Bourbon

Jimbaround

This could be my new favorite Texas Bourbon. And by that I mean 12 year MGP bottled in Bulverde.  Oaky, sweet and that note that seems a little like tobacco that I really enjoy in good MGP.  With Boone County 12 gone and my unwillingness to buy one of those dumbass guitar shaped bottles, this might be my new go-to MGP sipper.  I also enjoy the extremely bottom shelf look of the bottle and label. 

B3A43771-2067-4A91-847A-6D782694032F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, USCATX said:

This could be my new favorite Texas Bourbon. And by that I mean 12 year MGP bottled in Bulverde.  Oaky, sweet and that note that seems a little like tobacco that I really enjoy in good MGP.  With Boone County 12 gone and my unwillingness to buy one of those dumbass guitar shaped bottles, this might be my new go-to MGP sipper.  I also enjoy the extremely bottom shelf look of the bottle and label. 

B3A43771-2067-4A91-847A-6D782694032F.jpeg

How does it compare to Boone County 12? If it’s in the same neighborhood, I’m buying a case. 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How does it compare to Boone County 12? If it’s in the same neighborhood, I’m buying a case. 

Definitely in the same neighborhood.  I don’t have an open BC12 right now but I’ve never tried anything 90 proof against BC12 that could beat it.  I bought two and would buy more.  

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Noted. I’ll load up. 

Are you actually seeing this on shelves?  I see the 10, which is Tennessee, on the regular but had to grab this in San Antonio which is way better for shelf finds than Austin. 

Are you actually seeing this on shelves?  I see the 10, which is Tennessee, on the regular but had to grab this in San Antonio which is way better for shelf finds than Austin. 

It appears to be at scattered TW locations I just checked in the Dallas area, so there must be enough to trigger “in stock.” Not all of them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

It appears to be at scattered TW locations I just checked in the Dallas area, so there must be enough to trigger “in stock.” Not all of them though.

Well there’s nothing else like this camped out on the shelf. 

Well there’s nothing else like this camped out on the shelf. 

Yeah I haven’t placed an order yet, but I trust your review and will be picking one up this week. I’ve already bought 2 bottles of a store pick Presidential Dram, a Senator, and two 100 proof Tumbling Dice this week, so I decided I need to “wait until next week” to buy another bottle. This fiscal week is closed.

14 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

Yeah I haven’t placed an order yet, but I trust your review and will be picking one up this week. I’ve already bought 2 bottles of a store pick Presidential Dram, a Senator, and two 100 proof Tumbling Dice this week, so I decided I need to “wait until next week” to buy another bottle. This fiscal week is closed.

This one or the young stuff?  I already miss mine and it’s only been like two weeks.  

71024900-C2CD-43C5-8F63-7F44CE337D6A.jpeg

This one or the young stuff?  I already miss mine and it’s only been like two weeks.  
71024900-C2CD-43C5-8F63-7F44CE337D6A.thumb.jpeg.c8f8fe4c09e55d81607675a164398b19.jpeg

I was aware of this one, but I haven’t come across it yet. Only the young stuff and had a little bit of a local barrel proof pick that a buddy picked up. For $35, the 100 proof is good compared to some of the other labels out there charging twice as much for the same contents.

97f73b031ee41a0a08753568a23624e9.jpg

HenryGandorf sent me the bourbon Chicken Cock a couple of months ago, and I bought the rye Chicken Cock last week at Total Wine.

I uncorked both cocks over the weekend, and I have to admit they were both pretty tasty. The bourbon cock unloaded a 90 proof version of John J. Bowman/Buffalo Trace. It went down the throat like butter. The rye cock was also easy to swallow, with your typical rye notes (herbal tea, cinnamon) and someone clearly ate some pineapple when making it.

Both cocks were pricey ($60-70), so I don’t necessarily recommend multiple grabs. But it’s a fun vessel, ribbed for your pleasure. Worth experimenting with when feeling frisky. You only live once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

HenryGandorf sent me the bourbon Chicken Cock a couple of months ago, and I bought the rye Chicken Cock last week at Total Wine.

I uncorked both cocks over the weekend, and I have to admit they were both pretty tasty. The bourbon cock unloaded a 90 proof version of John J. Bowman/Buffalo Trace. It went down the throat like butter. The rye cock was also easy to swallow, with your typical rye notes (herbal tea, cinnamon) and someone clearly ate some pineapple when making it.

Both cocks were pricey ($60-70), so I don’t necessarily recommend multiple grabs. But it’s a fun vessel, ribbed for your pleasure. Worth experimenting with when feeling frisky. You only live once.

niiiiiiiiice

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 7:47 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

Since no one else will do it, I guess i’ll have to:

Ya never thought an evening spent chugging cock would be so satisfying, amirite...?

• Hook 'Em 2

On the shelf everywhere in Austin. 
1C1F8A13-8B86-4791-B561-BC129452F3C0.thumb.jpeg.b73ef13cc169535f3fd956eddc811aba.jpeg

That’s funny. I think Dallas has the blessing (hey, it’s there!) and the curse (hey, gone!) of a lot of groups that post arrivals. No sense scouting, because your months of scouting/buying are shot in a single post.

Disclaimer: Not a makers guy, but have actually come across some products I’ve liked in this lineup.

19 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

That’s funny. I think Dallas has the blessing (hey, it’s there!) and the curse (hey, gone!) of a lot of groups that post arrivals. No sense scouting, because your months of scouting/buying are shot in a single post.

Disclaimer: Not a makers guy, but have actually come across some products I’ve liked in this lineup.

I don’t quite understand the groups’ rules. My buddy caught a suspension from Katy Bourbon Society for asking where he could find some Bardstown Discovery 4. 

I don’t know enough about hunting in other cities to make an educated comment. Houston just keeps getting tougher. You have to run into an allocated release at the big box stores within an hour of them putting it out or you’re not getting a bottle. If I’m lucky friends will tip me off after they get their fill.

I think there’s some hope from small mom and pop operations, but there are 100 shitty stores for every 1 good store. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t quite understand the groups’ rules. My buddy caught a suspension from Katy Bourbon Society for asking where he could find some Bardstown Discovery 4. 

I don’t know enough about hunting in other cities to make an educated comment. Houston just keeps getting tougher. You have to run into an allocated release at the big box stores within an hour of them putting it out or you’re not getting a bottle. If I’m lucky friends will tip me off after they get their fill.

I think there’s some hope from small mom and pop operations, but there are 100 shitty stores for every 1 good store. 

I get a Blanton's/Eagle Rare/OWA/EHT Small Batch level bottle about once every 2-3 weeks from my honey hole, but I doubt they'll ever get a BTAC or VW, although they did get me a MWND once. I buy some from Ryan's Liquor and TW to give me an outside chance at landing one of those at a good price in a lotto/raffle

Haha don’t ask don’t tell. No, I haven’t seen that happen (banning for inquiries). Most I’ve come across are really good about information, questions, and as many picks as you could want if you’ve got the time on the weekends. It’s the other releases that one person posts a comment/question about (usually a newbie whose new hobby is to acquire as many as possible regardless of consumption) that someone then provides the nuclear codes. I do always get a laugh out of the late trucks and mid-afternoon releases like Tilted Bottles’ store yesterday. Not because I personally got anything... but because all the jokers in their trucks or lawn chairs at 9am either left empty-handed 2-3 hours earlier, or they wasted extra time of their day having to wait around or come back.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

I get a Blanton's/Eagle Rare/OWA/EHT Small Batch level bottle about once every 2-3 weeks from my honey hole, but I doubt they'll ever get a BTAC or VW, although they did get me a MWND once. I buy some from Ryan's Liquor and TW to give me an outside chance at landing one of those at a good price in a lotto/raffle

Enjoy it while it lasts. The small stores tattle on each other to their distributors/Buffalo Trace. My Blanton's/Weller honey hole was shut in by a competitor up the street. 

10 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

Haha don’t ask don’t tell. No, I haven’t seen that happen (banning for inquiries). Most I’ve come across are really good about information, questions, and as many picks as you could want if you’ve got the time on the weekends. It’s the other releases that one person posts a comment/question about (usually a newbie whose new hobby is to acquire as many as possible regardless of consumption) that someone then provides the nuclear codes. I do always get a laugh out of the late trucks and mid-afternoon releases like Tilted Bottles’ store yesterday. Not because I personally got anything... but because all the jokers in their trucks or lawn chairs at 9am either left empty-handed 2-3 hours earlier, or they wasted extra time of their day having to wait around or come back.

The Rabbit in Houston pulled this with the Jack Cask Barrel Proof Rye around Christmas. It made me smile. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Enjoy it while it lasts. The small stores tattle on each other to their distributors/Buffalo Trace. My Blanton's/Weller honey hole was shut in by a competitor up the street. 

What's to tattle about? I think they barely get any bottles, and they mostly save them for me and they say one other guy, because we give them a lot of business 

Just now, Fud said:

What's to tattle about? I think they barely get any bottles, and they mostly save them for me and they say one other guy, because we give them a lot of business 

Much like customers, stores are always asking for Blanton's. If a nearby store regularly gets Blanton's and the other store doesn't, they'll run to their distributor to tattle and complain. And I understand their reasoning. They're probably buying tons of Wheatley vodka and Blanton's flavored maple syrup just for the right to sell Blanton's. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Much like customers, stores are always asking for Blanton's. If a nearby store regularly gets Blanton's and the other store doesn't, they'll run to their distributor to tattle and complain. And I understand their reasoning. They're probably buying tons of Wheatley vodka and Blanton's flavored maple syrup just for the right to sell Blanton's. 

To be clear, I wasn't saying that I get each one of those bottles every 2-3 weeks, but that I just get one bottle at that level every 2-3 weeks. I think I've gotten three Blanton's there in about 10 months since I've been going. I'm not sure if they actually get much allocated stuff at all, I think they just don't get many bourbon customers; it's a bit in the ghetto

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've been meaning to pay Lynn's a visit, but some of my fellow West Houstonians directed me elsewhere in the Houston Restaurant thread. 

I love old school steakhouses, and a top flight bourbon bar only makes it more appealing. 

Now the bourbon selections are hardly top flight.  But they are old.  There is a Rare Breed bottle that has been there for years.  At least 1 label iteration ago.  Possibly more.

Lynn's is good enough.  Plenty of lunch options under $20 and a good wine list.

This. Picked up an OWA at TW in Austin last week about 4:30 in the afternoon. I’d heard there had been a drop that day and figured I’d be lucky to find a bottle of BT left. The store had obviously been metering bottles out during the day rather than reward the 9:00 line.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t know shit, but where I shop I simply asked the guy. He made it sound pretty easy. Money and volume. The more of their products you move, the higher you go on the allocation chart. He also claimed that stores that get a rep for moving products no one else can, earns you extra benifits. It seemed pretty clear what a store has to do to get the unicorns. Sell a lot of booze.

• Hook 'Em 1