Bourbon

Jimbaround

Got a call from the local shop tonight with a “come in and You’ll be happy”... so, I’m happy, but I want to trade up on the Stagg.

Any takers here feel free to PM me, but as I have a bottle in house, I’m looking to trade out. Thoughts on secondary options are appreciated as I haven’t dipped my toes into those waters as of yet, but I have a long list.

899370ff995cda20a3bae972140c7d46.jpg

Nice!
Got one this year as well.
c35de314e20d1bf620132031177b3c9f.jpg
  • Like 1

I love the decanters. Why other distilleries don’t follow this model surprises me.

Back in the 60’s and 70’s Beam used to produce several different decorative bottles with hunting dogs and the like. My dad, who was never a bourbon drinker, was given one every year for many years. He never throws stuff away so they are still sitting on a closet shelf.

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Back in the 60’s and 70’s Beam used to produce several different decorative bottles with hunting dogs and the like. My dad, who was never a bourbon drinker, was given one every year for many years. He never throws stuff away so they are still sitting on a closet shelf.

I have like 40 of these sitting in storage that I inherited.  Are they worth any money?

I have like 40 of these sitting in storage that I inherited.  Are they worth any money?

My father always thought so which is why he saved them. With my dad’s poor health l will find out soon enough. I recall seeing numbers on them so they are fairly scarce. But it is Beam . . .

I think I am going to start getting into this.  My SIL is into it and I like whiskies so I think I am going to convert an armoire into a small batch liquor cabinet. AWAY from the main stash of booze. Here are the bottles I got for SIL for Christmas, along with four Glencarin tasting glasses.  The Pinhook was to help replace a bottle in his verticals that he was getting low on.  But I thought it was not bad gift to the young man.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m glad to see tequila taking off...
It’s certainly a cool bottle. 

Yeah we used to frequent Gloria's quite a bit re-covid and it was fun to see folks try to figure out how many shots were left in the bottle, as last shot gets the bottle.  I have also seen the bottles tossed into the trash... but it's fun to see folks buy shots until they get the bottle.  Especially if they have a few of Gloria's margaritas first! Thye were getting fucked up.

Tequila bottles are the most decorative IMO... lots of great options there.

Any thoughts on moving out of the Stagg? Where do you gents broker your trades?

Some of us are in the same group around DFW. I helped a buddy sell a bottle of W107 gold vein and Herbie, I think, sold his bottle to the same guy within the thread. BigD is in there too.

Are you in DFW? If so we can direct you.
The password is nipple.
  • Like 3

Just bought a bottle of this. Early birthday present to myself. Jeez the markup is silly, but it had a certificate in the box which was kind of cool. My local place gets really random allocations. I picked up a Michters Toasted Rye there, a Blantons, Eagle Rare and now this. But they will go a long time and get nada as they are a small place. I have read good things about this one. Looking forward to cracking it open down the line.

Thomas H. Handy 2020 Straight Rye Whiskey at CaskCartel.com

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 8:02 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Just an FYI, on the Buffalo Trace website they have a tab for "Our Brands".  There is a bit of history behind each bottle of the E H Taylor and Stagg brands.  The E H Taylor Warehouse C Tornado Survivor might be a nice one to have.

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Warehouse C Tornado Surviving (buffalotracedistillery.com)

Did you not see that I had a pour of this on xmas eve?

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Just bought a bottle of this. Early birthday present to myself. Jeez the markup is silly, but it had a certificate in the box which was kind of cool. My local place gets really random allocations. I picked up a Michters Toasted Rye there, a Blantons, Eagle Rare and now this. But they will go a long time and get nada as they are a small place. I have read good things about this one. Looking forward to cracking it open down the line.

Thomas H. Handy 2020 Straight Rye Whiskey at CaskCartel.com

That is a absolutely wonderful experience. Of all the shit I have over paid for, Handy was worth it...to me.

41 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

That is a absolutely wonderful experience. Of all the shit I have over paid for, Handy was worth it...to me.

I read some good reviews of it so when my local guy said he had one, I said “fuck it” and pulled trigger. Will pop it once Herman fired and new coach announced. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, huge said:

Did you not see that I had a pour of this on xmas eve?

No sir, I did not check in.  I would like to extend my apologies and would say I'm not worthy to post in this thread.  I'll check out your post and see myself to the door. 

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Kentucky passed a law saying distilleries can now sell bourbon online. 

Does this mean I can order Four Roses LE online now? Or am I still fucked?

Yeah I am sure it will just be sitting there on the virtual shelf waiting for you to mosey on by and order.

Have you seen what is going on out there?  People are fucking crazy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

hmm, so this should be good for me, being in a state where delivery is allowed.

when does it take effect?

They previously passed it. It’s effective now. Although checking some distillery websites, they having built any of this out yet. Seems like they would like to skip the middle man, but need to build our shipping department 

This is a legit haul for me by chance today. Never seen Blue Corn Bourbon on a shelf, and the BT was just sitting there, last bottle. I usually have to catch a “special release” post on Facebook to get a bottle. I won’t crack the Blue Corn until tomorrow, but there were about 10 bottles on the shelf. Should I get another? Or is it going to start being more available?

1D400486-4366-4E03-A598-704CFC0F3639.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2020ThomasH.HandyStraightRyeWhiskey_600x_cd2e5d3c-92ee-46ea-96ca-064439338772_300x.jpg?v=1603105386

Did the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago for my birthday. It’s a big one so I said fork it. The only time I’ve ever seen it on the shelf. Paid 3X MSRP. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9a20ac6a0b8c7f670d8bc937aa9f8231.jpg

This Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye just dropped in Houston this week. Limit 1 at a Total Wine but you can buy multiples at Spec’s.

Opened last night. It’s fucking great. I don’t think a ton of bottles will be released, but right now it’s under the radar and on the shelf.

$60. The bottle itself looks cheap and is a screwtop. But if you want an excellent cask strength rye, grab it now while you can. Word will get out soon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

9a20ac6a0b8c7f670d8bc937aa9f8231.jpg

This Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye just dropped in Houston this week. Limit 1 at a Total Wine but you can buy multiples at Spec’s.

Opened last night. It’s fucking great. I don’t think a ton of bottles will be released, but right now it’s under the radar and on the shelf.

$60. The bottle itself looks cheap and is a screwtop. But if you want an excellent cask strength rye, grab it now while you can. Word will get out soon.

It’s also sold under the Whistlepig label for double the price 

• Hook 'Em 1

Typically go into Specs in Friendswood once a week. Have my name out for Blantons and Weller 12 for 9 months. I knew some had come in. Went up to the manager and complained about being on the list and no calls. He walked to the back and brought me out 2 Weller 12. $29.00 per bottle.

I love this specs. Never a weller 12 but a month ago I walked in and out with 1792 12 year and eht sb right off the shelf.

Anyone put their lips on this yet? Gonna have a taste later but picked it up solely on the advice of a store manager I trust. But shit, if WA state can produce a solid bourbon I don’t see why CA can’t do the same...

0c7379980cd4c65c7cb42ad6cec036b6.jpg

Hell yes!
Got a local club pick of that last year and it’s incredible!
  • Like 1