Bourbon

Jimbaround

I know Barrell Bourbon is supposed to be overpriced, but how overpriced is it? Trying to figure out what I was just gifted 

I disagree that it’s overpriced. I think it’s legitimately good shit more often than not. Yes, it costs more than some bottles that are genuinely good, but I’ve never had a batch I didn’t like.

FWIW, Minnick just ranked Batch 26 as his second best bourbon of the year behind ORVW 15.

A cabinet full of bottles and as usual I’m drinking High West Ryes (Double and Rendezvous). I’m not sure when the last time I finished a different bottle was, but I know I’ve finished a couple of these the last few weeks. Something about them keeps me going back to them. I could have saved a ton of money by just being only these.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stork642 said:

Saw Old Fitzgerald 9 year for $299 the other day. Is that realistically about the best price it can be found?   

The ‘19 one is good, haven’t had the ‘20.  I picked up my ‘19 when secondary was $165 and then traded two W12 for a 15 year old fitz.  The decanters sit on my top shelf looking pretty. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

I disagree that it’s overpriced. I think it’s legitimately good shit more often than not. Yes, it costs more than some bottles that are genuinely good, but I’ve never had a batch I didn’t like.

FWIW, Minnick just ranked Batch 26 as his second best bourbon of the year behind ORVW 15.

I don’t have it right in front of me, but I believe it’s the batch 004 that’s finished in a run barrel. Have you had that one?

c49fc4d402004260c9057fb56a27c205.jpg

Also found this decanter that I haven’t seen in well over two years, probably closer to three. No idea what’s in it, but at that time I used it as a display piece since it has my initials and FD logo etched on it. I had a philosophy of keeping it full of JD or some other swill for those filthy peasants that insist on mixing. Take a swig? Yay or nay, first to get three votes is what I’ll do

Also found this decanter that I haven’t seen in well over two years, probably closer to three. No idea what’s in it, but at that time I used it as a display piece since it has my initials and FD logo etched on it. I had a philosophy of keeping it full of JD or some other swill for those filthy peasants that insist on mixing. Take a swig? Yay or nay, first to get three votes is what I’ll do

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Two amazing 11 year SAOS SiB in the background you humblebragging son of a bitch. God damn I respect you. 

• Like 3

d9fd3406ada6f35f780158fb55ba0b23.jpg

Merry Xmas, fuckers!

Started with the Nick last night, which was spectacular: Heavy burn for 90 Proof, char up front with a sweet finish. Gonna need to spend more time on that one, but had to keep the train going...

Nick -> Woodford Double Oak -> Sagamore Double Barrel -> Rock Hill Farms -> ECBP

The last two were a mistake as the RHF is too refined to follow that amount of oak, and the ECBP just kicked my ass right to bed.

On 12/24/2020 at 9:37 PM, USCATX said:

The ‘19 one is good, haven’t had the ‘20.  I picked up my ‘19 when secondary was $165 and then traded two W12 for a 15 year old fitz.  The decanters sit on my top shelf looking pretty. 

I love the decanters. Why other distilleries don’t follow this model surprises me.

3 hours ago, USCATX said:

It’s good, but I might trade mine away after getting a sample.  It’s more like $200 good than $350 good.  

that was my 2nd drink on xmas eve.  finally cracked it and was one of my favorite pours of the last few months.

not sure where anyone was recommending paying $350 for it though.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

that was my 2nd drink on xmas eve.  finally cracked it and was one of my favorite pours of the last few months.

not sure where anyone was recommending paying $350 for it though.

Point is it could be traded for something in the $350 range.  I don’t mind paying secondary for great stuff, but this doesn’t live up to the hype. 

Got a call from the local shop tonight with a “come in and You’ll be happy”... so, I’m happy, but I want to trade up on the Stagg.

Any takers here feel free to PM me, but as I have a bottle in house, I’m looking to trade out. Thoughts on secondary options are appreciated as I haven’t dipped my toes into those waters as of yet, but I have a long list.

899370ff995cda20a3bae972140c7d46.jpg