Bourbon

Jimbaround

I meant the Barrel Proof Rye. The last Jack special release was Heritage in 2018. 

Saw a post elsewhere of somebody finding one in the Dallas area. I was tied up but let my boss know and he happened into his local Total Wine a couple hours later as the right truck was there and got us both squared away. Was going to grab more, but somebody else came up and grabbed a couple, so doesn’t appear to be a Limit 1 situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

stumbled into a new spot today while i was picking up a xmas present for the wife.  it was just down the street, what was i supposed to do...not go into a liquor store?

made a new friend.

IMG_0814.jpg.fac741a2adf3167611764c817e3e24dd.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg.1d6e5b0c1244360594fc23f58396b2d4.jpg

middle of a retail neighborhood not known for affordability, but you never know.

once i saw the er and the bt store picks, i was already happy.  he told me that i just missed the 107 store pick, which was a bummer.  he also said he socked a few away, but they were all gone.  til he said, "oops, there's one" and grabbed it for me.  first time i've ever seen weller on the shelf, even if it was kinda hidden.

they also had a few eh taylor small batch on the shelf, but i was concentrating on things i wanted.

i didn't even have to use my ak.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

You'd never hit Wally's before??  Color me surprised.  Would love to have one close to me, but alas . . .

3 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

You'd never hit Wally's before??  Color me surprised.  Would love to have one close to me, but alas . . .

nope, never bourbon hunting at least.  i've only been on this for about a year, and mostly in weho (unless i'm going to grocery stores).  dude told me the santa monica location gets "all the good stuff" so who knows.

On 12/14/2020 at 7:27 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

I think EC Toasted Barrel is pretty good. But it's currently allocated which makes people have higher expectations, especially for people paying secondary prices. 

I read somewhere recently that it will be much more available next year. So don't rush to buy it unless you're getting it at retail. 

Picked this up today for $48.  There were three more on the shelf.  I guess I should go back and get the other three tomorrow?BA73557E-91CA-4E6F-8B49-D6293113249A.thumb.jpeg.79a76e91022c1b7bafd45bb433ca3d1d.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 years. new to my bourbon hunting. I’ve had wine there before. 

Great wine selection. Lived in Texas all my life but would stop by Wallys hunting RRV Pinot when I was in town. Was always amazed at the quality of wines and spirits available in the CA super markets compared to the overly regulated Texas market.

Spec’s sold out of the aforementioned Weller Antique Store Pick in an hour. 10 cases, 1 barrel. They were putting on a show to enforce one per customer, but I saw an obvious flipper putting a case in his trunk. This is the most Antique I’ve ever seen in one place. The kid refused to move when I asked to take a pic, so my apologies in advance. 
AAC1566F-2AF7-4518-90E4-72784539E5D1.thumb.jpeg.4b4ea9f50d0a375b2eb85c2f16c4c9e0.jpeg

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

stumbled into a new spot today while i was picking up a xmas present for the wife.  it was just down the street, what was i supposed to do...not go into a liquor store?
made a new friend.

middle of a retail neighborhood not known for affordability, but you never know.
once i saw the er and the bt store picks, i was already happy.  he told me that i just missed the 107 store pick, which was a bummer.  he also said he socked a few away, but they were all gone.  til he said, "oops, there's one" and grabbed it for me.  first time i've ever seen weller on the shelf, even if it was kinda hidden.
they also had a few eh taylor small batch on the shelf, but i was concentrating on things i wanted.
200.gif

Bruh, you’ve never stopped in Wally’s BH before? That place is a got damn goldmine...

Last time I was there, snagged some choice Nickel&Nickel Syrah at cost and bumped into Whoopi Goldberg. I was excited by the wine and my Texan wife was floored to see Whoopi... that’s a win/win.

47 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Anyone good picks in Austin recently? TW Arboretum, Debs, Nameless Joint? I feel like I need to make a run today 

Dumb question amnesty here.  I'm guessing the name of the nameless joint rhymes with schmoke schmicker schmabinet.  Why is it treated like Voldemort here?  

10 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Dumb question amnesty here.  I'm guessing the name of the nameless joint rhymes with schmoke schmicker schmabinet.  Why is it treated like Voldemort here?  

Wow...I lived in Austin for 6 years and had no idea there was a Harry Potter themed liquor store in town.

Apparently there was a line wrapping around Specs Midtown this morning at open. What were people getting in line for? Nothing. It was a "just in case line", which apparently picked up steam once people saw that there were a dozen people in line.

Nothing dropped.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Apparently there was a line wrapping around Specs Midtown this morning at open. What were people getting in line for? Nothing. It was a "just in case line", which apparently picked up steam once people saw that there were a dozen people in line.

Nothing dropped.

this just in...people are idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Nothing dropped.

I see this daily around my parts. Insanity
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Nothing dropped.

I see this daily around my parts. Insanity

Take it to NSAA, mate. 

Anyone good picks in Austin recently? TW Arboretum, Debs, Nameless Joint? I feel like I need to make a run today 

If people are still operating under the assumption that Raj’s shop is somehow under the radar, then they are sorely out of touch. That guy is cleaning up, and has more people to take care of than he has allocated bottles. He’s awesome though.

His Russell’s Reserve store pick was a definite winner. I think he still has plenty left but I haven’t been in this week yet. Last week he got another EC barrel pick in. I haven’t heard anything about it yet, but they are almost always solid. He also got a Balcones Single Malt that was one of the better bottles I’ve tasted from them.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Nothing dropped.

I always thought if I was to open a restaurant, I would have folks wait in line outside just to pull in other people.  The herd mentality is so predictable.  I don't know if Raj is "cleaning up" but he has a nice little liquor store.  I should go there more often, but I tend to walk into WB next to costco, or Total Wine simply for variety. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I love this

It's a pretty cold day, especially for Houston, but I don't have sympathy for these people. Spec's isn't going to have any significant events/drops during Covid. Last night was very a much a one off. Call it a Christmas present to their customers. 

There's usually 7-8 people standing around for Spec's to open at 10 am. It was busy as hell last night, so it wouldn't be unusual this time a year for 20 people to be gathered at 10 am to stock for Christmas. I'd imagine the Midtown flippers got all excited when they saw more people gathered than usual, and well whatever that is happened. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

If people are still operating under the assumption that Raj’s shop is somehow under the radar, then they are sorely out of touch. That guy is cleaning up, and has more people to take care of than he has allocated bottles. He’s awesome though.

His Russell’s Reserve store pick was a definite winner. I think he still has plenty left but I haven’t been in this week yet. Last week he got another EC barrel pick in. I haven’t heard anything about it yet, but they are almost always solid. He also got a Balcones Single Malt that was one of the better bottles I’ve tasted from them.

Thank you. I really didn't understand it either, but some people in this thread had their panties in a bunch for name dropping in the past. OLC is great. Raj is great. Pretty sure the entire world knows about his store, or any other store for that matter. I had the RR pick, it was great. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Thank you. I really didn't understand it either, but some people in this thread had their panties in a bunch for name dropping in the past. OLC is great. Raj is great. Pretty sure the entire world knows about his store, or any other store for that matter. I had the RR pick, it was great. 

It's mentioned frequently in the Austin Bourbon Facebook group with 2.1k members.  It's definitely not a secret. 

23 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

made a new friend.

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

MOTHER OF GOD !!

Unknown.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1