Bourbon

Jimbaround

So, I showed ZERO patience with that Handy after a brutal week and just poured myself a New Orleans style Sazerac and good LORD!

I’ve had plenty of profound examples over the years, but this... this, like pussy, cannot be defeated. If I could bottle the aroma coming off my glass right now and put it in a diffuser, I’m confident I would never leave the house.

1 hour ago, huge said:

6d050c95d300f01d6ed92c22f2d82ff4.jpg

Also had a CA delivery today

I like the Rebel somewhat better than I initially did now that I've sampled it a couple more times, but still not enough to recommend it over several other options in the same general price range.  YMMV.  I'll be interested in hearing what you think of it.  

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

So, I showed ZERO patience with that Handy after a brutal week and just poured myself a New Orleans style Sazerac and good LORD!

I’ve had plenty of profound examples over the years, but this... this, like pussy, cannot be defeated. If I could bottle the aroma coming off my glass right now and put it in a diffuser, I’m confident I would never leave the house.

I actually had a conversation with a neighbor last night about he likes making Sazeracs out of Handy.

3 hours ago, huge said:

I made 2 old fashioned with Handy several years ago showing off to a neighbor who didn’t really know the difference.

It might have been a waste but holy shit they were delicious.

I’ve made some old fashioneds with Stagg Jr and they went hard.  Kinda tempted to crack my Handy and make a bougie AF Sazerac Sazerac.  

• Like 1

I like Pikesville better than Rare Breed Rye, but it’s very close. I’d just buy whatever you can find. 

Not a big fan of Rittenhouse so have avoided Pikesville to date in spite of the many recs I’ve seen on line. Will try it one day but for now I’ll go for the Rare Breed even tho it’s harder to find and another $15.

I assume it’s better than the Russell’s Reserve Rye?

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Old Forester 100 is going down smooth tonight. I think it smokes the competition at its price point/availability. 

Speaking of, I just opened my Old Forester Barrel Strength store pick. It's 134.5 proof. And it's fucking amazing. Noses at like 110 proof, drinks around 115-120.

Blows away my Stagg Jr. bottle. Might have to blind it just to make sure, but it's an automatic buy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TxTower said:

Not a big fan of Rittenhouse so have avoided Pikesville to date in spite of the many recs I’ve seen on line. Will try it one day but for now I’ll go for the Rare Breed even tho it’s harder to find and another $15.

I assume it’s better than the Russell’s Reserve Rye?

Rare Breed Rye and Pikesville are a notch above Russell's Reserve Rye IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Speaking of, I just opened my Old Forester Barrel Strength store pick. It's 134.5 proof. And it's fucking amazing. Noses at like 110 proof, drinks around 115-120.

Blows away my Stagg Jr. bottle. Might have to blind it just to make sure, but it's an automatic buy. 

Part of me is just here for the Hank head to head showdowns. 

• Haha 1

Just now, H_Boogie said:

Where’s that one from? The 134.5 doesn’t sound like one of the Specs ones from a week or so ago I’d seen. A few folks were posting elsewhere that it wasn’t that enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got extremely lucky and got a bottle from a store pick that hasn't been released to the public yet. Owner of the liquor store asked me not to share online. But if you want to DM me I'll give you a heads up on when/where it's being released. 

I got extremely lucky and got a bottle from a store pick that hasn't been released to the public yet. Owner of the liquor store asked me not to share online. But if you want to DM me I'll give you a heads up on when/where it's being released. 

Good to know. The specs ones, at least for the Dallas area, were 127 and 130 I think. The employee that posts all the time said the 130 was definitely the better of the two. The folks that complained didn’t specify which one from what I saw.

1 hour ago, H_Boogie said:

Good to know. The specs ones, at least for the Dallas area, were 127 and 130 I think. The employee that posts all the time said the 130 was definitely the better of the two. The folks that complained didn’t specify which one from what I saw.

Instagram handle? 

Instagram handle? 

Tilted Bottle. There’s a main guy, but the handle is run by a handful of guys that run the main Specs in Dallas. They’ve become pretty common knowledge for clues of releases up this way. Problem is, there’s an apartment complex right behind the store. There’s a dozen or more release rats that just squat on his posts and waddle up the hill to buy shit and flip it immediately. Seen a few faces in person that correlated to flipper posts within minutes.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Tilted Bottle. There’s a main guy, but the handle is run by a handful of guys that run the main Specs in Dallas. They’ve become pretty common knowledge for clues of releases up this way. Problem is, there’s an apartment complex right behind the store. There’s a dozen or more release rats that just squat on his posts and waddle up the hill to buy shit and flip it immediately. Seen a few faces in person that correlated to flipper posts within minutes.

That’s a rathole complex. Had a buddy that lived there in ‘96 and it was turrble then.

3 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

The Spec’s on at 9500 North Central Expressway? Yeah I remember that one. It’s ringed by an apartment complex. If my memory serves me correctly, it was the first big Spec’s location in Dallas.

I never found anything good there, but I wasn’t really looking at the time. 

I think something similar is happening in Midtown. 

• Like 1

Old Forester 100 is going down smooth tonight. I think it smokes the competition at its price point/availability. 

Fuuu now I’m kicking myself for not picking up the 150th when offered today, but I had Handy blinders on. Passed on a bottle of Stagg Jr as well... can’t believe I’m successfully sticking to my very recent “only on the list” rule.

Fuuu now I’m kicking myself for not picking up the 150th when offered today, but I had Handy blinders on. Passed on a bottle of Stagg Jr as well... can’t believe I’m successfully sticking to my very recent “only on the list” rule.
That sounds like a dumb rule when Stagg Jr and OF 150 aren't on the list.
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

I should clarify. Old Forester 150th Anniversary,  or OF 150, is a special release. Maybe it’s Barrel Proof honey barrels with a couple more years? I’m glad I bought a Batch 3 because it’s supposed to be funky. Old Forester kind of knows their place. If they play by all the standard bourbon rules, Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill will smoke them. Credit is due for the wonderful/unique OF Birthday 2019

OF 100 proof is cheap as hell, but it’s good. It’s not BiB per Jackie Zykan because they’re blending 8 year old product into it. Well that works for me. 

Regarding Stagg Jr, they seemed to have figured it out. I haven’t tasted a subpar release since 2017-2018. It’s a buy at $50 every single time. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Daaaamn. What do you get for being his spiritual guide?

Peckerhead offered a Blanton’s for what he payed for it...$90. I’m gonna show up and drink straight from the WLW bottle and tell him it’s the tax for being an asshole. He did help me get my 2019 OFBB’s for my twins so I can’t be too upset, but I am upset.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Peckerhead offered a Blanton’s for what he payed for it...$90. I’m gonna show up and drink straight from the WLW bottle and tell him it’s the tax for being an asshole. He did help me get my 2019 OFBB’s for my twins so I can’t be too upset, but I am upset.

Well good bourbon is meant to be shared. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

18 months ago my friend thought TX bourbon was the best evarrrrr!! Introduced him to ER and BT and the rest is history. Last night that toad sent me this pic. $1,013 total for everything in the pic. Bastard

Your first mistake was introducing him to good hootch. Let him find it for himself...  Ignorance is bliss, for him, and the rest of us in that instance.