Bourbon

Jimbaround

40 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Buddy and I are heading to KY on Thursday.
Short trip so can’t hit everything I want to,
But hitting Maker’s on Friday to hand dip bottles from my Ambassador barrel and Saturday we have a private tour setup with:
a64174f505cf42e5cab179d4d5d14c70.jpg

Wife and I got him by chance on a public tour a couple of years ago.  He’s fantastic for that gig!

4 hours ago, huge said:

I like Sagamore as much as the next guy but WAY BETTER?!?!?!?

The port barrel finish makes MWND a little too sugary and figgy IMO. When I drink rye I want the spicy cinnamon taste of the rye to come screaming out at the forefront and I think the Sagamore does that. Also taste herbal notes like mint and dill in the finish that I enjoy. Honestly, I like Bourye and Double Rye better then MWND. I know I'm probably in the minority.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hilarious that this is one per customer. Funnier still that it sold out in an hour. 

5E436E12-02F1-42B7-A5E5-8A6BF28CA5DE.thumb.jpeg.edc9cc99ae1a905ca0053d9c81463d06.jpeg

I like the 1792s that I've had fine (Small Batch, Single Barrel, Full Proof), but I don't think there's much difference between the bottles other than the differences in proof. I think the cheapest one (Small Batch I think) is probably a solid daily drinking buy, and the rest are passes 

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

I like the 1792s that I've had fine (Small Batch, Single Barrel, Full Proof), but I don't think there's much difference between the bottles other than the differences in proof. I think the cheapest one (Small Batch I think) is probably a solid daily drinking buy, and the rest are passes 

1792 BiB is essentially Tom Moore BiB. Handles are $20 and collect dust on the shelves. However, if Spec's slaps a sticker on a 1792 BiB bottle, they can charge $40, and it'll sell out in an hour. 

I think Tom Moore is better than 1792 BiB, and this includes the Spec's Store Pick. 

This on consumers not knowing what they're buying/FOMO. I can't blame Spec's for wanting to make money. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

1792 BiB is essentially Tom Moore BiB. Handles are $20 and collect dust on the shelves. However, if Spec's slaps a sticker on a 1792 BiB bottle, they can charge $40, and it'll sell out in an hour. 

I think Tom Moore is better than 1792 BiB, and this includes the Spec's Store Pick. 

This on consumers not knowing what they're buying/FOMO. I can't blame Spec's for wanting to make money. 

I think a lot of it is people buying anything that says Single Barrel, BIB,  Full Proof, Barrel Proof, etc while also saying Kentucky on the bottle

14 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The Elmer in the middle with the foil still on the cap makes me think. Do you guys pull the tab on the foil and leave the rest of it intact? My ocd gets the best of me. I have to remove all of the foil, from the cap itself and the entirety of the foil on the neck.

All the foil must go.

• Like 1

Had a gift card to specs, so I decided to get two decent bottles. I’ve always thought of Jefferson’s Ocean as a marketing gimmick, but I heard a good review from someone I trust, so I decided to give it a shot. Also got the Remus Repeal, which is 12 year MGP which also has some good reviews 

Had a gift card to specs, so I decided to get two decent bottles. I’ve always thought of Jefferson’s Ocean as a marketing gimmick, but I heard a good review from someone I trust, so I decided to give it a shot. Also got the Remus Repeal, which is 12 year MGP which also has some good reviews 

Can’t speak to the JO but in a big fan of the Remus Repeal Reserve. Never had to I, but the II was good, and the III was fantastic. Went through several. Just haven’t gotten around to grabbing a IV yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Fud said:

I would never buy a bottle of Jefferson’s Ocean, but if I had a gift card... yeah I could see myself buying something a little out there. Why the hell not? 

7 hours ago, huge said:

Ocean is good. It’s not $80 good but I’ve enjoyed it plenty of times.

Remus Repeal is a better deal at that price point IMO.

Cheers

I think Ocean was actually closer to $65 at Spec’s, but I could be misremembering. I think the Remus was closer to $80

I'm calling on the power of the Surly here : I need help sourcing a bottle of a Bardstown Discovery Series 4. I've been all over Houston, and I haven't been able to find it. Has anyone seen it recently? With the exception of Facebook, all of my online sources have dried up. 

331c420136bde079649a9f529712c5b9.png
GG West Oaks is showing 2 available right now

On 2/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, H_Boogie said:

The unthinkable has happened. I actually got drawn for a Saz18 from Total Wine’s drawing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the email that I have a Blanton’s waiting for me. I’ll take it, but I wish it was something I’d never had before though. 

43 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How does the Total Wine drawing work? Is it weekly like Goody Goody? 

It’s once or twice a year and pretty much based only off total spend. I bought a ton of assorted booze for a social event last year. 

48 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How does the Total Wine drawing work? Is it weekly like Goody Goody? 

Looks like you have to be part of their grand reserve club, which looks like you have to spend $2,500 I think in the previous year to qualify 

1 hour ago, drt said:

I got the email that I have a Blanton’s waiting for me. I’ll take it, but I wish it was something I’d never had before though. 

Same. Pretty disappointing that $4600 since August only gets me the opportunity to buy a single bottle of Blanton's from them. I gotta find a new place.