Bourbon

Jimbaround

40 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

If you want to talk about a travesty, the discontinuation of Tom Moore (Barton 1792 Distillery brand) BiB is one. A plastic handle for $23 and it’s even a fine sipper. Have to make way for more overpriced 1792 I guess. 

So basically a handle of 1792 BiB in for $23. 

Meanwhile, the current version of 1792 BiB is $35 for the 750 mL. 

Given the price, I think it's 80 proof. Based on Bert's post, I don't think the BiB is available outside of dusty hunting. 

Fair enough. Wouldn’t be the first time the wrong image was used. I saw 100 proof on the pic and was about to hop in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I've never bought Kentucky Owl, but FYI for those that like it: Batch #4 of their Rye is behind the glass case at Total Wines in Houston. I think it's like $279. Just noticed them today. 

Batch 3 is still shelf turding it up everywhere for $199 and MSRP is up $99?  Right. 

Not sure where they came from but Twin has been breaking out a few batch 1 rye lately for $202.99.  That’s basically secondary value but it’s good enough that I bought a spare  

2 minutes ago, USCATX said:

This is my favorite book.  

It is my first.  Allocated stuff can be really hard to come by around here.  But I do my best.  I refuse to pay secondary prices so I've resigned myself to the fact that there are a lot of bottles I'll never get, but I'm ok with that.

Edited by Chewbacca

10 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

The Specs?  It’s good. Sipping now. 

Yep. I had some last night with some friends. I liked it. They all picked up bottles and gave me shit about it. So it became deeply personal for me to hunt one down. Mission accomplished. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed. Much better than 2. 

And 1 and 4. 1 is just completely unmemorable.  Somebody could refill my chapter 1 with Knob 12 and I wouldn’t notice.  I recall it being generically Bourbon-ish despite having some fairly oddball components in the blend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

whats the surly opinion on traverse city, old elk, and sweetheart of the rodeo?   They are all three fairly affordable, none of them seem to be over 4 yrs olds, and as far as i can tell all are mgp.  however, all three were on different recommended lists ive come across lately so have them on my shelf.  anybody know their stories or have tried them?

Old Elk isn’t MGP, it was a blend of MGP and two other distilleries but as of this year it is believed that they switched over to their own distillate that they began working on in 2016. What is funny is that the MGP that Old Elk used in their blend was distilled by an MGP master distiller who they promptly poached in 2016 to be their head distiller.
I’ve had the blend and the cask strength and the blend was very weak in all aspects. Cask strength was much more palatable but unless they bring the price down to around $40 I’m out on another bottle.

I’ve not heard many good things about Traverse City and can honestly say I’ve never heard of Sweetheart Rodeo.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Old Elk isn’t MGP, it was a blend of MGP and two other distilleries but as of this year it is believed that they switched over to their own distillate that they began working on in 2016. What is funny is that the MGP that Old Elk used in their blend was distilled by an MGP master distiller who they promptly poached in 2016 to be their head distiller.
I’ve had the blend and the cask strength and the blend was very weak in all aspects. Cask strength was much more palatable but unless they bring the price down to around $40 I’m out on another bottle.

I’ve not heard many good things about Traverse City and can honestly say I’ve never heard of Sweetheart Rodeo.

one of the three won a gold medal in san francisco, but can't remember which one.

25 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Barton releasing some cask finished stuff

I paid $20 for a handle of Tom Moore BiB last night. 

Buffalo Trace/Sazerac decided to discontinue Tom Moore BiB. I assume they took Tom Moore BiB and finished it in wine casks, dumped it in a new fancy bottle, and renamed it Thomas S. Moore. That'll be $70. Also there's a terrific chance it'll be allocated. 

I laughed at the r/bourbon chicken littles when they panicked after Sazerac acquired Early Times. As it turns out, they were probably right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

That would be the Old Elk blended in 2018 I believe. I would take that with a heavy grain of salt given those are the same people that dubbed Henry McKenna 10 the best whiskey in the world last year

i do take those with a grain of salt.  i suspect you can buy a gold medal, or at least that there are some shady influences.  balcones won a few also.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The San Francisco World Spirits Competition confuses the hell out of me. There so many categories that everyone wins. 

It’s similar to the local magazines issues of the best lawyers/doctors in town.  If you’re willing to buy an ad, you make the cut.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1