Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I don’t know shit, but where I shop I simply asked the guy. He made it sound pretty easy. Money and volume. The more of their products you move, the higher you go on the allocation chart. He also claimed that stores that get a rep for moving products no one else can, earns you extra benifits. It seemed pretty clear what a store has to do to get the unicorns. Sell a lot of booze.

Selling Wheatley Vodka is a special talent. Any store that can move that shit is talented. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, henrygandorf said:

so back in early january i got tipped off that a west coast chain restaurant was doing a whiskey of the month box, and they knew the picks from the first 5 months of the club.  the chatter also was that spots were limited, and to sign up then in order to get grandfathered in every month, and that you wouldn't be allowed to sign up right before the bottle you wanted, etc.

the closest location to me is huntington beach (about 55 min) but seemed like spots were filling up quick.  by later that day, all the locations were sold out.

january was high west double rye. 

february:

image.png.11ed1fb1948e3a24cf1331035216534d.png

then today i picked up this little guy (the reason i joined):

image.png.44e46e716d59ea2cc1b747a49f2842c7.png

april is a double box - buffalo trace + eagle rare.  may is blantons.  no info past that, but i'm happy with my decision.  car ride sucked.

also, yes, the elijah craig hat is awesome, and yes, it fits me terribly.  it fits my wife perfectly and now it's not my hat anymore.

Took a couple weeks but found a guy on eBay selling some of the EC hats. Already had someone ask me about it. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is the Pope Catholic? 

I have a EC 138.8 proofer that’s an older bottle that I got for my birthday last month. Haven’t gotten around to trying it. Was curious to see if it was too hot neat to get all of the flavors 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Both are great but I prefer the barrel strength over the Toasted.

It’s good for sure and I thought I liked barrel strength the best until I tried them side by side.  In either case, M10R having the highest secondary price of that group is madness. 

Edited by USCATX

Both are great but I prefer the barrel strength over the Toasted.

Same here. I loved the Toasted at first sip, but ended up liking it less over the course of a full pour. I think the Barrel Strength is the better bottle. Wouldn’t turn down the chance to buy either at retail, of course.
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 7:48 AM, SurlyGator said:

I have yet to have any Michters offering that wasn't strong.  Is there any variety that I should avoid to keep that streak intact?

most of michters bottles are not strong.

their barrel strengths are really the only ones that are, and they're far below other distilleries barrel str offerings.

Went by Garrison Brothers Distillery while on a short trip to Fredericksburg on the way to Enchanted Rock. The set up is nice, you can order a flight with tastings of the small batch, and two single barrels that you supposedly can only get at the distillery. They had free waters, soda, and beer which was pretty cool for the wife who is not a whisky drinker. They also have mixed drinks.

I will say they are PROUD of their product which was fine but does not warrant the price when compared to some of the other stuff we regularly discuss in here. When going into the gift shop to see if I wanted to take anything home, the employees were rude as hell when I didn't express my undying love for the single barrels. Also the honeydew was described as a great "sipping whiskey". I'm not sure what the other ones were to be used for.

18 minutes ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Went by Garrison Brothers Distillery while on a short trip to Fredericksburg on the way to Enchanted Rock. The set up is nice, you can order a flight with tastings of the small batch, and two single barrels that you supposedly can only get at the distillery. They had free waters, soda, and beer which was pretty cool for the wife who is not a whisky drinker. They also have mixed drinks.

I will say they are PROUD of their product which was fine but does not warrant the price when compared to some of the other stuff we regularly discuss in here. When going into the gift shop to see if I wanted to take anything home, the employees were rude as hell when I didn't express my undying love for the single barrels. Also the honeydew was described as a great "sipping whiskey". I'm not sure what the other ones were to be used for.

The cult vibe is strong at Garrison Bros, but it's not unlike Blue Bell saying their ice cream is the best in the world over and over again during tours. To their credit, Garrison Bros does do an excellent job of explaining their processes and the history of the distillery. It's a good tour. 

If Garrison Bros single barrels are as good as they think they are, then why are there cases of these sitting readily available in every Total Wine, Specs, Twin Liquors, etc. across the state?

You can find a single barrel of Garrison Bros as easily as you can find 1920 and we know 1920 is produced at a vastly higher rate.

22 hours ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

This a great story.  Not even sure I need to visit now since I’m 99% sure this is exactly how it would go down for me. 

We're skiing the northeast for 10 days of spring skiing.

A guy in an RV next to ours had battery trouble.  We fixed him up, and he was very proud to offer us some fine Vermont bourbon.  He was particularly proud of the fact it was finished with real maple syrup. 

Had to accept his kind offer, but note to self: never buy Vermont bourbon finished with real maple syrup. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

how about Rye from Vermont?

Is WhistlePig really rye from Vermont? I believe Piggyback is their one and only product that doesn't contain rye whiskey from Alberta. 

I'm off of the 100% rye whiskeys regardless of origin. They don't fit the flavor profile I'm looking for in a good rye. I'd much rather drink the barely legal and Barton ryes.