Bourbon

Jimbaround

57 minutes ago, Jimbaround said:
1 hour ago, smokeeater said:
my source has a bottle of parkers heritage 11 with my name on it.
anyone have strong opinions, either way?

I wouldn't say strong, but it is very nice and the bottle is cool. If buying it doesn't make you sweat, get it as a nice addition to your bar.

At 135. I think Ill pull the trigger

• Like 2

Huge fan of Noah Mills.  I also enjoy Rowans Creek quite a bit.

Lately, I have been enjoying Walking Stick.  Anyone else tried it?  Sometimes hard to find at Specs, but its damned good.  I alsways get 2-3 bottles when I am lucky enough to find it.

1 hour ago, Izhmash said:

Huge fan of Noah Mills.  I also enjoy Rowans Creek quite a bit.

Lately, I have been enjoying Walking Stick.  Anyone else tried it?  Sometimes hard to find at Specs, but its damned good.  I alsways get 2-3 bottles when I am lucky enough to find it.

I have a Walking Stick that I haven't opened.  Never tried it.  I'll let the board know when I do so.

Treated a friend to happy hour last night at a trendy cocktail bar and found out that they have George T Stagg for $25 a pour.  Never seen it in town so couldn't pass it up.  Man, there's a lot bombarding the palette.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was worth the cost.

Picked this up today. It’s very different.
Definitely pick up the sweetness of the corn in the mashbill that is so dominant in the True Blue but it’s got a good spice from the rye and the finish is a mix of coffee and chocolate.
It’s good and was only $40. Think it will make a good OF.

26829bfd7d68be400566a2acdb7838db.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/28/2018 at 4:54 PM, Quagmire said:

Is that your bar in the background ? Holy shit that’s a lot of stuff

On 3/28/2018 at 4:21 PM, Whiskyteer said:

This is to add to the Eagle Rare posts. Now don’t get me wrong, I love BT mashbill #1 and have some stellar older aged store pick bottles, but this Old Prentice juice is on a whole different level.  What I get on the nose, is Lammes chocolate longhorns and oak.  It tastes of caramel, kb7kva.jpgchocolate, pecan, vanilla, oak, dried cherry and orange peel.  What I like best is the full long robust oily finish that seems to never end.

Please tell me much more about Eagle Rare 101. 

The current stuff, 90 proof is my weekend drinker. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 7:26 PM, Quagmire said:

So now that I have tried weller 12, I like it as much as Blantons or maybe better , plus the price 1/3 the cost . Thoughts?

Call my crazy, but I like Weller Antique more than 12. It makes you wonder what 12 could be at a higher proof. 

In my experience, Antique is much harder to find than 12. I won't buy 12 unless they sell me a 1.75L. It's good, but I want to maximize value.

I'll pay double the MSRP for Antique without hesitation. 

Blanton's vs. Weller Antique is tough one for me. Antique is always consistently good, but Blanton's if you hit on a really good barrel is tough to beat. I love wheated bourbons, but a good Blanton;s barrel will beat it. 

I've seen rumors that Blanton's might be added to BTAC which is fing nuts. It's good and it'll punch above its price point, but it's not up there with the other BTAC bottles. 

12 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
31 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Where did you find it?

Spec's Atascocita. Went looking for Eagle Rare(sold out, of course).

I'd call around to the smaller Spec's locations. They have plenty of the orange and blue Maker's behind the counter. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 3/29/2018 at 12:49 AM, Carl Spackler said:

Cracked open the Henry McKenna BIB last night.  Nice.  As expected, a flavor profile similar to EWSB but with more heat.  

I liked it but not smooth like Eagle Rare. Pretty bad hangover as well. I'd rather horde Eagle Rare as my weekend drinker than buy McKenna BIB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
I liked it but not smooth like Eagle Rare. Pretty bad hangover as well. I'd rather horde Eagle Rare as my weekend drinker than buy McKenna BIB. 

ER is great for the price. I need to buy a couple cases.

It's getting tougher to find. If Buffalo Trace wants to keep selling Weller 12 and Eagle Rare in 1.75L bottles, I'll keep buying them. 

If any of y'all are in Houston, stop by Armadillo Palace. Pappy 10 & 12, Elmer, Old Fitzgerald in the red case, Mitcher's 10, E.H. Taylor Four Grain and Seasoned Wood, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, 18/21, and Boss Hog. Probably the most impressive collective I've seen in Houston. Four Grain was $32 a pour. 

The Elmer was $15 a pour. If you've never had it, Elmer will take your breath away. So damn smooth. Amazing, amazing bourbon for $30 a bottle. I've never seen it in the wild, if I do I, I'll buy every bottle they have. 

If any of y'all are in Houston, stop by Armadillo Palace. Pappy 10 & 12, Elmer, Old Fitzgerald in the red case, Mitcher's 10, E.H. Taylor Four Grain and Seasoned Wood, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, 18/21, and Boss Hog. Probably the most impressive collective I've seen in Houston.

You must not try many places if that's the most impressive collection you've seen in Houston. Hell there's a dozen posters on this board located in Houston with substantially better bars than that.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Call my crazy, but I like Weller Antique more than 12. It makes you wonder what 12 could be at a higher proof. 

In my experience, Antique is much harder to find than 12. I won't buy 12 unless they sell me a 1.75L. It's good, but I want to maximize value.

I'll pay double the MSRP for Antique without hesitation. 

Blanton's vs. Weller Antique is tough one for me. Antique is always consistently good, but Blanton's if you hit on a really good barrel is tough to beat. I love wheated bourbons, but a good Blanton;s barrel will beat it. 

I've seen rumors that Blanton's might be added to BTAC which is fing nuts. It's good and it'll punch above its price point, but it's not up there with the other BTAC bottles. 

Not for me. I can usually find 107 every other month someplace. I haven't seen 12 in about 6 month or more, but have been able to purchase 3 12's in the last week. They are out there right now. Once they are gone, I wouldn't expect to see anymore until the late summer/early fall.

What's your view on Orphan Barrel. I have had several bars trying to push this to me over the last several weeks. One of them had the Rhetoric 23 for $50. Thought that was a bit much for a bourbon I know little about.

Edited by ckhorn
DA

58 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I thought the mash bill is 100% rye.

Released in mid-March 2018 in celebration of the distillery's 10th anniversary, this rye whiskey from Balcones is made from 100% rye and is bottled at 100 proof. The rye mash bill includes 80% raw elbon grain from north and northwest Texas as well as crystal, chocolate, and roasted rye varieties. Aged just under two years, this product is matured in new American oak barrels and diluted to proof with Hill Country spring water. 

https://distiller.com/spirits/balcones-texas-rye-100-proof

Not for me. I can usually find 107 every other month someplace. I haven't seen 12 in about 6 month or more, but have been able to purchase 3 12's in the last week. They are out there right now. Once they are gone, I wouldn't expect to see anymore until the late summer/early fall.

What's your view on Orphan Barrel. I have had several bars trying to push this to me over the last several weeks. One of them had the Rhetoric 23 for $50. Thought that was a bit much for a bourbon I know little about.

Age is a tricky thing for Bourbon because bourbon doesn’t always continue to improve in the Barrel past a certain point (lower for wheaters, higher for high ryes) unless the aging conditions are just right. The nature of Orphan Barrel makes that a bit of a crapshoot when they are on the level about the program and cyncical marketing garbage when they aren’t.

Some of the Orphan Barrel program is very good, some of them aren’t, and I don’t think any of it is really great. But they are all interesting. So the best way to approach them in my opinion is to get a pour of any given OB release at a well stocked bar before buying.

This stuff is all subjective. Drink what you like and pay accordingly, because that’s good whiskey for you, but my personal opinion is that Rhetoric in particular falls into the second category. It’s not bad but it’s very expensive for what it is. Lost Prophet (if you can find it) on the other hand, is in the first. It’s very likely equivalent to the oldest George T Stagg on the planet. If you like GTS, you’ll probably like Lost Prophet.

• Like 3

Picked this up today. It’s very different.
Definitely pick up the sweetness of the corn in the mashbill that is so dominant in the True Blue but it’s got a good spice from the rye and the finish is a mix of coffee and chocolate.
It’s good and was only $40. Think it will make a good OF.

26829bfd7d68be400566a2acdb7838db.jpg

Where did you find this? I assumed it was only at the distillery and would sell out on release date. Is it in the wild? Does the distillery still have some for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

where are yall finding that rye at?

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Goody goody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Picked it up at Total Wine Lakeline last weekend for about $35.  Haven't seen it at any Twin Liquors yet.

13 hours ago, ERhine said:

You must not try many places if that's the most impressive collection you've seen in Houston. Hell there's a dozen posters on this board located in Houston with substantially better bars than that.

Yeah, and their prices are out of this world.

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm a fan of ER, but I've gotta admit that I'm kicking myself for not trying the McKenna BIB sooner.  More heat than the most recent vintage of EWSB, but still smooth with no burn.  I get a fair amount of vanilla from the McKenna, which I like.  Definitely another worthy candidate in the $25-35 range, along with BT, EWSB, ER and a bunch of others.    

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Elmer was $15 a pour. If you've never had it, Elmer will take your breath away. So damn smooth. Amazing, amazing bourbon for $30 a bottle. I've never seen it in the wild, if I do I, I'll buy every bottle they have. 

ETL is extremely scarce in my neck of the woods.  And when my local shop (amazing collection of bourbons and ryes) does have it, they want $100+ for it.  I haven't seen ETL at $30 in years.