Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hmm it looks like one per person. This is going to require more work than I expected. 

If you don’t come up with a bottle, PM me your address and I’ll send you one. You can return something of your choice. I bought several to have for client gifts. 

Walked in today and they had the big bottles of ER and BT out, so stocked up on them, some EHT SB, an Antique, and a few other things. They had a couple of the Angels Envy Cask Strength out but I couldn’t pull the trigger on it. If anyone is interested in trying Marianne Eaves new bourbon Sweetens Cove, it is on the shelf now also. Bought one of the original releases last spring and it is a solid bourbon although pricey.

30 minutes ago, Brew said:

If you don’t come up with a bottle, PM me your address and I’ll send you one. You can return something of your choice. I bought several to have for client gifts. 

Walked in today and they had the big bottles of ER and BT out, so stocked up on them, some EHT SB, an Antique, and a few other things. They had a couple of the Angels Envy Cask Strength out but I couldn’t pull the trigger on it. If anyone is interested in trying Marianne Eaves new bourbon Sweetens Cove, it is on the shelf now also. Bought one of the original releases last spring and it is a solid bourbon although pricey.

PM sent. 

32 minutes ago, Fud said:

How would you guys rank your ten favorite readily available bottles for under $60?

like I said before

On 1/25/2020 at 8:11 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Bourbon Axioms of Bozo Casanova:
1) People don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find.
2) The best bourbon is often hard to get, but the hardest bourbon to get us not usually the best.
3) All good blends are better than all but the best single barrels, and only the absolute best individual barrels are better than the best blends.
4) There’s plenty of good bourbon.
5) Until somebody drinks it, it isn’t any good.

So with that in mind, I think people overthink this.
There has never been more good bourbon on the market and there are a mind-boggling variety of good Bourbons widely available under $60, including most of the very best, and almost everything priced above $60 is overpriced. 
In my opinion Old Forester 1910 is the best widely available bourbon under $60, and if it's not, Old Forester 1920 is. If you took out "widely available", 1910 would still be #1 according to me, but Weller 12 would slide in between the two. 
Here are eight more excellent and widely available bourbons under $60 in no particular order. 

Elijah Craig Small Batch

Regular Woodford

Knob Creek 9

Larceny

Russells Reserve

4 Roses Small Batch (note - I would say Single Barrel, but it's hit and miss, see #3 above, and I'm not chasing barrels because it's not worth it unless you are more interested in collecting than drinking., life is too short)

Michter's Small Batch

Maker's 46

None of these other than 1910 are among my absolute favorites, because my favorites are not widely available. But there's plenty of good bourbon out there and I could just as easily sub out eight more underneath my top 2 and be happy.
The key is to know what you like and not worry about anybody else's opinion. Drink what you like.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

like I said before

So with that in mind, I think people overthink this.
There has never been more good bourbon on the market and there are a mind-boggling variety of good Bourbons widely available under $60, including most of the very best, and almost everything priced above $60 is overpriced. 
In my opinion Old Forester 1910 is the best widely available bourbon under $60, and if it's not, Old Forester 1920 is. If you took out "widely available", 1910 would still be #1 according to me, but Weller 12 would slide in between the two. 
Here are eight more excellent and widely available bourbons under $60 in no particular order. 

Elijah Craig Small Batch

Regular Woodford

Knob Creek 9

Larceny

Russells Reserve

4 Roses Small Batch (note - I would say Single Barrel, but it's hit and miss, see #3 above, and I'm not chasing barrels because it's not worth it unless you are more interested in collecting than drinking., life is too short)

Michter's Small Batch

Maker's 46

None of these other than 1910 are among my absolute favorites, because my favorites are not widely available. But there's plenty of good bourbon out there and I could just as easily sub out eight more underneath my top 2 and be happy.
The key is to know what you like and not worry about anybody else's opinion. Drink what you like.

I need to circle back around to OF I suppose. When I first started buying bottles to figure out what I like, I got an OF Single Barrel store pick and a Prohibition style. The SB was terrible, and the Prohibition style was good, but didn't stand out against other bottles I had. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

How would you guys rank your ten favorite readily available bottles for under $60?

Redemption Wheated

4R Small Batch Select

Elijah Craig Small Batch Store Pick

Pikesville Rye

Russell’s Reserve Store Pick

John Bowman Single Barrel

JD Single Barrel Proof

OF 1920

Knob Creek 12

*EH Taylor Small Batch

*slightly hard to find at the 10th spot, but you should be able to ask around and find one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

People like to shit on it because of the brand, but actually this is very good whiskey. Fuck Specs, however. 

I get some decent stuff there sometimes, but they also like to recommend Broken Saddle and stupid shit like that. 

Edited by USCATX
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

in no particular order:

russell's reserve single barrel 

makers mark private select

rare breed barrel proof bourbon

old forester 1910

four roses small batch select

eagle rare (it's widely available here for $30, but i know in tx it's tougher)

buffalo trace (store pick if you can find one)

nikka coffey grain whiskey

smoke wagon small batch

michter's bourbon (or blended american whiskey)

i'm not a big rye guy, but the rare breed and russell's reserve also have ryes that people love (some of the ryes may take you a tad over $60, and several of these are $45-$65 depending on where you find them).  jack daniels single barrel and sib barrel proof are supposedly great (along with the rye of both) but i haven't personally sampled them yet.

the smoke wagon is a little different but i like it.  the retail on the sb is $50 and uncut/unfiltered is $60 but they can be tricky to locate.  obviously get the uncut if both are available.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

in no particular order:

russell's reserve single barrel 

makers mark private select

rare breed barrel proof bourbon

old forester 1910

four roses small batch select

eagle rare (it's widely available here for $30, but i know in tx it's tougher)

buffalo trace (store pick if you can find one)

nikka coffey grain whiskey

smoke wagon small batch

michter's bourbon (or blended american whiskey)

i'm not a big rye guy, but the rare breed and russell's reserve also have ryes that people love (some of the ryes may take you a tad over $60, and several of these are $45-$65 depending on where you find them).  jack daniels single barrel and sib barrel proof are supposedly great (along with the rye of both) but i haven't personally sampled them yet.

the smoke wagon is a little different but i like it.  the retail on the sb is $50 and uncut/unfiltered is $60 but they can be tricky to locate.  obviously get the uncut if both are available.

Nikka Coffey Grain is good stuff; bought several bottles as presents for coworkers

Bought the normal Smoke Wagon (~$27 I think) yesterday and gave it a pour. I agree that it's a little different, but it grew on me 

4 hours ago, Fud said:

In no order:

RR SiB

Eagle Rare

Makers Mark Private Select

Pikesville

4R SiB

4R Small Batch Select

OF 1910

OF 1870 

Evan Williams SiB

McKenna 10 (I am probably stretching the availability on this one)

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Fud said:

OF 1910 (and that's coming from a guy who is not the biggest fan of 1870 or 1920)

4R Small Batch Select

Those two are probably my favorites when it comes to readily available under $60.  ER10 is probably third -- I hesitate to mention it because it's readily available out here in SoCal, but I know that isn't always the case in TX.

After those three, in no particular order:

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Smoke Wagon small batch

Elijah Craig small batch

4R Single Barrel

Buffalo Trace

OGD 114 (though my current bottle has a hint of funkiness that is off-putting)

Legent

In the past, I would have included Henry McKenna SB in my top 3 or 4, but I can't find it anymore for under $60 out here.  If it's readily available where you live and under $50, it's definitely worthy trying.

I was about an hour ago. I live in Austin but drove up to scoop this bottle in particular.

I hate you. I’ve been trying to make it down there since they released last week. Grabbed the original release two years ago for myself and BigD and a few days later he made it down to grab two as well. Finally ran out about a month ago but it was absolutely delicious. Hoping for more of the same from this release

In the past, I would have included Henry McKenna SB in my top 3 or 4, but I can't find it anymore for under $60 out here.  If it's readily available where you live and under $50, it's definitely worthy trying.

I just happened on a bottle today at retail. Hadn’t seen one in a year maybe two since the stupid WA award made it impossible to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

TOP 10 BOURBON:
2ff48b9725e43da8c404c0950f04524c.jpg

After I took this shot I couldn’t believe I blanked on Woodinville, so if I had to swap the Ezra would get the axe.

Have 7 of the 10 currently in the cabinet, we may have similar “cheap” bourbon tastes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

TOP 10 BOURBON:
2ff48b9725e43da8c404c0950f04524c.jpg

After I took this shot I couldn’t believe I blanked on Woodinville, so if I had to swap the Ezra would get the axe.

TOP 10 RYE:
67b4cd3a4fe7d674f2b374ad3646d436.jpg

I didn't mention Woodinville above because I wasn't sure how "readily available" it is for most folks.  Otherwise, I definitely agree -- it's very good, esp. considering it's in the $30-35 range. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Thinking about picking up a new Rye or two for my Old Fashioneds. I've been using Sazerac and Templeton. What should I get? Rittenhouse? Pikesville? Other?

If you want to mix it up try the Old Grandad 114.  It's not a rye, but it's a very high rye bourbon (27%).  It's my go to for a Manhattan.  It's a bit punchy so make sure the ice melts a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Also, Brew, if you’re lacking that 1792 FP SiB... that needs to be remedied.

The Old Ezra, Rebel Yell, and Evan Williams. Several of the others are still unopened,’so I probably need to slow down my buying and increase my drinking 

8 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Damn good stuff there, love the lineup. 

Slight nit that RY10/HMc/Ezra may not be readily available to most.  Would plug 4RSBS and 4RSiB in there if you can't find those.  

Nevermind the OWA.  I’ll say it again, Redemption Wheated is better than both non-store pick OWA and RY10.  It’s also cheaper and more available if you’re more into the drinking than collecting.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

interesting.  buffalo trace started a single oak project a few years ago, but it was bottled under the charter oak brand.  i wonder if this is all the same project.

This is BEC and is getting pretty old at this point. Buffalo Trace maintained a website where you could leave reviews based on which bottling you purchased and I think they even made the results public.  I’ve only had one and it’s pretty unremarkable. 

• Like 1

Thinking about picking up a new Rye or two for my Old Fashioneds. I've been using Sazerac and Templeton. What should I get? Rittenhouse? Pikesville? Other?

For cocktail purposes, you should try the Kooper Family Rye if you have access to it. It’s great for the price point ($39), and they are a Texas company sourcing from multiple place and aging in Texas.
  • Like 1