not much of anything other than a Little Book. Plenty of mid range stuff out there, but I was looking for something I didn’t have. 

Buddy with a liquor store offered me a Weller Antique he had, but he had someone willing to pay stupid money for it so I told him to sell it. He’s in a small town that mainly sells cheap junk, so his allocations of decent stuff are pretty sparse. It is interesting what he has to sell to get certain allocations though, a lot of it is tied to moving a lot of junk brands in the family.

You know thujone?! He’s Surly Royalty. 

No, but I wish I did. Just an example of meeting an internet celebrity in real life that I would genuinely be impressed with. Haha I remember I stumbled across the “old” site based on a sports-related link. Rabbit holed into grilling/bbq, food/travel threads, and whatever all the Paint stories were on. Then I recall something happened with a bunch of blondes at TX St, the site went away, and I thought it wise to stay miles away. Stumbled across it again on this page a while back and thoroughly enjoy it. The Facebook bourbon pages are a hard follow.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Old Scout Cask Strength Rye is pretty good. Floral nose. Spicy palette, but drinks a little thin. Nice hug on the finish. It’s a little young, but not harsh. 

It taste more like a MGP bourbon than a rye. I’d say better Willett Family Reserve Small Batch Rye. Willett has a expired candy funk that I don’t like. Not as good as Roseville Union Barrel Strength Rye. I think it needs two more years in the barrel to properly compare it to Pikesville. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Budget suggestions:

Bourbon: Old Forester 100: $24 a liter. Probably contains 8 year old OF. 

Old Forester Rye. Pretty tasty, nice malted barley funk .

Wheated: Weller Special Reserve. Runs hot in a good way, with all the classic Weller flavors.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Budget suggestions:
Bourbon: Old Forester 100: $24 a liter. Probably contains 8 year old OF. 
Old Forester Rye. Pretty tasty, nice malted barley funk .
Wheated: Weller Special Reserve. Runs hot in a good way, with all the classic Weller flavors.

Weller SR. Now available lottery only in VA.

My anger deepens by the day. I’ve been drinking Weller since college, for over 25 years now, and even SR is getting hard to find.
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Weller SR. Now available lottery only in VA.

My anger deepens by the day. I’ve been drinking Weller since college, for over 25 years now, and even SR is getting hard to find.

Shit. Are you kidding me? Come to Houston and load up on Weller SR. I’ll buy your first drink at 8 Row Flint. 

• Like 1

anyone in dallas making it over to specs to get that barrel pick of the sagamore rye?  i would love a bottle if you do.  shoot me a PM and we can figure something out.

Anytime y’all are in need of something like that LMK and I’ll see what I can arrange from the distillery. I’m there... often

Anytime y’all are in need of something like that LMK and I’ll see what I can arrange from the distillery. I’m there... often

This particular one was a barrel pick by the local employee IG account team. I didn’t make it down myself, but it must not have moved as quickly as they thought, because they sent a handful of cases to other metroplex stores.

This particular one was a barrel pick by the local employee IG account team. I didn’t make it down myself, but it must not have moved as quickly as they thought, because they sent a handful of cases to other metroplex stores.

With a little technical assistance from BigD, I helped a buddy sell his 1983 gold vein for $1300.

Secondary market be crazy.

I missed this yesterday somehow but a notification sent me to it today. Small world. Thank you all for the post, as it started the convo for me to unload one of mine to the same guy. Was buying a bottle for himself and his dad since he was buying his retiring dad’s company.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

I missed this yesterday somehow but a notification sent me to it today. Small world. Thank you all for the post, as it started the convo for me to unload one of mine to the same guy. Was buying a bottle for himself and his dad since he was buying his retiring dad’s company.

The world shrinks a bit each day.  

I paid $225 for a 2017 and it made me feel very dirty. Every other one I’ve bought was $109 or $119. Even though $400 is well under the current secondary rate, no way I could stomach that. Makes me sick to see the toads standing in line at TW at 8am waiting to see what they can find to flip for maxxxxx profitzz. I fantasize about going to Kroger and buying some rotten cabbage, then driving by and clobbering aforementioned toads with said rotten vegetation. Fuckers.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I was offered a George T. Stagg for $400. 

I passed. 

I would have.

6 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I paid $225 for a 2017 and it made me feel very dirty. Every other one I’ve bought was $109 or $119. Even though $400 is well under the current secondary rate, no way I could stomach that. Makes me sick to see the toads standing in line at TW at 8am waiting to see what they can find to flip for maxxxxx profitzz. I fantasize about going to Kroger and buying some rotten cabbage, then driving by and clobbering aforementioned toads with said rotten vegetation. Fuckers.

Kroger sells rotten cabbage?

Massive line at smith street is the intel

I wasn’t there. Just reporting detail

I am however in Orlando and went to ABC which felt like a GG type of place.

Widow Jane was the most interesting thing on the shelf but I suspect that they get a load of allocation.

3 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

am i the only one who hates the angels envy bottles?

the look of the bottle shouldn't affect how much i like something but it does.

I concur. When I first started getting into bourbon, I stayed away from 4RSiB because I didn’t like the shape of the bottle. I’ve come to love the bourbon and appreciate the rose emblem indented on the glass now. 

I think even if Willet pot still was good bourbon, I would still hate it because of the bottle shape 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I live in Richardson, sister is in VA that’s why I made the comment, but I don’t spend enough to play the game. I’m Reserve at TW but around here it has become increasingly difficult to even find SR for me, much less OWA.
It’s just dumb at this point.

There was a bunch of SR at TW Wednesday.

16 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I don’t need any lip from you.

Just letting you know.  There was a ton of it.  Might swing by on the way home and see if there’s any left.  It was at the front counter and I almost didn’t notice it was there.  I suspect many may have made the same mistake.

• Like 1