Bourbon

Jimbaround

A saint among men and coworker put me on to some Bardstown Discovery. I hope it’s still there in the morning. I’d be doing 90 to get down there right now, but I’m a couple pours in. NASA Liquor’s Old Scout white label pick is good. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The people bitching about how they spent X amount of dollars at TW and didn’t win shit or didn’t win something highly allocated make me cringe and my local groups are full of them. Lotteries, how do they work?

My thought is at least it gives you a shot at a Van Winkle/BATC at MSRP

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think 1897 is better than 1910. 1910 can taste like a bonfire if you catch it at the right moment. 

Double Oaked is tasty. I was pleasantly surprised. 

Maker’s Mark 101 is pretty damned close to  Private Select, and it’s $20 cheaper. MM keeps spitting in our eyes. We cry out for well aged MM, and they give us a different stave blend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think 1897 is better than 1910. 1910 can taste like a bonfire if you catch it at the right moment. 

Double Oaked is tasty. I was pleasantly surprised. 

Maker’s Mark 101 is pretty damned close to  Private Select, and it’s $20 cheaper. MM keeps spitting in our eyes. We cry out for well aged MM, and they give us a different stave blend. 

i also enjoy the 1897.

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Interesting, haven't had a bad bottle of the 1910 yet.  The 1897 sits on the shelves around here by the case full.  The 1910, and 1920 are usually only a couple bottles of each. Grabbed a lone bottle of 1920 last night. Gonna have to try the 1897 next trip.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Interesting, haven't had a bad bottle of the 1910 yet.  The 1897 sits on the shelves around here by the case full.  The 1910, and 1920 are usually only a couple bottles of each. Grabbed a lone bottle of 1920 last night. Gonna have to try the 1897 next trip.

It's fine

12 hours ago, Fud said:

Readily available bottles you buy which you find yourself finishing much faster than the other bottles you have:

Old Forester 1910

Makers Mark Private Select

Woodford Double Oaked

I concur.  I have the same bottles except substitute 4RSiB for Woodford double oaked. 

I don’t get many special bottles anymore, tired of the hunt and spending the money if needed, so literally just drink those three bottles. Good example, bought an EC18 because never had if before, and drank half of it, it’s okay but too oaky for me, found myself just wanting to drink 1910 instead 

28 minutes ago, huge said:

both?

Last night was something

Kosher Rye Recipe

Disco 2

Michters 10

Michters Toasted Rye Barrel Strength

Probably some other shit I don't remember

@henrygandorf what am I missing?

wtmk bib. 

you went m10, then toasted, then back to m10. 

things went sideways. i got into some hitters as well. 

blantons sp -> mm wood finish -> stagg, jr -> 4r le (which i finished in bed). 

i feel like a hundred dollars. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I concur.  I have the same bottles except substitute 4RSiB for Woodford double oaked. 

I don’t get many special bottles anymore, tired of the hunt and spending the money if needed, so literally just drink those three bottles. Good example, bought an EC18 because never had if before, and drank half of it, it’s okay but too oaky for me, found myself just wanting to drink 1910 instead 

All the 1910 around me has dried up.  Have only seen it once in the past 2-3 months and they wanted $80 for it.  No thanks.  Guess I'm a Buffalo Trace/Elijah Craig guy now.  They seem to be the only ones I can find consistently.

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

All the 1910 around me has dried up.  Have only seen it once in the past 2-3 months and they wanted $80 for it.  No thanks.  Guess I'm a Buffalo Trace/Elijah Craig guy now.  They seem to be the only ones I can find consistently.

It's so weird what you find where in the country.  I haven't seen Weller around here for so long I cannot even remember seeing it on shelves.  Go to CO, and it's on the shelves at Shitty Market most times I'm in one.  1910, and 1920 are usually on the shelves around here, Buffalo Trace rarely anymore.  Then you hear Blantons sits on shelves in places in Ca.   I think they're just fucking with us now.

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's so weird what you find where in the country.  I haven't seen Weller around here for so long I cannot even remember seeing it on shelves.  Go to CO, and it's on the shelves at Shitty Market most times I'm in one.  1910, and 1920 are usually on the shelves around here, Buffalo Trace rarely anymore.  Then you hear Blantons sits on shelves in places in Ca.   I think they're just fucking with us now.

I've never seen any Weller other than SR on the shelves in CO in over 10 years, except I saw Weller 12 once and it was $100.  And grocery stores out here don't sell booze, with a couple very rare exceptions.  What City Market has Weller on the shelves?

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I've never seen any Weller other than SR on the shelves in CO in over 10 years, except I saw Weller 12 once and it was $100.  And grocery stores out here don't sell booze, with a couple very rare exceptions.  What City Market has Weller on the shelves?

Sorry (I hit the dispensary first), guess the place next to shitty market in Breck on Airport rd. The last 3x I've been there they had a bottle on the shelf or one in the back room.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sorry (I hit the dispensary first), guess the place next to shitty market in Breck on Airport rd. The last 3x I've been there they had a bottle on the shelf or one in the back room.  

Gotcha.  Weller SR or something better?  I'm rarely in Breck but will have to stop by next time I'm over there.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

this is not the case, at least nowhere near me.  i've seen blanton's once in the case at pavilions, but that was rare and it was a single bottle (and i've been to pavilions 100+ times).  i have no trouble finding it, but it's always in the stash room.  we have eagle rare freaking everywhere, including target, cvs, etc, for $30.  but we never ever have anything weller, not even special reserve, which i know hangs on the shelves in texas.

The store I bought this at probably has the most Discovery outside of Bardstown, Kentucky. 3 is on the left. 
180DC14C-40C4-40ED-B671-CDC9447644B6.thumb.jpeg.394f3e05c12cc0414f08b337d8a96cdd.jpeg

a61941786e42c8888dababddb228fbe0.jpg
Just had the 3 at lunch. Great pour!
Their food is fucking great. Couldn’t decide on the chicken sandwich or the waygu burger, so we split both.
Outstanding!
Distillery is really cool a d the vintage library is what dreams are made of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

a61941786e42c8888dababddb228fbe0.jpg
Just had the 3 at lunch. Great pour!
Their food is fucking great. Couldn’t decide on the chicken sandwich or the waygu burger, so we split both.
Outstanding!
Distillery is really cool a d the vintage library is what dreams are made of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m just here for the Freddie tour pics. 

46 minutes ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Just got an ec toasted barrel at the local spot by me. I feel like I’ve been looking for it fir a year. Excited to try.

Hope you’re not as disappointed as I was.  I only buy them to trade now.  Some toasted and double barreled products really land well for me and others have a wet cardboard smell and bitter oak note on the palate that I just can’t get down with. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Our son got this for a Christmas gift. Put moonshine in it, and an enclosed packet and let it age to make your own bourbon. We tried it tonight and it's actually not too bad. After finishing it you add more moonshine and make scotch, and after that rum. 

20210227_175550.jpg

I don’t know that I would actually use it. But the damn thing looks cool.

Our son got this for a Christmas gift. Put moonshine in it, and an enclosed packet and let it age to make your own bourbon. We tried it tonight and it's actually not too bad. After finishing it you add more moonshine and make scotch, and after that rum. 
20210227_175550.thumb.jpg.26c754379e76ca6a6aef2de6d8038d6c.jpg

I got a 5L version of this for Christmas. I filled it with 3.75L of BT White Dog (mash bill 1), 375ml of Still Austin’s first batch of high rye bourbon, and 4 ounces each of various bourbons (Larceny BP, EHT SmB, 4R SiB cask strength, Smokewagon UU, OF1910, and MM SE4xPR5).

I stashed it in my garage so it’s more exposed to temperature variations. I’ve been checking it out every couple of weeks since the first of the year, and it’s definitely progressing. It’s drinking well, but I’m gonna let it roll for a bit as I really want to see what happens when the temps get consistently warm.

Fun side project. I may try a barrel aged cocktail after that, but 5L is a lot of cocktails.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Anyone ever open a bottle and it smell funky? I opened an Eagle Rare last night. I’m very familiar with what it should smell and taste like, but there is this weird off putting smell, almost rotten. I couldn’t even finish my drink. Are there duds? Is this a thing? 

Brand new bottle? 

Ok, so this is outstanding and I honestly can’t wait to dip a cigar in and spark it proper. A bit too bold for a weeknight pour but just right for Saturday night.

95e5e3517c742f5f63545ed7d550887c.jpg

FiL, who is a great guy despite being from Ohio, pulled out this gem. The bottle is way cooler than what was inside and I wish he only had a Texas incarnation.

64f84c105f1b4f1a347fe1475080a577.jpg

Also happened to taste my first EHT Barrel Strength and got DAMN that is a fire pour. Delicious, but filled with unending heat!

Weekend trip to KY was a fucking blast.
Had some great luck hitting stores around the distilleries and in Nashville on the way home.
Had the best luck in Kroger’s in Frankfort and Lexington.
Only downside to the trip was that Freddie was a no show for our tour yesterday,
No idea why. Buddy I went with had it all setup but it just didn’t come to fruition.
But we still did a behind the scenes tour which was cool as hell.
Highlight was when we were walking through one of the warehouses, the guide pointed out one of the barrels in the experimental area had a slight wet area and said, go ahead and dip your finger and have a taste.
Omg. It was marked mizunara cask finish.
It was freaking incredible.
Wish I would’ve had a straw.

Picked up a few glens too.
bc4244dca962bb4a44522622ae38bdd2.jpg

While on the tour at Maker’s, Bill Samuels pulled up in an atv and walked through our group into a warehouse. He was really nice.
44c52b5411565b9191200a8ba9ee1836.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That’s a new one for me. Allegedly BT will cut you a check if the bottle is defective. 

Man, if somebody has enough time on their hands to hassle BT about a bad bottle of ER10 they may have bigger issues than a cork taint bottle.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/26/2021 at 11:52 AM, Chewbacca said:

Gotcha.  Weller SR or something better?  I'm rarely in Breck but will have to stop by next time I'm over there.

I’ve had solid luck at Antlers in Frisco each year we are out there. Picked up a Michters 10 year last year for a great price. They have always had something.

• Like 1